Regal Princess October 14 to 21, 2017 New England/Canada

Bimmer09

Saturday October 21 2017

A day that will live in Infamy as we had to vacate our cabin by 8 a.m.

I won't show you yet another pancake breakfast in Allegro dining room. As breakfast there starts at 7 a.m we had made time to enjoy our last Regal meal before returning to C743 to get our carry-on bags and head to the Vista Lounge to wait for disembarkation.

This is Bogdan (L) and his unnamed assistant who brought around the pastries each morning. Pic taken by a passing waiter.

27033571899_1e9df981a0_b.jpg

One thing I really salute Princess for is their emphasis on dining experiences-I am sure that cruise ship food plays a big part in our satisfaction with the cruise and Princess offers some pay to play dining experiences besides the included MDR,Horizon Court , Afternoon tea, International Cafe, Pub Lunch, Alfredos Pizzeria, Swirls Ice cream, Prego Pizza and Trident Grill. There are the two specialty restaurants Sabatini's and the Crown Grill both cheap at $29 a head, Crab Shack occasionally also $29 for the seafood lover. Gelato bar for a nominal fee. We never ate at Ocean Terrace seafood bar so I don't know the cost there. Ultimate Balcony Breakfast ($30? for two) and Dinner (so worth $100 for two!) This is all off the top of my head and hopefully I am not missing anything. Partnering with Norman Love and Curtis Stone shows initiative. The $40 Winemakers dinner and $115 Chef's Table Lumiere even get their own semi private rooms.

Chef's Table Lumiere is in Allegro Dining Room

38809159571_62ece6efab_b.jpg

38779087662_4850ec662d_b.jpg

Saturday October 21 2017

A day that will live in Infamy as we had to vacate our cabin by 8 a.m.

I agree, that had to be the quickest 7 night cruise I've ever sailed.

We didn't see you that morning as we self disembarked and were off the ship by 7:30am with a shared limo to the most unappealing airport east of the Mississippi (EWR).

Overall the cruise was excellent, great weather, food and enjoyable entertainment all week long.

Next stop, NCL Bliss for another Alaska adventure in June '18.

Wow! I finally made it all the way through. I have read 2 of your reviews yesterday and today. I've literally done nothing else this weekend! Bravo!!

And I think there were a few songs you quoted that I didn't notice anyone respond (or I missed the responses). I believe I saw a U2 song, "I Still Haven't Found what I'm looking for", Harry Belfonte (I think), "Day-O" aka "The Banana Boat Song", and the other I did have to cheat and look up the artist. "When will I see you again", the Three Degrees (I have never heard of that group, but certainly know the song).

At least I think all those lyrics were in your posts the last few pages!

Edited by reney313
added a missing word

I saw this behind me when I got up on deck 17 with my coffee at Zero Dark 30

37898850835_e08dfd484d_b.jpg

My spidey sense had woken me up at 5 and I leapt out of bed and got dressed quickly but first things first and I had to take a couple minutes to fix a cup of coffee.

I prefer not to post too many pictures which are crap but I have to post this next one where the dazzling lights blow out the color (green) of the statue. It's this or nothing as I couldn't use the tripod because the ship's still moving fast.

24911924428_391e88dcc7_b.jpg

THIS is why I get up early when coming into a port

23920294877_9a1bb8983a_b.jpg

37898879335_d00b6a8863_b.jpg

The Seawalk lit at night is waaaaay cool!

38784786071_497ca973f7_b.jpg

37898840005_975552f252_b.jpg

Fantastic!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow! I finally made it all the way through. I have read 2 of your reviews yesterday and today. I've literally done nothing else this weekend! Bravo!!

And I think there were a few songs you quoted that I didn't notice anyone respond (or I missed the responses). I believe I saw a U2 song, "I Still Haven't Found what I'm looking for", Harry Belfonte (I think), "Day-O" aka "The Banana Boat Song", and the other I did have to cheat and look up the artist. "When will I see you again", the Three Degrees (I have never heard of that group, but certainly know the song).

At least I think all those lyrics were in your posts the last few pages!

