Getting Around Anchorage

mayinindy

We are planning to stay in Anchorage for a couple of days and due to hotel points I'm looking at staying at Hilton properties. There is a Hilton in what appears to be downtown, but the Hilton Garden Inn I would prefer to stay at does not appear to be downtown. If we aren't renting a car, how difficult is it to get downtown? It doesn't appear the Hilton Garden Inn is that close to a public train stop. Any advice would be appreciated.

There’s a bus stop a 5 minute walk from the Hilton Garden Inn. Bus runs every hour and more during peak times. $2 or $1 for seniors. It’s nice to have a car in that area but with a little inconvenience, the bus works fine. Taxi would be about $15 to downtown from there. There are a few restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.

We are also using HiltonHonors points for our stay in Alaska next June. Because of the size of our family (6) we usually stay at Embassy Suites and have reserved Embassy Suites. I talked to them in addition to some research and they have a complimentary shuttle that goes to the airport, downtown and a few other areas. Plus a great breakfast everyday which helps with 4 growing kids!! Hope that helps...

Without a car, I would definitely stay downtown. Is the Hilton Garden in midtown?

I've been twice. Once downtown without a car. We could walk to everything. Once in a different area with a car. I drove everywhere. Can't imagine not having a car and not being in walkable distance to everything.

• 1 month later...

If you have no car, you will want to stay downtown at the Hilton. It is not far from the mall and restaurants. The bus service in Anchorage is not for tourists. If you want to see more of Anchorage, a car is a necessity. We used points at the Hilton downtown. They had this massive bear statue in the lobby I recall. I do not recall if there was an Executive Floor or not. We did not use it anyhow.

We are planning to stay in Anchorage for a couple of days and due to hotel points I'm looking at staying at Hilton properties. There is a Hilton in what appears to be downtown, but the Hilton Garden Inn I would prefer to stay at does not appear to be downtown. If we aren't renting a car, how difficult is it to get downtown? It doesn't appear the Hilton Garden Inn is that close to a public train stop. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi! We stayed here back in August. Very nice hotel. Employees were very pleasant and helpful. You do not have to have a car if you are just wanting to stay local. The Hotel has a shuttle that you can take any where in Anchorage. They picked us up from the airport. We just had to call upon our arrival and request the shuttle. all that was needed to do to go anywhere was to let the front desk know where and when you wanted to go. They also told us just to call when we were ready to return to the hotel. The drivers were wonderful. Full of a lot of knowledge about the area and suggestions on places to eat etc. You can walk anywhere in the downtown area. The only place we couldn't take the shuttle was when we needed to go to a hotel not associated to meet up with our tour so we took an Uber. Hope this helps! Have a great time.

Marty