Mariner's Embarkation Lunch

tinykygal

After two HAL cruises we finally figured it out and were going to enjoy the embarkation lunch on our upcoming Panama cruise next month but were informed we cannot board until 2:30. Seriously?! LOL Just our luck. We don’t cruise that often. It will be several years before our next opportunity to enjoy time at sea.

Why do you have to wait until 2:30 to board?

We sail HAL lots and all I can say is that must be their choice. Only once in years have the cabins not been ready on embarkation. Perhaps these people were in a hurry to eat.....

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

Or newbies who weren’t “in the know”?

We haven’t cruised for 2 years, but have always dropped off our carry-on’s and headed for the MDR. Lido is too much of a zoo on embarkation day. [emoji13]

FYI: The “powers that be” always steer people to the Lido...NOT to the MDR. Strange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After two HAL cruises we finally figured it out and were going to enjoy the embarkation lunch on our upcoming Panama cruise next month but were informed we cannot board until 2:30. Seriously?! LOL Just our luck. We don’t cruise that often. It will be several years before our next opportunity to enjoy time at sea.

We couldn't board our ship one time until later because of Noro cleaning. When we got on, they still offered the lunch. I think we got on around 2 - 2:15 pm - P'dam Civi port. I don't know if 2:30 is too late for them to offer, but it might be worth a check at the MDR in case. they always say "Lido" so head to the MDR for the heck of it and see.

Why do you have to wait until 2:30 to board?

I believe they have a Coast Guard inspection or some such similar thing.

This is the email we received. We'll just enjoy the city a little longer than we planned.

"Please be advised that ms Oosterdam is scheduled to undergo a routine US Coast Guard Drill requiring participation from all crew members, which must be completed before our guests can embark the ship. Consequently, we are unable to provide early embarkation for this sailing from Fort Lauderdale. Instead, check-in will begin at 1:00pm and embarkation will begin shortly thereafter.

In order to enhance the check-in and boarding experience for all guests, please arrive at the check-in time indicated on the progressive boarding schedule below as there is limited seating and facilities at the terminal. We regret any inconvenience this may cause; we appreciate your cooperation and look forward to welcoming you aboard.

1:00pm - Deck 7 & Deck 8 (Rotterdam & Navigation)

1:45pm - Deck 4 & Deck 10 (Upper Promenade & Observation)

2:30pm - Deck 5 (Verandah)

3:15pm - Deck 6 & Deck 1 (Upper Verandah & Main)"

I just looked at my boarding pass for this weekend and it says my Embarkation time is 1:00. Wonder if that's when I'm actually supposed to show up at the terminal, or when I actually get on board? (1st time I've really noticed a time on the pass). I don't want to get there and wait outside in the heat, but what are we supposed to do when we have to check out of our hotel at 11:00 and we have all the luggage, etc? Could this be later because the ship is just coming out of dry dock/refurb?

I just looked at my boarding pass for this weekend and it says my Embarkation time is 1:00. Wonder if that's when I'm actually supposed to show up at the terminal, or when I actually get on board? (1st time I've really noticed a time on the pass). I don't want to get there and wait outside in the heat, but what are we supposed to do when we have to check out of our hotel at 11:00 and we have all the luggage, etc? Could this be later because the ship is just coming out of dry dock/refurb?

The 1:00 pm time is always on the boarding pass.

You should follow the instructions in the email posted above and arrive based on that.

You can either request a late check out at the hotel or request that your luggage be stored for you until you are ready to leave. Most hotels have no problem holding your luggage for you.

Then you are free to explore a bit, sit by the pool, etc until it is time to go.