Kudos on finding the song lyrics/titles. You missed the title of one of my favorite Bob Dylan albums -Bringing it all Back Home in one of the Brooklyn Pics but that was a harder one as it isn't a song title. No one claimed the others you listed so you get an A+

Your name is unfamiliar so I bid you a double welcome and thanks for taking the considerable time to read two of my reviews this weekend-what was the 2nd one? This is a medium length one compared to the Celebrity Silhouette one which is over 50 pages but that was a stunning ship design and I rambled at length (and the cruise was great too).

Hope to see you in my Crown Princess review in 6 weeks or so!

Norris

Loved your review and pics. It has helped get me pumped for our Royal cruise in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for saying so and I am glad it has whetted your appetite via your Royal booking!

Bon voyage!

Norris

Good morning Norris,

Is it possible that you could do a Celebrity/Princess comparison? I've previously done 3 Princess cruises, followed by 4 Celebrity cruises...and am headed back to Princess in March. Since you've sailed on both, I wonder if you could do a comparison based on your experiences. I know food is subjective (and I'm not a foodie; in fact, I am currently mourning the end of this year's McRib season). I've enjoyed your reviews and look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Susan

Good morning Norris,

Is it possible that you could do a Celebrity/Princess comparison? I've previously done 3 Princess cruises, followed by 4 Celebrity cruises...and am headed back to Princess in March. Since you've sailed on both, I wonder if you could do a comparison based on your experiences. I know food is subjective (and I'm not a foodie; in fact, I am currently mourning the end of this year's McRib season). I've enjoyed your reviews and look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Susan

Hi Susan- I have already done that after sailing on the Silhouette and it's listed in my signature below. If you don't have signatures turned on you can find it here-

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2317130

Thanks for asking!

Norris

I agree, that had to be the quickest 7 night cruise I've ever sailed.

We didn't see you that morning as we self disembarked and were off the ship by 7:30am with a shared limo to the most unappealing airport east of the Mississippi (EWR).

Overall the cruise was excellent, great weather, food and enjoyable entertainment all week long.

Next stop, NCL Bliss for another Alaska adventure in June '18.

Ron, I took a look at the Bliss video last night after I read this-they have ramped up the bells and whistles there! You are unlikely to be bored. Lots of dining opportunities, including those on the Waterfront promenade and a 24/7 pub (Yikes!! Get some sleep people!)

My sister sails NCL (she lives in the UK) but their busy upper decks and fun for the family attractions keep me at bay.

I hope you'll do a photo review of your Alaska cruise....

Norris

Well, Norris, thanks for a great review and I really enjoyed your photos as they brought back so many great memories from this cruise. I still have not seen my husband's photos from our trip to the UK - which was over 15 years ago much less any of the photos he has taken of our subsequent trips to Europe, Australia and so many other places - so I have no expectation of seeing the photos he took on this trip ever, LOL! It was great to get to relive the experience through YOUR photos! The Regal Princess is truly a wonderful ship with a great crew and I just loved this itinerary. Definitely, I'd recommend it and hope to do perhaps an even more detailed Canada/New England itinerary in the future! Definitely, I'd recommend the Regal Princess. Everything about this cruise was just really great!

As I had some time before leaving the ship I did something I have done on other cruises- I took a walk with the camcorder along the length of the Promenade Deck which is our favorite deck for walking from our aft elevator to midships or the theater, avoiding the crowds and also, in Carol's case, for walking laps in the morning when the ship is racing along.

As it's the closest open deck to the sea we also like to sit there or better still stand at the rail and see the sea as close-up as we can. A place to clear the mind and realize how lucky we are to be on a cruise ship.

Pf1iUG5cS1M&t=56s

No pleasure walks to be had here. Luckily I didn't meet anyone coming the other way.

We had a booking on the Royal in the year it was launched ( June 2013) but canceled as we saw it take shape and then do it's sea trials and the Prom deck (or lack of) was something that was a turn off. I know there are the two platforms open to the sea which allow hanging over the railing but they are uncovered and therefore windy and more importantly very wet when raining and unshaded when the Caribbean sun is beating down.

