Question about ready, set sail...

Molecularblonde

Kazu and Ovgirl:

I misspoke. I do not have a TA. I bought the package over the phone with a HAL rep. I will call tomorrow to make certain I have all the facts but today the rep said, (as you said OVgirl),

We only have unlimited water, coffee/tea and lemonade and iced tea. Juice in the morning. So I think perhaps a wine package would be good for us. OV girl thank you for writing back so clearly and in blue. I appreciate it.

Does anyone know how the wine package works? If you get the bottles in your room?You don't get them all at once. You order them as you need them at any bar or dining room or speciality dining area.Not sure if you can order them into your room. What if you don't finish it all in one evening? What you don't use stays in your bottle and and is stored by the staff. Just ask for it at any bar/dining room, etc and they fetch it for you.Or want two bottles?Drink as many (including none) of your package bottles in one night as you want I can ask Guest Services on Monday.

Dee:Y

Until today I thought we had a $135 per person per day credit! Didn't realize it was that amount but for the entire week. Thank you for making it cledon'once, and again. We have a veranda room.

What does "OP" mean? Sorry. Is it a synonym of OBC?OP=original poster,in this instance its you.

What is the explore 4 promo?A separate offer that you have not purchased. It provides a 15 drink per day package described by Ovgirl plus a Pinnacle Grill dinner Also lower deposit and discount for 3rd/4th persons in cabin.https://www.hollandamerica.com/details?webItineraryIdForAudit=E8M20A&fromSearchVacation=true&guestsCount=2&voyageCode=K861A&selectedMeta=Interior&shipId=KO

Also, if purchase the seven bottles of wine package, do we bring the bottle to dinner? That feels awkward. I see that you wrote we can get them all at once. Or one by one.As noted above, one by one and you order as you want them, you don't need to carry around full or half full bottles. HAL keep tabs on what you have used.

Also, the HAL rep said that RS, (room service) was free. And that you could order also meals from the MDR if you wanted too? yes and yes

I'm sorry if I'm making it more complicated than it is. But at least we straightened out that the ready set sail doesn't include the SBP.

Everything will fall into place, I know. Either I buy the SBP or opt for the basic with an upgrade on wines. Just feels odd to bring wine to a meal. As stated above you don't need to.

Thanks

Hope this all makes sense, its been a confused thread despite everybody's best intentions. Enjoy your cruise.

Kazu and Ovgirl:

I misspoke. I do not have a TA. I bought the package over the phone with a HAL rep. I will call tomorrow to make certain I have all the facts but today the rep said, (as you said OVgirl),

We only have unlimited water, coffee/tea and lemonade and iced tea. Juice in the morning. So I think perhaps a wine package would be good for us. OV girl thank you for writing back so clearly and in blue. I appreciate it. FWIW the free coffee is make from a syrup and pretty "basic", especially if you drink it black! But, a cup or even two from the Cafe (espresso drinks -- but an Americano approximates "real" coffee) will not make the SBP worth buying.

Does anyone know how the wine package works? If you get the bottles in your room? What if you don't finish it all in one evening? Or want two bottles? I can ask Guest Services on Monday. You choose by the bottle, from a list according to which "level" package you buy (Navigator or Admiral). You may open two bottles at once (say, a white and a red). If you don't finish it, they keep it for you by some magic -- you don't even have to request it back in the same dining room!

Navigator choices: Piedra Negra Torrontes, Danzante Pinot Grigio and Moscato, Caliterra Chardonnay, Dreaming Tree Chardonnay, Greystone Sauvignon Blanc, Puerto Viejo Carmenere, Frescobaldi Remole, Chateau des Trois Tours Bordeaux, Deakin Estate Shiraz and Pinot Noir, Los Riscos Merlot, Tapena Tempranillo and Toro de Piedra Cabernet Sauvignon. A 15% service charge is included in the price of the package. Price for seven bottles is $228.85 or about $33/bottle.

Admiral choices: Tangley Oaks Chardonnay, Grace Lane Riesling, Estancia Pinot Grigio and Pinot Noir, Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc, Franciscan "Equilibrium" White Blend, Domaine Les Salices Chardonnay, Hayman & Hill Chardonnay, Spellbound Cabernet Sauvignon, Wente "Sandstone" Merlot and "Beyer Ranch" Zinfandel, Frescobaldi Castiglioni Chianti, Decero Cabernet Sauvignon and Cuarto Dominio Lote 44 Malbec. Gratuity included. Price for seven = $309.35 or ~$44/bottle.

