Looking for a recommendation on an NCL ship

CruzanKris

We just completed our 30th cruise and we are Diamond on RoyalCaribbean. We have sailed on Carnival, Celebrity, MSC, Princess, Premier, and Holland America in the past. We would like to try an NCL ship to compare. We prefer the newer and larger megaships with all the bells and whistles. We love ships like the Harmony and the Allure of the Seas. I book cruises for the ships as the destination and the ports are not as important. Can you tell me a good NCL ship I should try?? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Easy...which port would you like to sail from? Alaska and Miami will have the brand new Bliss starting next year and in the spring the Escape will be relocating to NYC to cruise to Bermuda. While relocating in the spring and fall between Miami and Alaska, the Bliss will also be doing Panama Canal crossings as well as Mexican Riviera sailings from Los Angeles. Good luck. You could also try the brand new Joy if you wish to try the Chinese market.

Easy...which port would you like to sail from? Alaska and Miami will have the brand new Bliss starting next year and in the spring the Escape will be relocating to NYC to cruise to Bermuda. While relocating in the spring and fall between Miami and Alaska, the Bliss will also be doing Panama Canal crossings as well as Mexican Riviera sailings from Los Angeles. Good luck. You could also try the brand new Joy if you wish to try the Chinese market.

The Bliss looks amazing for next year, but in the meantime anything you can recommend that is currently sailing? I'm retired from the airlines and we fly free for life. We live on the West Coast so we are used to flying to FL, NY, and all over Europe for cruises. I want to do Bermuda again next year, good to know the Escape will be doing that route? Have you done the Escape?? Thank you again! Kris

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, have sailed on the Escape three times in the past 14 months. A six night Western route last summer because of the Olympics, the regular 7 night Eastern last January and a unique 11 nighter last month because of Irma. She is a great ship, the only one I have sailed on 3 times out of my 30 cruises. I would try to get on a sailing in early December or early January when prices are low and then again for your Bermuda run over the summer. Good luck.

I think that an important question is which level of facilities.

I doubt that you are interested in an Inside or even an Oceanview, but would you be satisfied with a Balcony, or prefer a Haven Suite?

gary

We always book a balcony, and have done a Jr. Suite. The Haven sounds amazing but I understand the price is $$. It might be out of our budget, it just depends if they have good promotions. We are flexible when we sail

We always book a balcony, and have done a Jr. Suite. The Haven sounds amazing but I understand the price is $$. It might be out of our budget, it just depends if they have good promotions. We are flexible when we sail

Have not read anywhere about the Haven ever having promotions, just the occasional bidding process that could save you money. A better alternative would be the Yacht Club on the Seaside or the Meraviglia once she relocates here in 2019. Substantial savings versus what NCL wants for the Haven and many that have cruised both rave about it being a better experience at a substantially less price point.

Recommendation would be the Escape out of Miami. NCL’s, launched in 2015, is NCL’s second newest ship which is roughly a Quantum class ship. While NCL prides itself on “freestyle cruising”, megaships require a certain amount of crowd control, so you need to book the main shows and specialty dining. But, there are no assigned dining times in the main dining rooms and casual (shorts) dining in all main dining rooms and most specialty restaurants (doesn’t mean you can’t dress up, just not required).

Alternate is the Breakaway out of New York. Further away, the Getaway currently sailing out of Copenhagen. The Epic is NCL’s first megaship sailing out of Barcelona. And NLC’s newest ship, the Joy, built for the Chinese market sailing out of China.