San Juan port-Fascination

cruisekitty22

The Adventure of the Seas will not be returning to San Juan On Saturday. They will be going to Ft Lauderdale .Then return onMonday for San Juan with humanitarian aid and local Passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And there cruise that was to leave this weekend out of SJ has been delayed to the 27th as three night. They are allowing cancels for future credit but no refund.

Our Fascination cruise is scheduled for October 8 - little more than 2 weeks.

Even if that is a 'go', which is questionable, I'm not sure what we would do about flights -- we were scheduled to fly in day before and stay at Sheraton Old San Juan overnight; our flight home is not until 10/17, as we were planning 2 nights after the cruise at the Condado Plaza Hilton.

I have heartburn.:o

And there cruise that was to leave this weekend out of SJ has been delayed to the 27th as three night. They are allowing cancels for future credit but no refund.

RCI planning a trip for the 27th leaves a glimmer of hope for the Fascination sailing on the 1st... a very small glimmer.

If I were on the rescheduled RCI sailing I would rebook another cruise. Flights to PR are way to expensive to only go out for three days.

Even if that is a 'go', which is questionable, I'm not sure what we would do about flights -- we were scheduled to fly in day before and stay at Sheraton Old San Juan overnight; our flight home is not until 10/17, as we were planning 2 nights after the cruise at the Condado Plaza Hilton.

Have faith it will work out. The major Hotels have generators.

According to the FAA, the airport is closed basically until further notice except for military and hurricane relief. Obviously, this is subject to revision, but it's the best, primary source rather than some 3rd party news site, blog, or twitter feed.

Here's the raw NOTAM (notice to airmen) if you're interested.

!TJSJ 09/280 (TJSJ A1758/17) SJU AD AP CLSD EXC MIL AND HURCN RELIEF 1709211515-1909302100

Edited by TechieTravels

All cruise lines really care about is if the port is open. If it is open, I would assume cruises are a go. It isn’t their responsibility if you can get to port; however, unless you purchased airfare through the cruise line.

Well, it's not like most of the passengers can drive there, so the airport kind of goes hand in hand with the cruise port.

According to the FAA, the airport is closed basically until further notice except for military and hurricane relief. Obviously, this is subject to revision, but it's the best, primary source rather than some 3rd party news site, blog, or twitter feed.

Here's the raw NOTAM (notice to airmen) if you're interested.

!TJSJ 09/280 (TJSJ A1758/17) SJU AD AP CLSD EXC MIL AND HURCN RELIEF 1709211515-1909302100

Your correct. I retired 4 years ago from the field and didn't even think to look it up.

However I am showing 1709211515-1709302100

It . If I remember correctly it was notamed today at 1515z in effect til 09/30 at 2100z

Subject to change always.

[

Your correct. I retired 4 years ago from the field and didn't even think to look it up.

However I am showing 1709211515-1709302100

It . If I remember correctly it was notamed today at 1515z in effect til 09/30 at 2100z

Subject to change always.

[

Looks like it was corrected from when I posted. I was confused when I saw that the closure was ending on 9/30/2019 and assumed that was meant to represent "until further notice". Looks like 2019 was a typo and is corrected now. 9/30/17 at 2100z appears to be the scheduled open date/time according to the FAA. As with everything, subject to change.

Looks like it was corrected from when I posted. I was confused when I saw that the closure was ending on 9/30/2019 and assumed that was meant to represent "until further notice". Looks like 2019 was a typo and is corrected now. 9/30/17 at 2100z appears to be the scheduled open date/time according to the FAA. As with everything, subject to change.

!TJSJ 09/289 SJU AD AP CLSD EXC MIL, HURCN RELIEF ACFT, SKED AIR CARRIER, CARGO, LOCAL AIR TAXI DLY 1100-2100 1709221100-1709302100

They have now included scheduled flights.

Basically no general aviation. It's is up to the airlines when they will start flying. I heard the port is in good shape. However there is a dusk to dawn curfew.