Dee:

Until today I thought we had a $135 per person per day credit! Didn't realize it was that amount but for the entire week. Thank you for making it clear and again. We have a veranda room.

What does "OP" mean? Sorry. Is it a synonym of OBC? Original Poster, starter of the thread.

What is the explore 4 promo? Currently on for cruises in 2018 (maybe 2019 too), includes SBP, dinner at the upcharge steak/seafood restaurant Pinnacle Grill (price $35pp), reduced fares for 3rd/4th person in a room, reduced deposits on new bookings, OBC for suite bookings... yes I know that is 5... SOME itineraries and/or cabin categories increased by more than the value (not nec. price) of this program when it started! but not all -- you can ask HAL for the pricing with or without the promotion, to figure out if it is a value to YOU.

Also, if purchase the seven bottles of wine package, do we bring the bottle to dinner? That feels awkward. I see that you wrote we can get them all at once. Or one by one. As stated above, there is no need for you to keep the package wine in your room (unless you want to DRINK it there!). The sommelier will be happy to fetch and keep it for you. Not awkward. BTW you can also bring your own wine aboard -- a bottle per adult "free" but for consumption in your cabin only, and as many bottles as you want paying $15/bottle corkage for drinking anywhere (they put a sticker on the bottles that you pay corkage on). Be sure to carry all wine with you at boarding, not in checked bags. It isn't even awkward to have the sommelier open your own wine; you have paid for the privilege!

Also, the HAL rep said that RS, (room service) was free. And that you could order also meals from the MDR if you wanted too? Room service is free; it's nice to tip the runner $1-2 as that service is not included in the gratuity pool. I have never ordered from the MDR menu in room so will not comment on that. The printed RS menu is limited...

No apologies necessary, we were all newbies once!

Kazu,

Thank you for your replies. You have given me so much great information and I appreciate it. No worries about anything. We are all distracted by this incomprehensible force that is Irma. All my thoughts are with the people in FL now. It's going to be some ride. :o

Alberta, CrystalSpin and Nang,

By George I think I've got it! Thank you so much! I truly get it now, I don't know why I made it more confusing than it was. I truly thought it would be difcult for the staff to keep track of every guest's bottle of wine, but these individuals are great at what they do.

I will be certain to tip RS.

Thank you all again for the detail in your replies. It means so much to me. Truly!

MB

Keep in mind that the different packages (Explore4/Ready, Set, Sail) do change so WHEN you book can make a difference. I booked under Explore4 last Oct and received OBC, internet credit, SBP, Pinnacle Grill dinner, free gratuities and would have had the discounted 3rd/4th passenger if we had an extra passenger. The current Explore4 offer does not include the free gratuities or the internet credit so it is possible for 2 different people to have different perks under the same package name based on when they booked the package.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So I just showed my husband your great posts. We are so grateful for all of your help. We decided to opt with the seven bottle of wine package.

Last question...

1. So let's say my husband and are going to have dinner and we decide to go to the bar before hand and have a drink. Let's say we want a mixed drink. Should we prepurchase a beverage card? Will you save money by purchasing a beverage card? Or should we just "put it on the room"?

2.Also, do we share a beverage card? Or do we each purchase our own card?

3. My husband will want to drink in the room. Can we drink one of the seven bottles in the room?

4. People have said we can bring a bottle on board, as long as we don't put it in checked bags. So should I bring it in my purse or backpack? And I forget, that one does or doesn't not incur the courage fee?

5. Lastly, if we did order the SBP, I know the cap on the price of a drink is nine dollars. What if you are at the restaurant and there is no "wine by the glass" at that price?

Thanks.

So I just showed my husband your great posts. We are so grateful for all of your help. We decided to opt with the seven bottle of wine package.

Last question...

1. So let's say my husband and are going to have dinner and we decide to go to the bar before hand and have a drink. Let's say we want a mixed drink. Should we prepurchase a beverage card? Will you save money by purchasing a beverage card? Or should we just "put it on the room"?

There is no savings by purchasing a beverage card (except the card for soda/pop). Some people like to have it for the convenience of not having all their beverage purchases printed on their onboard account. They only need to track the balance after each purchase.

2.Also, do we share a beverage card? Or do we each purchase our own card?

If you decide to purchase one, you can both use the same card. If you purchase it before the cruise your name will be printed on the card, which is sometime helpful in that you know you are getting your own card back.

3. My husband will want to drink in the room. Can we drink one of the seven bottles in the room?

Yes, you can have one or more of your wine bottles in your stateroom.

