Travel agent gifts when you cruise

MaryAnn261

Personally I don't think a gift is needed. Calls returned in a timely fashion and questions answered are all I ask for in a TA. I think it is unrealistic to expect a gift given that commision rates for TAs are not what they used to be. A thank you note is always nice and does not cost much except for the effort.

Personally I don't think a gift is needed. Calls returned in a timely fashion and questions answered are all I ask for in a TA. I think it is unrealistic to expect a gift given that commision rates for TAs are not what they used to be. A thank you note is always nice and does not cost much except for the effort.

What is the going commission rate for a TA?

What is the going commission rate for a TA?
Commission depends on lots of things and the agent certainly does not get it all. I can tell you and my fellow TAs will agree we don't do this for to get rich. It is a rewarding job as most of the time it is a happy time for everyone. NMnita

Amen........I wish I made as much commission as a Realtor then I could give a real NICE "gift";)

Believe me, it dosen`t matter if you give some clients a gift (I do, not always) if they can get it cheaper next time.........they will be outta there in a shot.

Notice I said "some". My long term good clients I treat very well.

Boy isn't that true? NMnita

This is a real hoot as most of the gifts mentioned are purchased with group amenity points.... not out of the agents' wallets.

I just booked 14 inside cabins on the Majesty. 14 bottles of decent wine would run me about $30 each. My commission per cabin.... $30 after the agency takes their cut. Ouch!

But each cabin will get a bottle of wine.... purchased with my group amenity points.

I'd sure like a realtor's commission check, too! Come to think of it, I've never received a gift from any realtor, mortgage company or title company at closing. But, I didn't expect one either!

Clients are better served with exemplary service.

I feel better already! As a Realtor, not only do I give exemplary service, but for less than 6%! In addition, I spend a hefty amount of my own commission on a gift for my clients - each and every closing (annual Christmas presents as well). I assure you that my clients appreciate it and my business reaps the benefits of this personal touch. A small token of kindness DOUBLED with extraordinary service certainly keeps consumers happy - this post has determined in every aspect. Personal purchases like vacations and real estate deserve a special amount of attention both at the purchase and follow up.

Perhaps I've been unusually lucky. When we closed on our house, our realtor gave us $500 towards appliances. We bought a REALLY nice dishwasher, and thank her frequently.

We booked our first three cruises through the same agency, and left there because of inept service. We're really not too challenging--we call and advise the ship, sailing date, and stateroom category we want, and provide a credit card number for the deposit. To screw that up a couple of times was beyond belief. There are no gifts that would make it worth staying with that agent.

Our current TA came highly recommended, and she is a jewel. I genuinely feel like she's looking out for us. One thing I appreciate is how she includes with the documents a thank you note that advises us of a gift, and what it is. That was handy last December when Celebrity managed to "lose" records for all three couples in our party of the wine the agent had ordered. (The way they handled that, they pretty much "lost" us.)

When our beloved TA was on maternity leave, I tried to deal with others in her office, with very poor results, and went elsewhere.

Thank heavens she's back and taking care of our needs! At this point, we've booked about 15 cruises through her. The rates aren't always the lowest, but the service is worth it.

Hats off to great TAs! Carla

Commission depends on lots of things and the agent certainly does not get it all. I can tell you and my fellow TAs will agree we don't do this for to get rich. It is a rewarding job as most of the time it is a happy time for everyone. NMnita

Yeah, I kind of thought someone would answer like this. ocngypz, thanks for providing a little more info.

I've booked two cruises through the same travel agent and never recieved any gift from her. She is a good agent. She helped us pick our first cruise, which was on NCL and we've been hooked.

Our second cruise that we booked through her was our honeymoon. Now on that cruise, I think she should of sent a little something. She knew it was our honeymoon, but I guess she didn't pass this info onto RCL. They gave us seperate beds. lol.

Our last cruise and the next one we booked online. Cheaper and actually easier. I don't have to go pick up the tickets from the office.

How much do you make:rolleyes: Can we have more info??

Are the realtors who share that their commissions are 5-6% telling us how much they make? What you make at the end of the year--which is something I'd never ask anyone else--really depends on your industriousness and attitude, doesn't it?

A pleasant and professional attitude: the reason why some travel agents give their clients gifts and others get gifts from their clients. The TA I just used was efficient, courteous, helpful and unsarcastic. Like I said upthread, I'm sending her a thank-you gift.