Some have said that there were new lifeboat rules forcing this design yet the Norwegian Breakaway (April 2013) proved that you could have a Prom deck without lifeboat obstruction as they hung the lifeboats completely off the side of the ship (saving a step when launching) with the Prom deck above ...

37945383355_3f349194d1_b.jpg

Now THIS is a Promenade deck....

16263865537_0a03a62325_b.jpg

and it's not even one of the wide ones found on the Diamond, Sapphire, Coral or Island. It's on the Ruby and the lifeboats are up out of the way until needed.

What struck me as I walked the Regal Promenade was how is this going to serve in an emergency? This narrow channel with metal boxes and pipes narrowing it even further (to less than 3 feet) is where people in a likely panic and fear for their lives are going to be accessing the lifeboats. 3600 of them, some in wheelchairs. How many lifeboats can they load at once when time is of the essence?

38332373612_fea0953e26_b.jpg

The Celebrity design from the S Class ( launched 2008) also hides the sea with the lifeboats except for two partially covered platforms but look at the 8 ft wide path behind the lifeboats...

24395682300_60bdc97bc7_b.jpg

The partial roof over the Prom platforms

24691197495_1571ea5ea9_b.jpg

Norris, Promenade deck lover

Norris, really liked all your shots before sunrise as you approached NYC! We've docked in Brooklyn at least 5 times, but I don't bring a tripod along so haven't been able to get the sharp shots of lower Manhattan that you did. I have really enjoyed your online photo journal of the cruise!

Barb

Well, Norris, thanks for a great review and I really enjoyed your photos as they brought back so many great memories from this cruise. I still have not seen my husband's photos from our trip to the UK - which was over 15 years ago much less any of the photos he has taken of our subsequent trips to Europe, Australia and so many other places - so I have no expectation of seeing the photos he took on this trip ever, LOL! It was great to get to relive the experience through YOUR photos! The Regal Princess is truly a wonderful ship with a great crew and I just loved this itinerary. Definitely, I'd recommend it and hope to do perhaps an even more detailed Canada/New England itinerary in the future! Definitely, I'd recommend the Regal Princess. Everything about this cruise was just really great!

I think its time to look at these photos from 15 years ago!! That would be a real walk down memory lane.

I am glad the photos reminded you of the great time you had on this cruise. We are very glad to have taken this cruise and to have taken the plunge on the Royal Class. We had a great week too.

Thanks for reading along. Stay if you have any interest in New York as there are a lot of photos coming up ahead.

Best wishes,

Norris

Norris, really liked all your shots before sunrise as you approached NYC! We've docked in Brooklyn at least 5 times, but I don't bring a tripod along so haven't been able to get the sharp shots of lower Manhattan that you did. I have really enjoyed your online photo journal of the cruise!

Barb

Barb, glad to see you liked those in the dark shots. We have 2 days in New York so there will be many more Manhattan photos to come. We took a boat tour around the entire island which was amazing as we haven't done that since the year 2000. Please stick around for that.

One photo I don't have anymore I took of the soot on the floor of our balcony which didn't look great and prevented any barefoot activity out there. It's still an issue, funnel extenders or no.

There was a sooty mat to wipe your feet on as you came back in but it didn't eliminate it completely.

On to the last few shots I took on the ship and then we are disembarking.

Thanks for the compliments on the photos!

Norris

Hi Norris,

Another superb review by my favorite blogger!! Thank you so much for the time spent in doing this review! It makes me even more excited about trying the Royal class (on the Royal..lol) next November! You've given me a true sense of what to expect and what to look forward too! And...you stayed in the same cabin we have! BONUS!

Can't wait til your Crown review. Have already marked it on my calendar to BOLO for it! We enjoyed the Crown this past January, Rio to Valpariso, around the Horn. FANTASTIC trip!

Thanks again,

Tracy

I spent most of my waiting to disembark time on deck 17. People would come and go talking about the flight they were soon going to get. I was happy to be keeping my feet on the ground for another couple of days and to be spending those in New York.