4. People have said we can bring a bottle on board, as long as we don't put it in checked bags. So should I bring it in my purse or backpack? And I forget, that one does or doesn't not incur the courage fee?

You are entitled to bring 1 bottle per person when you initially board the ship without paying a corkage fee. This means you will drink the bottle in your room. You can bring one to the diningroom and the corkage fee will be added at that time.

5. Lastly, if we did order the SBP, I know the cap on the price of a drink is nine dollars. What if you are at the restaurant and there is no "wine by the glass" at that price?

If there is no wine listed for $9 or less, you can request a glass of wine from one of the other dining venues.

Thanks.

Hope some of these answers help you decide for your cruise.

Just had a look at my Guest Booking Confirmation.

On Page 1 under Guest Information, the last line is Onboard Credit $50

On Page 2 below the Cancellation Fees Schedule is Special Services and shows Pre-Paid Hotel Svc Charge Promo. No dollar value (not sure how much HAL's is these days) as it depends on the length of the cruise.

The Signature Beverage Package is NOT part of my Ready, Set, Sail booking. I wish! ;p

So, OP, if you booked under this sale, you don't need to use your OBC to pay the service charges since they're already paid.

I always purchase a wine package on whatever cruiseline I'm sailing. It saves a few dollars off the per-bottle price and I'm happy with the selections available in the least-expensive package.

Details of the wine packages can be found on HAL's website.

Just a little FYI..If you have a minibar in your room,the beverage card cannot be used for those purchases.

We purchased an electric candle for use on our veranda while we are enjoying a glass of wine there at the end of the evening. We brought our 2 bottles on board for that purpose specifically. You will need to find the table where they will label your 2 free of corkage bottles at the Pier (don't worry, it's easy to find and there are people to help you if you can't). You will not be charged corkage on those 2 unless you bring them to the dining room. If you are purchasing a wine package, I'd use that for the dining room and just drink the free of corkage bottles in your room.

NC

You wrote:

"Just had a look at my Guest Booking Confirmation.

On Page 2 below the Cancellation Fees Schedule is Special Services and shows Pre-Paid Hotel Svc Charge Promo. No dollar value (not sure how much HAL's is these days) as it depends on the length of the cruise.

The Signature Beverage Package is NOT part of my Ready, Set, Sail booking. I wish! clear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704"

I'm sorry that the SBP is not part of your package. Ugh. But still we both got a good deal.

However, I'm looking at my eleven page "boarding pass" I read all even pages and there is nothing about a special services schedule. There stuff about arrivals, cancellations, "guest drills", shipboard life, itinerary, and one page of contract but nothing about even my svc promo. I was at work all day so I will call the HAL rep tomorrow. You'd think it would be in the boarding pass.

Thanks for your help and your reply.

Dee:

Thanks for the heads up about the mini bar! That really helped!!! No beverage cards for us...

MB: Get the name of everyone you talk to at HAL, just to be on the safe side. I would believe the one who said they "saw" it (OBC and HSC), but ask for an email to be sent to you showing promo code and benefits. Then print it out. Then you can relax and get excited!

We're here for more questions if they come up.

NC

You wrote:

"Just had a look at my Guest Booking Confirmation.

The Signature Beverage Package is NOT part of my Ready, Set, Sail booking. I wish! clear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704"

I'm sorry that the SBP is not part of your package. Ugh. But still we both got a good deal.

However, I'm looking at my eleven page "boarding pass" I read all even pages and there is nothing about a special services schedule. There stuff about arrivals, cancellations, "guest drills", shipboard life, itinerary, and one page of contract but nothing about even my svc promo. I was at work all day so I will call the HAL rep tomorrow. You'd think it would be in the boarding pass.

Thanks for your help and your reply.

Dee:

Thanks for the heads up about the mini bar! That really helped!!! No beverage cards for us...

No, it is NOT and never has been on the boarding pass information; it is on the confirmation that would have been sent to you when you booked your cruise.

We have the Ready, set and sail promotion and there is nothing on the boarding pass information, but it is on the confirmation and final payment document we got from Hal. I will be bringing the confirmation with us. Should not be a problem we have had other promotions and they went as paid for.

Boards:

Thank you for the clarification. So that data is not on the boarding pass info. I will look at the old emails I received from HAL. I'm at work but hope to call them as soon as I get home.

To my friends out there....

