Regal Princess October 14 to 21, 2017 New England/Canada

Bimmer09

Crown Grill usually has doors but leaves them open so that the action kitchen can be seen by passers by and the smell of meats sizzling in a cloud of smoke can entice you in. Once in and seated in a booth away from the kitchen you can carry on a conversation in normal voice while some muzak tootles away in the background. The kitchen is always spotless.

26751131149_97415c00a3_b.jpg

Classic decor

26751123709_2ee01bb251_b.jpg

38526771771_40a5d9ca66_b.jpg

There's a New York theme

38526767331_b38828d27d_b.jpg

37639413575_373185829b_b.jpg

and a large wine selection

38495072202_4ea0cdda66_b.jpg

We didn't try it this time. Maybe next and we'll check the music schedule to make sure there is no band wailing. We agreed we were enjoying the MDR mucho. We'll no doubt have a make-up steak on The Crown Princess in a few weeks from now, January 2018.

I'll end this batch of photos with the Library lest I forget it, as Princess may have done (ouch). I guess books are dying as the Kindle is so popular. Just doesn't have the same feel in the hand and the tactile turning of the pages, feverishly to continue the story, is gone too.

It is within easy earshot of the Wheelhouse Bar band. Choose well your time for a quiet read.

37639420525_7d6b80d7c4_b.jpg

Night falls on Saint John

Another Port, Another sunset

38571844552_9cb50a9b46_b.jpg

38571855972_58131c44cb_b.jpg

37887309424_349bfbf286_b.jpg

Blink-and you missed it, which was how I was feeling about this cruise. The time was flying by unlike a week at work which feels like a week and not a minute less, and was evaporating quickly. There is just too much pleasure, coming in steady waves, hour after hour as you do what you want to do outside of your commitments (excursions, hours ashore). You can plan your day in advance and try to stick to your own imposed schedule, seeing and tasting and trying all of the myriad experiences the cruise line has dreamed up and put into action for you or you can just drift along on impulse, moving here and there as your mood takes you. I do that without even thinking of the experiences I may be missing. Maybe I should stop and listen to a band, sample all the buffet and the IC has to offer and focus on indulging my love for food-it's there for the taking, right? Right indeed. Or have a resident stool at my favorite bar and hang out shooting the breeze? I don't have to drive and a bed isn't far away. I see folks just playing cards and enjoying each other's company. That is fun and I have done that in the past on land. I could hit the gym, then the spa, then the pool and jacuzzi and find kindred spirits there. So many ways to enjoy yourself and be as active or as laid back as you want. Dress up, dress down. Get up in the dark or at noon. I love that everyone on board gets to cruise their way. And I get to cruise mine.

Norris, born to cruise

We sailed at 9 pm with 285 Nautical miles to go to Halifax Nova Scotia. 20 knots.

Tonight, Wednesday October 18 was "dress to impress" night as it was also "Captain's Gala Dinner " night which included lobster. As a result this was the first night we had to wait to get a table as someone had leaked the word "lobster" and the Concerto was very busy at 8 pm. There were people who were concerned that there would be no food left and they asked to sit in the empty seats just inside the door but were told those were for Club Class. We were at the head of the line and 312 was already taken but we only waited 10 minutes for a table to open up near the entrance . No beepers were needed.

Daniella from Romania was our gracious and efficient server and after the drinks came without any confusion we dined on the following;

For Norris, the out of focus escargot which I am not showing. A good chew made more palatable by them bathing in hot garlic butter. They were preceded by a predictable Caesar salad, which you are all too familiar with.

Carol must have her greens and in this case butter lettuce

38547542966_40edf410ff_b.jpg

Neither of us ordered lobster. We were going to have a lobster dinner ashore tomorrow in Halifax and besides I saw one of my favorite dishes on the menu....

37887312954_1a4afe6e21_b.jpg

Beef Wellington, although overdone when I asked for medium. The room was slammed with diners and rather than send it back and leave Carol to eat alone while I waited for a medium I ate it. No big whoop.