This is a real hoot as most of the gifts mentioned are purchased with group amenity points.... not out of the agents' wallets.

I just booked 14 inside cabins on the Majesty. 14 bottles of decent wine would run me about $30 each. My commission per cabin.... $30 after the agency takes their cut. Ouch!

But each cabin will get a bottle of wine.... purchased with my group amenity points.

I'd sure like a realtor's commission check, too! Come to think of it, I've never received a gift from any realtor, mortgage company or title company at closing. But, I didn't expect one either!

Clients are better served with exemplary service.

you are talking about groups. Your office works one way but not all work the same; every gift I send comes out of my pocket!!!! As for gifts from realtors, we have often gotten something; usually a gift certificate. NMnita

I feel better already! As a Realtor, not only do I give exemplary service, but for less than 6%! In addition, I spend a hefty amount of my own commission on a gift for my clients - each and every closing (annual Christmas presents as well). I assure you that my clients appreciate it and my business reaps the benefits of this personal touch. A small token of kindness DOUBLED with extraordinary service certainly keeps consumers happy - this post has determined in every aspect. Personal purchases like vacations and real estate deserve a special amount of attention both at the purchase and follow up.

Amy, I did the same when I was a real estate agent many years ago. Of course service is much more important than a gift. What is a gift if the service sucks? As an TA I hope I offer the best in service possible and I have a wonderful boss to help when I need it, I still think that little OBC, bottle of wine or whatever is a really nice addition. Chose between the two, Obviously service but what's wrong with offering both, right? NMnita

Are the realtors who share that their commissions are 5-6% telling us how much they make? What you make at the end of the year--which is something I'd never ask anyone else--really depends on your industriousness and attitude, doesn't it?

A pleasant and professional attitude: the reason why some travel agents give their clients gifts and others get gifts from their clients. The TA I just used was efficient, courteous, helpful and unsarcastic. Like I said upthread, I'm sending her a thank-you gift.

I was responding to your response. You didn`t like the answers from the TA`s.

I guess that I am defensive (not by you). It seems that either the board bashes TAs (a few , like you appreciate them) or if they use them, some expect them to work for nothing and give them a gift to boot.

Maybe I need a vacation:D Actually sarcasm is part of my unique charm:rolleyes: ;)

I've never known my TA not to give a nice gift (of course we're dating, so maybe I get special treatment). But I know he keeps a healthy inventory of travel related gifts to send to clients with their travel documents, like photo albums and leather document folders. Everyone I know who has booked with him has recieved some little token of appreciation. In this day and age it's just good business sense to make the effort to endear yourself to people; I'm in manufacturing and you can bet that for any occasion where it's appropriate I make sure to pass along some friendly token to my customers as well.

As a travel agency owner i have a very mixed bag of opinions on the whole "gift to a client" idea.

I get my agents that work for me asking me on a daily basis what they should do for a gift for their clients.

My opinions on giving a gift will depend on the client themselves, in 99.9% of situations i will give them a token of appreciation along with their tickets when they pick them up or i mail them out. Or i will send them a nice gift to their cabin up on arrival on the ship.

The ones that really get me are the ones that step foot into the office, ask for pricing and then all of a sudden come up with the good old lines "can you match or beat so and so's price"..........now there is nothing wrong with them asking me that, but what really gets under my skin is the people who want the 10 thousand dollar vacation for 5 bucks.

I have heard of instances where people like that will return home, wine and complain that their TA didnt give them anything...............give you heads a shake people...........you entered an agency fully expecting a large discount, and you expect a gift as well? You cant have your cake and eat it too

Type of gift in my opinion varies on the fact of:

1. The cost of the trip

2. If they are returning clients of mine

3. Demanded the whole discount thing

....there are others as well, but i will spare everybody the insanity of reading my list

Not once have i ever received a gift from a client upon their return from their vacation..........not that i am complaining because it doesnt really matter to me as i have been to most places that i send people......nor would i ever expect a gift from a client, their business and kindness towards me is more then enough.

I have given gifts of wide variety's, anywhere from a bottle of wine, to a shipboard credit, to specialty restaurant reservations, to pre-paid gratuities, to pre-paid photos on the ship.............i even gave a client a 300 dollar per person shore excursion once.

Like i mentioned above, it depends on a lot of things as to what kind of gift i am going to give, and i am the kinda person who puts some thought into things, not just "here you go, have a good trip, cya later"

Well those are my views on the gift idea, hopefully i didnt bore anybody to sleep

Mike,ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Just kidding:D (my endearing sarcasm)

Very well put,and how I run my agency. My outside agents give their own "gifts" if they want to.

