LIVE - Freedom of the Seas Transatlantic - Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale - Oct 22-Nov 5

I have so enjoyed reading about your cruise! Was it hard to pack for 2 weeks or did you plan on having laundry done aboard? I. Also concerned that after 2 weeks my clothes wouldn’t fit so packing might be a real problem lol!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Debbie - I think being my third long TA cruise, I finally have the packing figured out! It WAS difficult to get it under 50lbs though! I took 5 pairs of pants for daytime (3 were leggings so they still fit just fine! Haha!), 3 pants for nighttime, 1 dress for formal nights (which I wore twice, and did pants on the 3rd one), about 8 tops for nighttime (some of which could be worn in the daytime after that), about 12 tops for daytime, 5 sundresses/cover-ups, 2 light denim jackets, 1 hoodie, 2 cardigans for dinner, and a few bathing suits. I did end up washing 2 of the daytime tops in the shower so I could re-wear them, and didn't wear 2 of the other ones i brought. In terms of shoes, I brought what could be worn with the most outfits. I'm done with bringing shoes that I only wear for 1 formal night. I brought 3 shoes for night, 2 shoes for day, and 2 sandals for day. That seemed to be the perfect amount of stuff for me, although I'm sure I could have got away with less clothes had I re-wore them more.

I don't bother with laundry onboard. I hang the majority of my clothes to dry and I don't want them getting wrecked in the ship's industrial washer/dryers. If I need to, I wash a few pieces in the shower (which then take 36 hours to dry).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Debbie - I think being my third long TA cruise, I finally have the packing figured out! It WAS difficult to get it under 50lbs though! I took 5 pairs of pants for daytime (3 were leggings so they still fit just fine! Haha!), 3 pants for nighttime, 1 dress for formal nights (which I wore twice, and did pants on the 3rd one), about 8 tops for nighttime (some of which could be worn in the daytime after that), about 12 tops for daytime, 5 sundresses/cover-ups, 2 light denim jackets, 1 hoodie, 2 cardigans for dinner, and a few bathing suits. I did end up washing 2 of the daytime tops in the shower so I could re-wear them, and didn't wear 2 of the other ones i brought. In terms of shoes, I brought what could be worn with the most outfits. I'm done with bringing shoes that I only wear for 1 formal night. I brought 3 shoes for night, 2 shoes for day, and 2 sandals for day. That seemed to be the perfect amount of stuff for me, although I'm sure I could have got away with less clothes had I re-wore them more.

I don't bother with laundry onboard. I hang the majority of my clothes to dry and I don't want them getting wrecked in the ship's industrial washer/dryers. If I need to, I wash a few pieces in the shower (which then take 36 hours to dry).

Thanks for the info. You must be a good packer too to get all that into a suitcase!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just had to chime in to say how much I too enjoyed your review and amazing pictures! I did the April TA on the Freedom and I loved every minute of it. It's such a great ship..staff is awesome too. Everything you wrote about brought the whole cruise memories back to me..thank you!!I loved those 7 sea days and they went by super fast..I have no idea what I actually did..lol! We hadmost of our meals at the Windjammer but I regret not checking out the dining room - especially at lunch. Most of my previous transatlantic crossings have been in the spring but I think my next one will be in the Fall. It's really hard to lose that hour of sleep continuously..though if it has to be then I like the way RCCL does it..at lunch time. Other cruiselines do it at night and you do feel very zombie like and confused most of the time..lol..

Thanks again!

Most of my previous transatlantic crossings have been in the spring but I think my next one will be in the Fall. It's really hard to lose that hour of sleep continuously..though if it has to be then I like the way RCCL does it..at lunch time. Other cruiselines do it at night and you do feel very zombie like and confused most of the time..lol..

!

Thanks for your kind comments! My first TA was an eastbound in the Spring of 2016 on the Independence! They too did the time changes at noon each day. The problem was, I felt like I just had breakfast and then had to eat lunch before it ended! Hahaha! I definitely prefer the westbounds with the extra hour gained each night, and the lack of jet-lag at the end! :) Also, the weather seems to be a lot warmer in the fall because the ocean is still warm from the summer.

Ah yes..that's the other thing..your poor stomach just can't keep up with the clock and you truly feel like there is almost no time between a late breakfast and lunch!! The one and only westbound TA that I've done was on the Celebrity Solstice and I did find the end oart so relaxing after the first hectic week of long days in the Mediterranean ports. It was in early December though which I think was too late in the year..there was a huge snowstorm somewhere on our debarkation day and the stress of trying to find a flight to take us home brought back all the stress that I'd lost during the crossing!! The one you just did is much better for sure!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. My first ta was on royal from Barcelona. It was almost ten years later that I️ got to take one again and have done the. For the last five years from Florida to Europe on celebrity. You brought back great memories of all of my trips. Now I️ can consider royal again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also like to thank you,

we were on this cruise together with you probably we have met without knowing who you was

reading this reminds me day by day what a wonderful adventure this was

this already seems so long ago and we are back from Wednesday but it feels already such a long time ago

loved to see again, day by day how lovely your cruise and also our cruise was

we had a great time

take care

xxx

Great fun. Between this and a parallel TA review from Reflection we can't wait to get one scheduled to celebrate RETIREMENT!!!

Thank you for drawing my attention towards that one! I read it over the past several days! We left Barcelona together and I was curious to know where they were going en route to FLL and what they were doing! [emoji3]

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. My first ta was on royal from Barcelona. It was almost ten years later that I️ got to take one again and have done the. For the last five years from Florida to Europe on celebrity. You brought back great memories of all of my trips. Now I️ can consider royal again.

So glad I could help you re-live your first TA! I really enjoyed my few cruises on Celebrity (both on M-class ships). I always told everyone that the food and service were better on Celebrity, but the Freedom of the Seas has made me change my opinion! I'd say they were very comparable. It's definitely worth checking out Royal Caribbean again IMHO! [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also like to thank you,

we were on this cruise together with you probably we have met without knowing who you was

reading this reminds me day by day what a wonderful adventure this was

this already seems so long ago and we are back from Wednesday but it feels already such a long time ago

loved to see again, day by day how lovely your cruise and also our cruise was

we had a great time

take care

xxx

I suspect that I came across several Cruise Critic members and didn't meet them all! I'm glad you've been able to relive your fabulous vacation through this report! I agree - it feels like so long ago already! I guess that means it's time to start planning the next one! Haha!

• 4 weeks later...