This is what I had hoped for

30405673415_4b0ec550e4_b.jpg

(Star Princess)

Carol enjoyed her tomato soup followed by Rockfish with potato and leek ragout

37887315404_075d12e901_b.jpg

When we see the name Norman Love on a dessert menu we are sold. We were enjoying his chocolates before his relationship with Princess began and were excited to see what his desserts would offer. He did not disappoint and kudos always to Princess for expanding their culinary offerings. We have always enjoyed our food on Princess-good solid grub in the MDRs.

Curtis Stone's SHARE is something I am sure we would like from the food perspective if not the decor.

Norman's Pistachio Dome

38547548276_9f5b7ca5c6_b.jpg

If you are familiar with this dish, please stop drooling on your keyboard.

Nice way to round off a meal. Where is Daniella? I had just seen her back by the WIneMakers dinner room and now she was approaching with two bowls....

38571884172_d71ac0d1f5_b.jpg

Bless my soul! Cherries Jubilee, a long-time favorite. A gift from Hector in the far distance. A really nice way to round off a meal!

We made the 10 pm show and got our regular seats at the back and on the aisle to see Robbie Printz a standup comedian we have seen before. He is a seasoned Princess Pro and in fact their 2016 Entertainer of the Year. He banters with members of the audience a lot-those coming in late or sitting in the front rows.

38547544266_1a64b19ea0_b.jpg

Carol's notes say that I left after 10 minutes, destination sleep as I didn't have a nap that day.

Not a bad idea given that I still had to take a lot of ship photos for my archives and this review. If there was a sunrise I wanted to see it too.

Our last port is coming up.

We are approaching Halifax Nova Scotia and I am down on deck 5. The doors to the disembarkation security areas on each side of the ship have been left open. It looks like it hasn't been decided yet whether we will go to our berth bow first or reverse in so both areas are prepped and in ship-shape condition.

37617435185_0ccde44ee4_b.jpg

38472122662_fe8ecbfb1d_b.jpg

The sun is up after a weak sunrise so I head up on deck

26728376129_89e6689584_b.jpg

I do like the Sea Walk as a design element.

This? Not so much

38472171702_35cf0cfbe8_b.jpg

24632007468_fa0c2ce700_b.jpg

Bather load 8? How many people on this ship?

26728425429_2154dcc5b1_b.jpg

We are arriving at 1.30 p.m, 30 minutes late as we waited for the tide to be optimal. We go in bow first.

37617558065_7e72e91d27_b.jpg

38448841556_c876c64094_b.jpg

38448848286_727700249d_b.jpg

38448850526_5091512999_b.jpg

38448852896_f13f73695b_b.jpg

I leave my perch on deck 16 where they have the outdoor seating for the buffet. I would definitely eat out here in the Caribbean. Nice addition having so much seating here.

38448846456_cb23f901ca_b.jpg

I have never seen an episode of The Love Boat even though I did watch a lot of American TV shows back in the UK. I imagine it to be less gritty than Hill Street Blues but you can correct me if I am wrong.

PBxTDKtqZG0

We are going ashore today for a two part excursion that won't get us back until 8 pm or so.

It was one of the first we booked as we were enticed by being by the sea in the small fishing village of Peggy's Cove followed by a lobster dinner somewhere else before returning to the ship.

If you are ready to go ashore then let's go to Peggy's Cove and get this day started!

We had to wend our way through the streets of Halifax

38605613631_31e1b971fe_b.jpg

26828708149_28bb0fde01_b.jpg

37888117384_dc33576829_b.jpg

I only knew a couple of facts about Halifax; it was where the remains of those who did not survive the sinking of the Titanic were brought and buried and it was where the WWII convoys would marshal prior to setting out on the treacherous voyage to Great Britain.

This isn't that Titanic graveyard-that was a separate excursion and one much too sombre for us to consider.

24733256498_002106196e_b.jpg

We had, as always, a cheery talkative guide imparting local information all the way. His name was Doug and Ed was our driver. It took about 45 minutes to reach the restful mob-scene known as Peggy's Cove. Tour buses from Halifax met tour buses from lord knows where. We can't have this beauty all to ourselves as it's a magnet for anyone looking for a cool place to visit.