I recieved and email today that said this:

"

A special upgrade offer just for you!Open the attachment for more details on this Preferred Limited Upgrade Specialspacer_10x10.gifRelax into a world of comfort and easy elegance aboard the luxurious ships of Holland America Line.

Enhance your cruise and reward yourself by taking advantage of a reduced rate to upgrade your accommodations. Call 1.888.628.8107 or 206.626.7381 to confirm today!

Hurry! Offers are first come, first serve — and space is limited!

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Nieuw Amsterdam on Sep 16, 2017. "

It was from HAL.

When I tried to click on it, I ended up in the iTunes Store. So, perhaps it's just a gimmick?

Thanks!

MB

Whoops!

I'm sorry. It was a PDF, duh.

So this is the promotion:

"PREFERRED LIMITED UPGRADE SPECIAL!!

To take advantage of this special offer, please call 888-628-8107

Upgrade for select bookings from your Verandah (Category VQ to VH)

to the following best available:

Signature Suite (Category SS to SZ) for an additional $299pp USD/$389pp CAD"

Would this be one time fee? Or a per night fee? Are they offering this to us because this suite is in an undesirable location? Like near the elevator?

Sorry, so many questions as always.

Thanks my friends!

MB

PS. I still have found no evidence of my OBC in writting. Can't wait to get home and call HAL

Whoops!

I'm sorry. It was a PDF, duh.

So this is the promotion:

"PREFERRED LIMITED UPGRADE SPECIAL!!

To take advantage of this special offer, please call 888-628-8107

Upgrade for select bookings from your Verandah (Category VQ to VH)

to the following best available:

Signature Suite (Category SS to SZ) for an additional $299pp USD/$389pp CAD"

Would this be one time fee? Or a per night fee? Are they offering this to us because this suite is in an undesirable location? Like near the elevator?

Sorry, so many questions as always.

Thanks my friends!

MB

PS. I still have found no evidence of my OBC in writting. Can't wait to get home and call HAL

It's a one time fee (but per person) for this "paid upgrade" or "upsell". If you want to upgrade yourself to a larger cabin, for a fee, then jump on this offer ASAP as they go quickly.

Hooray!

I finally got my itinerary printed and set!

Thank you all so much.

Not sure about this upgrade, but if you guys think it's a good deal, maybe we should hop on it?

It's "mid" ship and not "aft". We have been on whale watching boats and don't get seasick, so not certain if that matters.

I just know you all helped me pick my room of 7114 and I don't want a bigger room that is like by the restaurant or elevator....I'd love bigger but comparable.

Thanks Boards and Alberta!

Isn't there a promo right now for free drink package and a dinner in specialty restaurant? Don't know what it's called. My question is... Are the gratuities for the drink package included or are they like NCL and charged extra, in advance for the value of the full package? I have a real problem paying for tips on drinks that I probably won't drink-I might drink 4 per day but not 15.

Isn't there a promo right now for free drink package and a dinner in specialty restaurant? Don't know what it's called. My question is... Are the gratuities for the drink package included or are they like NCL and charged extra, in advance for the value of the full package? I have a real problem paying for tips on drinks that I probably won't drink-I might drink 4 per day but not 15.

Explore4 is the current promotion that includes the beverage package. Yes, the gratuities on the beverage package are include in the promotion.

M.Blonde:

I personally wouldn't take the upsell, but thought I'd lay out the major benefits for you: the room and the balcony are once-and-a-half as wide as the balcony room. There are two chairs (instead of one) along with the long sofa, and an additional credenza or long dresser as well as the desk and nightstands. The living side is square-er instead of narrow. The closet space appears the same. The bathroom has two sinks instead of one, in a longer vanity, and a shower stall IN ADDITION TO the tub-with-shower the balcony has.

Oh and the location. If you look at deck plans, the only SS on deck 5 are the two on each side of the ship that are just forward of the midship elevators - including the "view" elevators that stick out from the ship with 180-degree windows. The Signature Suites on deck 6 run from 'hump' to 'hump' with some of the SS are near that center elevator as well. None of the Signature Suites in question have noise issues from above or below; they are all sandwiched between other stateroom floors. You are dealing directly with HAL - are they telling you a cabin #? If no, then they are offering you a "guarantee" of at least a SS... and you need to be happy with the worst location. If yes, have the deck plan(s) open on your computer and decide on the spot... if you are tempted!

IDK, I just think I would rather spend $600 on wine, boat drinks at happy hour, lunch in Tamarind, dinner in Canalleto, and/or a train ride! But I won't say the SS isn't nice nor tell you how to spend your money!