To put it into perspective, the best thank you that I ever gave was a private limo to JFK (from PA) and a very large basket filled with all things Irish, Waterford Chrystal., Belleek, Irish Linen, books and food stuffs. The booking was over $40,000.00 to Ireland:D

Mike,ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Just kidding:D (my endearing sarcasm)

Very well put,and how I run my agency. My outside agents give their own "gifts" if they want to.

To put it into perspective, the best thank you that I ever gave was a private limo to JFK (from PA) and a very large basket filled with all things Irish, Waterford Chrystal., Belleek, Irish Linen, books and food stuffs. The booking was over $40,000.00 to Ireland:D

Thanks for the sarcasm Ann, put a smile on my face :) nice to see sense of humor around here

Very nice gift for the Ireland trip, i had a similar one to Australia for a client, same type of deal, rather large gift with various different things and also a nice surprise for her when she got to Australia

Perhaps I'm reading your post the wrong way, but it seems that those who pay more (and don't bargain with you) get the gifts, the others don't.:p :rolleyes:

Yup you are reading it wrong

It was not meant to come across that way

I have people bargain with me for 10, 20, 30 thousand dollar trips, doesnt mean they arent going to get a gift

The lower end ones i was refering to were the 199 type specials, where it is dirt cheap to start with and they want it even lower

Hope that clarifies things

Perhaps I'm reading your post the wrong way, but it seems that those who pay more (and don't bargain with you) get the gifts, the others don't.:p :rolleyes:
I'm not sure that is what was meant but of course the more the vacation the more the gift usually will be. This holds true if we are asked to match another agency's price and it is much lower than ours. In my case, I do not care who you are, I always try to give something that says thank you for your business and have a great trip. If my commission is going to be $50 I certainly am not going to throw in a $50 OBC. I would end up with a bit negative: On the other hand if you are a client that books several times a year, you send me referrals constantly, do half of the work yourself and take top of the line vacations I am not going to send you a plate of chocolate covered strawberries to your cabin. The interesting thing, the clients that I value the most seem to be the ones who do send my thank you gifts: I love it but am always amazed. Again, I value all my clients, but some are much more financually satisfying. NMNita

Mafig,

The "thank you" is based on the booking and commission involved( commission varies BTW)

If the commission is only $100.00 how are we expected to give a $50.00 bottle of wine or OBC or whatever?? PLUS clients want a discount which comes from our commission.

These bookings will get a nice document holder (not paper) with my agency`s name on it and I call it advertising:D

So, in other words, if I get a nice givt, I've "overpaid."

I understand, truly I do.

However, a previous TA stated something to the effect that if a client asked her to match a price, that client wouldn't get a gift. OK....here's my perspective. If I have a TA I like and I am "shopping" prices, I will ask that TA to match the price. I feel that's a compliment to her/him based on previous service. You guys feels I'm trying to strip you of your commission and you're almost insulted by my doing this. :( Fine, just give me your best price, please don't aske me to come back if I find something lower, because I won't.

However, a previous TA stated something to the effect that if a client asked her to match a price, that client wouldn't get a gift. OK....here's my perspective. If I have a TA I like and I am "shopping" prices, I will ask that TA to match the price. I feel that's a compliment to her/him based on previous service. You guys feels I'm trying to strip you of your commission and you're almost insulted by my doing this. :( Fine, just give me your best price, please don't aske me to come back if I find something lower, because I won't.

Do you realize in order to match "that price" the agent or the company may have cut a commission so that $200 commission became a $75 one? This is the point. Probably company B that was offering a lower rate that company A was asked to match was doing some commission cutting as well and probably isn't the type that does include thank you gifts. NMNIta

We are getting off topic here, sorry. This is what I commented on to Droopy. No one expects a TA to make money, well many anyway. Yes I am insulted that you want me to give you part of my "salary" that I get from the suppliers.

And just as I said to Droopy.......no matter how good I am and what service I give.......if you find something "lower" you are outta here. So many of the agencies that were "lower" are not around anymore because they gave everything away. When they are ALL GONE believe me you will pay "higher". Simple economics.

I would rather have a client, like Droopy, that values me and my work and I will always welcome her back.....AND I WILL GIVE HER A GIFT:D

How do you feel that you "overpaid" ?

Archived