We took a look around but there was nothing much to see so we got back onto the bus and headed back to Halifax...

26828704429_6663578e4f_b.jpg

PEGGY'S COVE

The bus dropped us off at the top of a steep windswept hill that afforded a view of the lighthouse. We had to be back on board within an hour.

38605606301_0e73ef65f7_b.jpg

Carol found a bench on the rocks and that became her post while I had to go back down the hill, avoiding the many cars on the narrow road to get harbor pictures.

No wind down here

24733272698_c25e44c88c_b.jpg

Sunshine and calm and quiet

38605730431_5a24096cb1_b.jpg

38605678671_817245ed51_b.jpg

• Like 1

St. John's is beautiful; the statutes, hmm, can't quite find the word. Interesting. Loving all of the harbor shots in Halifax.

The Azamara cruise is just too long; 13 nights; something called work interferes. I need to be realistic, even though this is a dream cruise and something I have to do. Azamara is more expensive, but I love their port intensive itineraries. I will be anxious to see your review of Cuba. I live vicariously through your reviews and others. Road trips will have to do for now, not complaining. I would love to go to Banff and Lake Louise and thereabouts; and the Great Smoky Mountains are still on my list.

Houston is trying to get its feet on the ground. So blessed that my son and daughter-in-law did not have any flooding issues. The grocery store a few miles down was so damaged that it is not going to re-open. Houston has done a tremendous job of cleaning up. Now for many people to start over.

I forgot you have a January cruise coming up. Something to look forward to. Love all of your pics; it's like taking your own tour of the town. Thank you!!!

Your pictures are just beautiful. They bring back many fond memories as we've done this itinerary many times. Thank you for your expertise. I've thoroughly enjoyed all. Vicki

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Vicki, I am glad you are liking the photos and thanks for saying so!

I had to dash away to the Opera in the midst of the Peggy's ones but will get more up in the morning.

I doubt if we'll ever be able to say we have done this route many times as we are limited in the amount of vacation we can take. Two a year is our max and we are booked out to January 2019

with a few bucket list items that we can't push off for too much longer. we were very pleased with the itinerary and blessed by good weather in the ports (but super windy out at sea most nights).

Norris

St. John's is beautiful; the statutes, hmm, can't quite find the word. Interesting. Loving all of the harbor shots in Halifax.

The Azamara cruise is just too long; 13 nights; something called work interferes. I need to be realistic, even though this is a dream cruise and something I have to do. Azamara is more expensive, but I love their port intensive itineraries. I will be anxious to see your review of Cuba. I live vicariously through your reviews and others. Road trips will have to do for now, not complaining. I would love to go to Banff and Lake Louise and thereabouts; and the Great Smoky Mountains are still on my list.

Houston is trying to get its feet on the ground. So blessed that my son and daughter-in-law did not have any flooding issues. The grocery store a few miles down was so damaged that it is not going to re-open. Houston has done a tremendous job of cleaning up. Now for many people to start over.

I forgot you have a January cruise coming up. Something to look forward to. Love all of your pics; it's like taking your own tour of the town. Thank you!!!

Azamara is pricey indeed but the itinerary isn't one we can get elsewhere. Some lines (Not Princess, nor Celebrity) are dipping their toes in Cuba while Azamara are diving in. The prices looked decent until we started to price aft balcony cabins. We are where we want to be but it cost us $2600 more than the last cabin on the side- a few feet across the hallway. We had a 1,000 sq ft suite on the Ocean Princess in Italy for $2K more. No one put a gun to our heads of course but it's Cuba and maybe the only time we will be there. I love Azamara from what I see of them on youtube. Service culture looks strong and the Officers are out mingling, which I like on Celebrity too.

We were not going to visit Houston in 2018 as we have been there for the past 4 years as a friend was starring in an Opera for the past 3. We both love it and I can't imagine it in less than a pristine condition. We will see it again when it has recovered.

