Bringing something home from Cuba

sk8beaker8

Turn left out of the terminal and take a walk along the waterfront down to the Artisan's market.

It's huge, and you'll find the usual tourist detritus (T-shirts, etc), but also a large selection of locally made art and crafts.

Is the locally made arts and crafts really made in Cuba or like almost everywhere we have traveled in recent years, "made in China?"

Is the locally made arts and crafts really made in Cuba or like almost everywhere we have traveled in recent years, "made in China?"

Well, since the US embargo and the collapse of the USSR, Cuba has needed help from elsewhere, and China has stepped up. I've read that the tour busses come from China.

So, take a close look at the obvious soovie suspects, some are probably indeed made in China, but there are plenty of unique local items as well.

There is a large art section towards the back. Some appear mass produced, but again, buyer beware, there are also some nice pieces. I had my eye on a painting on day 1 that I planned to return and buy day 2, but I was too exhausted to go back.

Planning to go there first thing on my return visit next year.

Turn left out of the terminal and take a walk along the waterfront down to the Artisan's market.

It's huge, and you'll find the usual tourist detritus (T-shirts, etc), but also a large selection of locally made art and crafts.

Nice to know...we leave October 19th. By chance did you use the valet parking at the port of Tampa?

Yes! Highly recommended and worth every penny.

I did walk off, and was in my car on the way home by 7:15.

Do you know if your car was in the covered garage? I seen where someone posted that valet parked cars were not parked in the covered garage.

Well, since the US embargo and the collapse of the USSR, Cuba has needed help from elsewhere, and China has stepped up. I've read that the tour busses come from China.

So, take a close look at the obvious soovie suspects, some are probably indeed made in China, but there are plenty of unique local items as well.

There is a large art section towards the back. Some appear mass produced, but again, buyer beware, there are also some nice pieces. I had my eye on a painting on day 1 that I planned to return and buy day 2, but I was too exhausted to go back.

Planning to go there first thing on my return visit next year.

When we were there in May, the bus that we were on was made in China. It looked very similar to most of the other buses.

Do you know if your car was in the covered garage? I seen where someone posted that valet parked cars were not parked in the covered garage.

I don't like to leave my car outside, either. I called ahead of time and they assured me it would be under cover.

Now, I can tell you, that at pick up, there was dew on the glass, and it had clearly been outside for a little bit. For my own serenity, I choose to believe that they brought the day's cars out to a lot nearby the terminal either early that morning, or the night before.

I will say that the car was not filthy, like it is when I park at a friend's hotel's lot in Dania when cruising from Ft. Lauderdale.

I don't like to leave my car outside, either. I called ahead of time and they assured me it would be under cover.

Now, I can tell you, that at pick up, there was dew on the glass, and it had clearly been outside for a little bit. For my own serenity, I choose to believe that they brought the day's cars out to a lot nearby the terminal either early that morning, or the night before.

I will say that the car was not filthy, like it is when I park at a friend's hotel's lot in Dania when cruising from Ft. Lauderdale.

Thanks, I think we will give it a shot and hope the car is parked inside. Sounds like it was super easy.