Calling all Seasoned Cruisers: Irma thoughts?

Size12Stilettos

The last report I saw about Hurricane Jose, after passing over Barbuda and St Maarten, it is suppose to turn right and head into the Atlantic.

This is great news! I turned off the news with the growing emphatic political climate currently dominating our news cycle, but yesterday I watched NBC Nightly News and learned Irma was born as a tropical storm outside of Gambia in West Africa. She's been traveling the globe for over a month!

I was on Oahu for Iniki. Scary stuff.

I don't think cruise companies will be visiting ports that aren't ready for tourists. It's my belief itineraries will reflect the ports that are open and, more importantly, ready for business. I would book with confidence and plan on having a fun and guilt-free vacation.

Oh good! OK! Thank you so much for this!!!

So, I was due to cruise out on NCL's Escape out of Miami tomorrow, but got the news early in the week that it was being cancelled. Totally bummed. Found a good deal for upcoming cruises and wanted to ask: When is it too soon to cruise after a Category 5 storm? What could I expect? Is it perceived to be disrespectful to flaunt on vacation at a Caribbean destination devastated by a storm? Ports? Excursions? Should I wait until next month? Next year?

Seasoned cruisers, what were you were experinces with past storms? Thoughts to share?

Don't expect to cruise to the Eastern Caribbean for at least 8 - 9 months. The islands cannot accommodate their residents, much less visitors. If you want to go to the Eastern Caribbean do not book for at least 6 or 8 weeks to give the people in control time to figure out what is going on.

I was on Oahu for Iniki. Scary stuff.

I don't think cruise companies will be visiting ports that aren't ready for tourists. It's my belief itineraries will reflect the ports that are open and, more importantly, ready for business. I would book with confidence and plan on having a fun and guilt-free vacation.

Agree. When an island like St. Martin finally opens it might not be 100%, but it will be ready for business.

If you want to escape this winter, the cruise companies will find itineraries...but, there might be more sea days.

I would bet some of your cruise dollars will find their way into rebuilding some hard hit ports, the economies and the livelihood of the residents. The big companies need places to port these ships.

Many of the ports of call will likely be closed for quite some time, so the timing of when you can go and where you can go will not be up to you. Most Caribbean islands rely heavily on tourism, so visiting them when feasible would help them regain an economic foothold. But several islands have been hit very hard and the rebuild may take many months - or years.

But the bigger issue in my mind is the disruption and devastation to the lives of the residents of the islands affected. You may have lost a vacation and can always plan another, but many have lost everything and their lives will take a very long time to recover.

The same storm is about to hit Florida with the same potential for destruction there. IMO it's a matter of perspective, but worrying now about when to reschedule a cruise would be the last concern on my mind.

Well said

Sent from my RCT6603W87M7 using Tapatalk

Agree. When an island like St. Martin finally opens it might not be 100%, but it will be ready for business.

If you want to escape this winter, the cruise companies will find itineraries...but, there might be more sea days.

I would bet some of your cruise dollars will find their way into rebuilding some hard hit ports, the economies and the livelihood of the residents. The big companies need places to port these ships.

This was extremely helpful - thank you.

I don't mind sea days! And that's what I thought: if the cruise ships stop going to some of these places, that's lost money for them overall. I'm glad the cruise lines are making smart decisions with their itineraries.

Krazy's advice is best, provide the South Carribean goes unstruck between now and when Hurricane season ends in November.

The far southern region likely won't have any issues as those islands - Barbados, the ABC's, Trinidad and Tobago, Granada and the other islands off the coast of Venezuela - are not in the Caribbean hurricane zone. Hurricanes reaching that far south are very rare, so cruises to that region should be fine - assuming their departure ports (frequently San Juan) remain OK.

Press Release from Norwegian Cruise Line

Hurricane Irma Update

Miami, Florida, U.S. - Sep 09, 2017

Updated 2:30 PM ET (6:30 PM UTC)

Norwegian Cruise Line is continuing to closely watch the forecasted path of major Hurricane Irma and respond as necessary to ensure the safety of our guests and crew. We have cancelled this week’s scheduled sailings aboard our two ships that depart from Miami, Norwegian Sky and Norwegian Escape and both ships are currently navigating a safe course around the path of Hurricane Irma. Norwegian Escape is sailing at full capacity with approximately 4,000 displaced guests from both ships that were unable to secure flights back home. The ship is currently alongside in Cozumel, Mexico and will remain there until 7 a.m. Sunday, September 10. Guests who have secured flights home may disembark the ship in Mexico if they wish. Due to the devastation in the Caribbean caused by Hurricane Irma, all of Norwegian Escape’s upcoming Eastern Caribbean sailings will be altered to a Western Caribbean itinerary until November. All guests scheduled to sail on any affected cruises will be notified of the change.

Acting as a responsible corporate citizen and supporting the destinations that our ships operate in is a core value of Norwegian Cruise Line. In the wake of this devastating storm, we will be deploying Norwegian Sky from her current position off the coast of Cancun to St. Thomas to assist in humanitarian efforts coordinated by the local government.

We have (2) 10 nighters booked for the Virgin Islands. One 11/28/17 and one 11/30/18. It will be interesting to see what happens post-Irma. A lot depends on the help from the Government and the people. Only time will tell how long it will take for recovery.

We sailed to Cozumel 3 months after Hurricane Wilma sat on the island. We are talking 3 days of a Cat 5. There was no green vegetation, broken limbs and debris was scattered everywhere. The piers where we usually docked were gone. Nothing left but piles of crushed concrete and steel rebar sticking up out of the water. We returned a year later and 2 of the piers were finished and they were working on the third. We sailed out of New Orleans a couple of years after Katrina and the town was still junked up.

We have (2) 10 nighters booked for the Virgin Islands. One 11/28/17 and one 11/30/18. It will be interesting to see what happens post-Irma. A lot depends on the help from the Government and the people. Only time will tell how long it will take for recovery.

We sailed to Cozumel 3 months after Hurricane Wilma sat on the island. We are talking 3 days of a Cat 5. There was no green vegetation, broken limbs and debris was scattered everywhere. The piers where we usually docked were gone. Nothing left but piles of crushed concrete and steel rebar sticking up out of the water. We returned a year later and 2 of the piers were finished and they were working on the third. We sailed out of New Orleans a couple of years after Katrina and the town was still junked up.

Clackey, this perspective, particularly your experience after Wilma is extremely helpful. Wow.

My cruise has been cancelled and I've decided not to book next week after all the great feedback. I'm going to wait a little while. Not a year, but at least a month or so.

Thank you again! :*

I would be willing to cruise back to these islands hit by the hurricanes as soon as they open up. Yes I would temper my expectations of what to expect. My reasoning on this is that many of these islands depend on the tourist money as their main source of income. The longer the tourist money stays away, the longer it will hurt their economy.

I would be willing to cruise back to these islands hit by the hurricanes as soon as they open up. Yes I would temper my expectations of what to expect. My reasoning on this is that many of these islands depend on the tourist money as their main source of income. The longer the tourist money stays away, the longer it will hurt their economy.

Exactly, my thought