Road trips-my blog is called Driving' Adair for good reason as I love driving and road trips have been our meat and potatoes prior to the cruising years which we are in the midst of. We live in a country with so much to see just by packing the car and filling her with gas. Route 66 calls to us as it starts about 4 blocks away and ends in Santa Monica which we love. Some day!

Happy to see you still reading along!

Norris

• Like 1

Peggy's Cove continued

26828787149_b67a908b5a_b.jpg

37888120834_5b14b3e3ee_b.jpg

While the tourist bus crowds are up on the Lighthouse rocks in the wind I am down here by the harbor where it is calm and quiet and I can relax and wander around taking photos. No rush as I have the best part of an hour and I can be back at the bus within 5 minutes.

37888234704_a024198931_b.jpg

38605728871_23c2324dfb_b.jpg

A proud fisherman shows me his catch

26828796609_a73edb262d_b.jpg

but the gull goes hungry

38572958632_52f4e73a76_b.jpg

• Like 1

There are some lodgings to be had and I am sure in the summertime they do good business. This would be a nice place to wake up in for a day or two.

37717514215_1ce072a5b5_b.jpg

There was an interesting food Truck parked outside

38572948362_fe8f64d038_b.jpg

38605715651_15b1e058c6_b.jpg

They teach you how to "cook it yourself"

37717511125_7253f7e884_b.jpg

24733364928_7cc5e3cb78_b.jpg

Peggy's Cove Boat Tours pickup truck

37888210154_c673790538_b.jpg

I give myself enough time to hit the restroom before going back onto the lighthouse rocks. There is a big sprawling restaurant up there where the buses park and it's packed with diners having lunch but they have good restrooms there. I can see the buses parked up there as I walk back up the road. The hills are steep and this is not an excursion destination where wheelchairs would be practical, alas .

38548545956_b1dffa1d12_b.jpg

24733268128_4320b35578_b.jpg

38605737961_ed7d151ba4_b.jpg

You can see that big restaurant in this shot and the buses to the right of it

26828812489_e445d1539f_b.jpg

Looking away from the sea again

37717559885_1e3b0bb8de_b.jpg

People helping each other over the rocks

37717550445_74608d7f55_b.jpg

Back at the bus the driver Ed shows us a lobster. I had neither pot (which I left at the Breakwater Inn) nor water so I could only take his picture this time

37717564555_ca5205b9d9_b.jpg

We had a 45 minute drive to the coastal town of Hubbards where we would be having a lobster dinner and so stopped at the visitor center before we left to visit the restrooms there...

38548626846_262927db85_b.jpg

...and to walk over to this wonderful memorial to men who lost their lives to the sea

38572999552_a3885682a1_b.jpg

38548625406_e22417b03c_b.jpg

Off we go along the country roads to Hubbards. At one point whizzing along the guide told us to look to our right where there is a goofy guy who has the tour bus schedules and always comes out and waves a large anchor above his head. Sadly I didn't have the camera prepped for such a sudden uncommon event so it's a bit blurry. I like the mural on his house!

38573012292_f5666bd448_b.jpg

Canadians are fun!

Several years ago, we drove our camper up to the Maritimes and camped near Peggy's Cove. We drove over early in the morning, before all the tour buses, and had the area to ourselves. There was fog which really made it magical, we came back later, after the tour buses, and had clear skies and lovely reflections in the water. Great photos, which I knew how to post them here.

Silkismom, that road trip through the Maritimes might just make my retirement bucket list as we no more than scratched the surface of the places we visited via the Regal. On the other side of that coin is seeing glimpses of places you decide you want to return to.

Avoiding the tour busses would be a prime reason for driving ourselves. The Peggy's Cove villagers get invaded and I was reminded of the Cinque Terre villages in Italy-overrun by visitors like me when the coaches pull up.

Thanks for the comment and for reading this!

Norris

• Like 1

Thankyou for your detailed review along with stunning photos, the ship looks spectacular and I am gaining a lot of information for our upcoming cruise on Majestic next November, coming up is Diamond January 11th our favourite ship so far, I have a feeling after seeing your Regal photos that we may have a new favourite......loved the gorgeous colours of Autumn in some of your port stops.