I can't say I "went" to the gym everyday-but I often walked through it. It still has windows but they are not looking over the bow as on the Grand Class. It's on deck 17 aft around the corner from the smoking section.

38779093802_df62150db1_b.jpg

38779097592_5beee08e35_b.jpg

A TV screen in the gym

38809183681_1c8369cb23_b.jpg

Sign-up for a class the next day

38093423424_408d7ea374_b.jpg

23944846717_b0e0d09eaf_b.jpg

Soon it was time to take my leave and disembark among the last group

37922882255_9e63d770d2_b.jpg

Kudos on finding the song lyrics/titles. You missed the title of one of my favorite Bob Dylan albums -Bringing it all Back Home in one of the Brooklyn Pics but that was a harder one as it isn't a song title. No one claimed the others you listed so you get an A+

Your name is unfamiliar so I bid you a double welcome and thanks for taking the considerable time to read two of my reviews this weekend-what was the 2nd one? This is a medium length one compared to the Celebrity Silhouette one which is over 50 pages but that was a stunning ship design and I rambled at length (and the cruise was great too).

Hope to see you in my Crown Princess review in 6 weeks or so!

Norris

Yes, I do lurk from time to time. I've been around on the boards for years (even before my official sign up date, back when it was on AOL). I pretty much stick to reading reviews and checking up on things when new policies are rolled out (or if I haven't sailed a particular line for awhile and want to see if something unexpected has changed). Oh and I guess roll calls too. Well, I guess i'm on more than I thought! lol.

I can't believe I missed Dylan. I guess it didn't stick out as a song to me, but I should have recognized the title! That was fun!

I read your Star Princess cruise to Alaska. I believe it was the NB route. Wonderful review there too! And took an entire day. But I loved it! I'll be on the Star next August on a return trip to Alaska. It definitely whetted my appetite for a return.

I can't wait for your next installment with the Crown cruise. I didn't see, what is the itinerary for that one? Mexican Riveria?

Thank you, Norris, for another travel report. We always enjoy them and looking forward to the next one.

Mike & Linda

Mike and Linda, glad to have you along again and my thanks to you for tuning in!

There are three more pencilled in over the next 13 months, on three different lines.

We have much to look forward to.

Cheers!

Norris

Sorry about the Youtube SNAFU there....

Pf1iUG5cS1M

Norris

This is exceedingly sad to me (and looks exceedingly dangerous as well)! I spend many hours at sea walking the promenade decks, often with binoculars in hand. I think the only way I would try a royal class would be on a very port intensive or short repositioning itinerary. I liked the photo of the Ruby promenade, I will be trying it out for myself in January.

Thank you for another vicarious journey!

It's our last walk along Promenade deck's interior and we are carrying our bags as is everyone before us and our cards are scanned for the last time and now rendered useless. We keep them all as souvenirs.

Leaving last means our luggage is easy to spot, isolated on the bare floor of the terminal Customs Hall. Here I am expecting a problem as I have had on our last two cruises as I don't have my Green Card. We are usually taken to a room where I am looked up on a Homeland Security computer and luckily allowed to leave after 10 minutes. My Green Card was stolen in a robbery 2 years ago and I am still waiting for it.

No grilling at the Customs desk-Have a nice day!

Taxi line and a delay-free ride into Manhattan. 'Welcome back to the Omni"

Our room isn't ready yet so we stake out a sofa near some power so that Carol can charge her phone and read her Kindle. Restless Norris must go foraging for coffee at a favorite Starbucks nearby on 51st. It's good to be back and the pain of leaving the Regal has been replaced with the excitement of being back in NYC on a lovely sunny day. I drink my regular coffee sitting on the edge of a fountain. Back at the hotel 30 minutes later with the room not yet ready we head out to a pharmacy to get cold medicines for Carol. We're going to the Opera tonight and that's the last place you want to be coughing and sneezing. I bring the camera bag rather than check it with the rest of our luggage.

38119510544_7938a72ee8_b.jpg

A residential tower on Park Avenue where each floor is one apartment

37948801945_b7a326c576_b.jpg

By the time we get back to the Omni our room on the 20th floor is ready