Any upgrade sucesses calling your NCL PCC?

arsa

We sail on the Breakaway Nov 26th.We have two mini-suites booked next to each other for my in-laws and us. I decided not to bid online for the upgrades even through both bookings got the upgrade email because I did not want to lose out on the mini-suites next to each other. With upgrades, you don't control where you get the rooms and my in-laws will not be comfortable away from us. We are still a little over 5 weeks out, and I have been watching the prices. The haven prices have gone slightly down. I was wondering if anyone was successful calling their PCC and being able to 'negotiate' for the upgrades. Any tips on timing or how to approach that conversation?

Edited by arsa
Spelling error

Ha I tried that and the lovely PCC didn't bother to respond to my inquiry. I'm already in a haven and am regretting this cruise after reading quite a few negatives about NCL in general. I thought I had a good idea how it all worked, but didn't put the time into research I should have. My fault.

I have a feeling the PCC will either be able to move you to a new room (at whatever price differential, as long as you're not past final payment) or point you to the upgrade desk (assuming it is still there.)

There are upgrades which are through the automated bidding system (you said you already had the emails) and they are slowly replacing the old upgrade desk - which used to call people to offer upgrades, but as the number circulated, began taking calls from people trying to upgrade themselves. (I have a feeling the people calling over and over is why they went to an automated blind system.)

Since you're past final payment, you really can't cancel/rebook, which is the standard way to get a better room. It's not really an upgrade, it's a trade - you pay the difference.

An upgrade is when you bid and the bid is accepted, but there is no telling where your new room will be - it's only a class of room in the bid.

They do not negotiate upgrades after final payment in general. You are not entitled to the new booking prices you are seeing online, and an upgrade at this point will likely cost you double what you have already paid. Even the upgrade advantage would cost you a lot more this close to sailing. I sail on Dec. 12th and recently called them to upgrade from a balcony to SF suite. I had paid about 3,600 for the balcony, but they quoted me 6,920 for the SF suite. Didn't feel like almost paying double, so I passed.

Forgot to mention that the new booking price for the suite was 5,400.

No. My PVC did not respond to my email. When I called his local number and he answered all chipper, his tone changed a bit when I asked. He told me could pay the difference which is a joke or bid online. He said bidding online is the cheapest way to go. Hope my bid is accepted. I had no power so I relied on family to book me a good one. Of course I HATE the cabin I have now. :o

I actually called the other day to see about getting a midship balcony cabin upgrade. I currently have a balcony cabin aft. They told me it would cost $400 more to move it.....ummm no thanks....it was on the same floor ;p

But a higher category so more expensive. You can upsell, but I haven’t heard about free upgrades in a long time, why would they when they have folks bidding on more expensive cabins.

Ha I tried that and the lovely PCC didn't bother to respond to my inquiry. I'm already in a haven and am regretting this cruise after reading quite a few negatives about NCL in general. I thought I had a good idea how it all worked, but didn't put the time into research I should have. My fault.

I’ve loved all of our NCL cruises, but I guarantee you that if you board expecting to be disappointed, you will be.

We were in a Haven Spa Suite on the BA this last August and had a delightful time. The Haven Restaurant and Bar staff are wonderful. The old adage, "you find what you are looking for," applies to cruises as well. Go expecting a good time and have a wonderful cruise!

I was wondering if anyone was successful calling their PCC and being able to 'negotiate' for the upgrades. Any tips on timing or how to approach that conversation?

"Negotiate," probably not. But keep watching prices and if they drop to a point you're willing to pay, then by all means call (don't write) your PCC and ask to upsell into the higher category. We were able to do this with no hassle.