Well, it's not like most of the passengers can drive there, so the airport kind of goes hand in hand with the cruise port.

Lots of passengers are local. And for those that aren’t it’s not really Carnival’s concern how you get there, from a liability standpoint. A cruise ship is like a floating hotel. If you book a hotel that doesn’t allow cancelations, if you can’t get there it doesn’t matter. Having said that I’m sure cruise lines will work with guests to allow them to rebook using future cruise credit, but they don’t have to.

Yes it there is not power on the island and that represents a serious problem for trying to turn a ship around. Not to mention the ship provisions there...that isn't possible. I believe they are trying to find a good turnaround port (very likely to be either Miami or fortlauderdale), deal with the folks on board who will have major logistical issues and then deal with the next cruise which is very likely to be cancelled because of the additional logistical and $ issues raised by turning around in an unplanned port. San Juan is out of the question.

And the hotels that had generators are now running out of fuel to run them and closing. Things are desperate for basic living in Puerto Rico.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

!TJSJ 09/289 SJU AD AP CLSD EXC MIL, HURCN RELIEF ACFT, SKED AIR CARRIER, CARGO, LOCAL AIR TAXI DLY 1100-2100 1709221100-1709302100

They have now included scheduled flights.

Basically no general aviation. It's is up to the airlines when they will start flying. I heard the port is in good shape. However there is a dusk to dawn curfew.

Looks like airlines plan to start flying there again tomorrow and Sunday. Tourist infrastructure will be extremely limited, though, with the priority on rescue and recovery.

A day old but according to this....

http://www.travelagentcentral.com/cruises/latest-caribbean-cruise-changes-from-hurricane-maria-irma

Carnival (and assume RCI NCL etc) is waiting for "reports and ADVICE" from port of SJ and gov agencies about what to do and when. Nothing to be done in a vacuum that may cause counterproductive confusion for everyone. There is also some info in that link about texting to get updates on Fascination. I didn't try it (don't need to) so don't know if it works or not.

(2 changes in this post bcs I read the article too quickly the first time, sorry for confusion)

Edited by cruziJenn

Hi All .... Let us think this through for cruising out of San Juan in the near future.

1. In the next few weeks those with booked flights should be able to fly into San Juan BUT

2. Hotels ... how do you know your hotel will be functioning and at what level AND

3. Taxi & transportation ... assume most transportation infrastructure destroyed

4. Island supplies would be in short supply

I think it is outrageous that the cruise lines don't make a longer term call .... say the next two months to let us know what they plan to do ..... if they plan to move the ships from San Juan for a while ,,,, we can work with the airlines to adjust and fly into say MIA or FLL or TPA or where ever ... if they cancel, then we can book another cruise but if they leave us hanging until a few days before our departure ..... this is terrible.

Hi All .... Let us think this through for cruising out of San Juan in the near future.

1. In the next few weeks those with booked flights should be able to fly into San Juan BUT

2. Hotels ... how do you know your hotel will be functioning and at what level AND

3. Taxi & transportation ... assume most transportation infrastructure destroyed

4. Island supplies would be in short supply

I think it is outrageous that the cruise lines don't make a longer term call .... say the next two months to let us know what they plan to do ..... if they plan to move the ships from San Juan for a while ,,,, we can work with the airlines to adjust and fly into say MIA or FLL or TPA or where ever ... if they cancel, then we can book another cruise but if they leave us hanging until a few days before our departure ..... this is terrible.

Yeap!

I can only assume the logistics folks are working diligently on figuring out where to port/provision/itinerary issues... I believe they want to make sure they have a viable plan before announcing it, otherwise it could cause even more confusion. There is more to it than just announcing a plan, there are port schedules, port capacity/manning, resupply issues, government clearances, transportation etc.... I would think common sense would dictate that porting on Saturday in San Juan is a no-go (unless it is for dropping off PR residents) then going on to another safe port so others can disembark (and coordinating transportation)... I will hope they will announce firm plans by this afternoon...

We too are flying in on the 7th and staying at the Sheraton in Old San Juan.

