CASH for onboard purchases

Beachgirl676

Is this Reaganomics? You still spent $1000! Whether it's in Cruise Cash .... credit card ... debit card or cash. WHY bother with a potential of a lose it situation?

Think outside of you're own little box.

If you still can't figure out how this might be beneficial to some, then come back and we'll enlighten you.

I haven't seen anyone address this so I'm throwing it out there - I saw a line at guest services constantly. Personally I don't want to waste my precious cruise time in line so I had everything pre-paid and put down my credit card. For the few purchases we made on board, my sister had ordered us cruise credit so it covered almost all of our incidental charges (camera batteries died, etc.)

I'd rather handle those kind of things on land at home and use my ship and port time wisely, Just a thought!

I haven't seen anyone address this so I'm throwing it out there - I saw a line at guest services constantly. Personally I don't want to waste my precious cruise time in line so I had everything pre-paid and put down my credit card. For the few purchases we made on board, my sister had ordered us cruise credit so it covered almost all of our incidental charges (camera batteries died, etc.)

I'd rather handle those kind of things on land at home and use my ship and port time wisely, Just a thought!

One of the reasons that I buy FTTF (but only one of them). We also normally purchase a small amount of Cruise Cash so that we can wait until day 2 or 3 before visiting.

Its been over a year since our last CCL cruise, but there used to be machines that would take cash next to the guest services desk that you could apply to your account. I used them to pay off part of our ending balance with the extra money we didnt use during port days.

So if you dont want to wait in the line, you that machine. I think it even took smaller bills and printed a receipt of the transaction for me.

Ok so my personal opinion is to secure the account with another payment option (I think the Debit amount secured hasn't gone over $100 for me if I add money before going over the amount secured. I did this once with a gift card). That way you don't have to worry about that morning of departure line. If you want to go the cash route, I'd probably prepay any drinking packages or gratuities to minimize cash carried on board. I've definitely seen the kiosks take money towards account but I'm not sure of the cut off of how it would work towards exact payment. If you don't want to prepay grat, I'd at least look at the exact amount so you can load that and then add on top rather than realizing you need to add it the night before debarkation.

As others have implied, do not allow privileges to anyone you do not want to be on the hook for the bill for (you specifically pick people with privileges for your card online). Even if that person says they are going to pay it off as they go, I've definitely been on a cruise with someone who had the unfortunate 'must see guest services' paper on the last morning. That person was planning on paying in cash but hadn't looked in to actual costs [ie gratuities plus their drinks plus auto grats. for a person who had cruised before she knew very little about the process. (I.E. complained when she realized there was a 15% tip on checks and then she tipped on the post tip amount)]. beforehand, unfortunately (she had a parent send her money before departure but just as an example of someone thinking it will all work out).

People will spend more when not handing out cash for all purchases so cruise lines make their customers charge purchases to their account.

I do not agree. Handling cash is a security concern aboard ship, both for the ship, and for you as a passenger.

I agree you should never use a debit card, but a credit card is fine. Making a cash deposit when boarding is perfectly acceptable.

I do not agree. Handling cash is a security concern aboard ship, both for the ship, and for you as a passenger.

I agree you should never use a debit card, but a credit card is fine. Making a cash deposit when boarding is perfectly acceptable.

TRUE .... Cruise lines discontinued using cash because of theft. I was 19, my first cruise and they DID accept cash for drinks then. I gave waiter a $20 for 1 drink = cost $5.00. He never gave me my change. He was walking all around me & my friends and I point blank asked him for my change ... He said no change you told me to keep as tip. WTH? $15 tip for $5 drink? I said NO I didn't. He disappeared .... I complained .... he said, she said .... never got my money.