How late can you book a shore excursion onboard?

I'm looking at a shore excursion that would be on day 2 of my cruise next month. It's a long 9 hour excursion so whether we book the excursion or have a quiet day in town will be based on how exhausted we are after a week of pre-cruise vacationing.

Assuming it does not sell out, would I be able to book on embarkation day or would that be too late? I thought I saw somewhere that you have to book excursions 24 hours in advance. In case it matters, I'm on the Navigator out of Southampton.

Thanks!

I once went to the supervisor and ask if there is any vacancy just they were leaving for the land tour. The supervisor call the local contractor on his mobile phone and said there is and off I went with the group. But it might be just something in this part of the world with a local cruise line.

That's good to know. Thanks for replying so quickly! Your posts on this board have really helped me navigate my first royal caribbean cruise.

Another example, I had a dive scheduled at coco cay for day 2 of my cruise, The night before it was canceled. On the morning of day 2 I bookend another dive in Nassau and the ship communicated to the provider and they were waiting for me at the pier the next day.