My source tells me that the cruise, flights, and hotels will be up and running days before we arrive.

Fingers crossed, we'll be patiently waiting...

My source tells me that the cruise, flights, and hotels will be up and running days before we arrive.

Fingers crossed, we'll be patiently waiting...

We have a Cruise scheduled in January, and we are staying at Old San Juan Sheraton a day before boarding and the Condado Plaza Hilton a day after. Must be the thing to do. :cool:

OK, so we are booked on Fascination Sept 24. NO CALLS FROM CARNIVAL, NO NOTICES, all phone calls to Carnival say they will know and will send an update by 1 today, nope, no update, my flight has been cancelled so I cannot get there. There is no way that ship is leaving on Sunday. The fact that Carnival cannot let us know, is selfish and unprofessional!!! They would know by now if they were able to get the ship that is sailing in the ocean now, back to port. Other cruise lines are not entering PR. WHAT THE HELL?

Given the current state of things there, yours is an impressive 'source' indeed!

I'm currently on the fascination. We have been told that we will get an update in the next couple of hours. Almost everyone's flights from San Juan on Sunday have been canceled so I suspect we will end up going to a different port. I'll update you all as soon as I hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

San Juan, Puerto Rico. Closed.

The port of San Juan bounced back quickly after Irma passed nearby, with cruise ships pulling into the historic city just days after the storm's passing. But it's been closed since Maria approached Puerto Rico on Tuesday. Maria made landfall on Puerto Rico on Wednesday as a powerful Category 4 hurricane — the first hurricane of that strength or higher to directly hit the island in 85 years — and early reports are of significant damage in many locations. Still, on Thursday afternoon, Royal Caribbean said it expected to be able to resume operations out of the port on Wednesday with a shortened sailing of its 3,114-passenger Adventure of the Seas.

Adventure of the Seas is based in San Juan and originally had been scheduled to depart the city Saturday on a seven-night voyage to the Southern Caribbean. Instead, it will operate a three-night trip to Antigua and St. Kitts. Also based in San Juan is Carnival's 2,056-passenger Carnival Fascination, which is scheduled to depart the city Sunday on a voyage to the Southern Caribbean. The line is promising an update on the trip soon.

Link to list of ports open and closed:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2017/09/21/your-caribbean-cruise-destination-still-open-port-by-port-look-after-irma-maria/685467001/

Given the current state of things there, yours is an impressive 'source' indeed!

I don't necessarily doubt that source. They will be working to get San Juan back on the grid ASAP. They desperately need the revenue from cruises and tourism to rebuild.

John Heald FB post from a few minutes ago:

So here is the latest news on Carnival Fascination

Itinerary Updates

09/22/17 – 3:30 PM (EDT)

Hurricane Maria

Carnival Fascination – San Juan

The Port of San Juan is currently closed. Fascination guests currently on board enjoyed a day in Antigua today and are now on their way to San Juan. Our intention is to be in position to dock this weekend, in the event the port re-opens, in order to give guests an opportunity to debark, if they wish to do so. Alternatively, guests may also remain on board as the ship repositions to Miami, where it will arrive on Tuesday afternoon and stay until Wednesday. Our airline partners are committed to working with our guests to waive any change fees associated with rescheduling flights.

Port officials have informed us that our terminal in San Juan has sustained extensive damage as a result of Hurricane Maria. The assessment is still in progress but it now appears that it will take several weeks to make the necessary repairs. Unfortunately, this means the following San Juan and Barbados sailings will have to be cancelled:

San Juan departures

September 24

October 1

October 8

Barbados departures

September 27

October 4

October 11

For all canceled cruises, a full refund will be automatically processed, including Fly2Fun reservations, pre-purchased Carnival Adventures, Fun Shop purchases and beverage packages. The refund will be processed to your original form of payment.

Given the circumstances, we are working with our airline partners to assist those guests with independent air travel regarding the waiver of change fees.

Additional information will be provided to our guests in an email later today.