Regal Princess October 14 to 21, 2017 New England/Canada

Bimmer09

Scallion pancakes are no longer on the menu but we ask for them anyway and they pop next door to the Dim Sum and bring them with a couple of pork potstickers.

38402255854_c6c74c3fcf_b.jpg

We share two entrees and it is too much food. First pic is roast pork with leeks and like everything there is delicious. You never find any mystery meat or fat in the dish.

27334945919_b2be9b292c_b.jpg

The accompanying entree was Chan Do chicken, chunks of moist chicken breast in a crispy batter in a savory Hoisin sauce

38402273634_f74c917ac5_b.jpg

While we had our heads down and our forks a'blazin' the crowd had departed and the room prepped for the next day

39081168702_6285254be6_b.jpg

(all food pics taken with Canon 6D Mk II)

Dessert? Oh, no thanks! With tip the bill was about $140 and we were soon hailing a cab on Broadway for the short run back to our hotel and bed before 11p.m

Norris

October 23 and fly home day.

First I had a mission and so was up early (as usual) as I wanted to take some pics in Times Square while it was still dark enough to show the lights at their best. I walked straight there without being distracted to photograph anything else and arrived at 7 a.m

25253126998_5fb7859d2c_b.jpg

Most shops are closed at that time but it's a colorful scene nonetheless. The people in the streets weren't tourists but people heading to work.

39119874941_89302e9b1c_b.jpg

It's a visual assault (doctored in Lightroom)

24259402867_4564834f6b_b.jpg

A panhandler approached me and asked "can you spare $5 for breakfast" to which I laughed. At least he knew what things cost in New York. He was well dressed and not pushing a shopping cart, just pushing this luck.

24259404627_ff6ee5c812_b.jpg

38409913404_bbc9d11443_b.jpg

38409914944_6847e4b35d_b.jpg

Having gotten what I came for I walked briskly back along the 10 blocks or so to the hotel. The streets were busy with garbage and delivery trucks as the city prepared for Monday morning's business. Our next order of business was breakfast at 9 from Europa Cafe and then packing for the flight home...

Nancy, if I have got you interested in the idea then my work is done. It was nice to get out on the water on a lovely day and away from the crowds and traffic in the streets. I can't wait to visit New York again as it never disappoints.

Almost at the end now-just a dinner and an early morning photo walk to go.

Hope to see you in 5 weeks when I begin my Crown review of the ABC islands.

Cheers!

Norris

I will definitely be there in 5 weeks! I won't be off on a cruise of my own at that point, so a Norris review will be most welcome!

What day do you sail, so I will know when to be waving at the PE webcam? Should I be looking for you on an aft balcony during sailaway? Will Carol be doing her famous towel wave? Can you tell I'm in cruise withdrawal because I have way too much time between cruises of my own? :o :eek: :D

I will definitely be there in 5 weeks! I won't be off on a cruise of my own at that point, so a Norris review will be most welcome!

What day do you sail, so I will know when to be waving at the PE webcam? Should I be looking for you on an aft balcony during sailaway? Will Carol be doing her famous towel wave? Can you tell I'm in cruise withdrawal because I have way too much time between cruises of my own? :o :eek: :D

Nancy, it will be our first time cruising out of Port Everglades since January 2015 when we were on the Silhouette and it's on Friday January 12th at 4 pm. Aft balcony port side just above Club Fusion and we'll be waving towels no doubt. I will ask the PTZ guys for a close-up on the Webcam. We are staying on the beach at our favorite Marriott before and after the cruise.

After that we have no Princess cruises booked but we have Silhouette to Norway in September 2018 (Sept 1 for 7 days from Southampton) and then Azamara Journey to Cuba mid January 2019 so after the Crown I don't know when I will have an other review on this board. I imagine Celebrity Edge will be in our future and a Virgin ship is likely in 2020.

The Crown cruise will be our 2nd time on her and will be a relaxation cruise as there are 4 sea days and we will take up residence in the Sanctuary and I'll make an effort to visit rooms on the ship I usually pass by-Vines, IC, Crooners,Crab Shack and anything else that comes to mind.

We have our excursions booked-mainly Carol ones and only once do we have two in a day (Aruba) and in each port I get time to have lunch ashore and drag Carol along. I have tasked her with researching restaurants with a water view in each port and she's "on it!"

It's the perfect antidote to stepping off the Regal-anticipating another cruise, only to somewhere warm.

Thanks for being here!

Norris

The World we are living in

38451900904_f906fe5879_b.jpg

An armored Police vehicle at La Guardia airport, the Officers having stepped out of it for a smoke break.

We didn't have to be dragged, kicking and screaming to the airport (well, Carol didn't at least). Vacations begin and they end. We had enjoyed every moment along the way and once again the Princess product proved itself worthy of the spend and thanks to some fine weather for the time of year, in particular a lack of rain we were able to enjoy the ports which were all new to us and worth repeating years from now.

While we may not have fallen in love with the Regal Princess- because of some design elements I've touched on-it's too late to change those and there were no "deal breakers".

She is beautiful inside where most folks on an October cruise spent most of their time. For those sailing the Grand Class derivations year after year, no longer "wowed" by ships that are like a worn pair of slippers and hold no surprises, she is a new pair of stilettos, with a heightened sense of luxury in the colors and lighting inside. Five Royal Class ships are being built but I will be interested to see the next Princess Class appear as lines are building innovative ships at a frantic clip.

Princess continues to build on their food offerings with more restaurants and Specialty bars and dishes by Norman Love and Curtis Stone on their menus (but not enough of either). The menus could use some revamping and if I was someone who cruised Princess often (2 a year is our max) I would have written that in Capital Letters in bold.

Our next cruise is our second on the Crown, an 11 year old ship at this time and a familiar layout from our Ruby and Emerald cruises. Not a "wow" ship compared to the Regal and no surprises to be had but that's OK. We chose the cruise because of Carol's love for sea days (4 of those in an 8 day sail) and for the ABC islands, Bonaire being a new one for us.

Luckily those were all spared by the hurricanes that raged in the Caribbean this year.

If an itinerary that appeals features the Regal in the future I would have no qualms about sailing on her again.

Every picture tells a story, don't it?

(all photos iPhone 5)

38451929274_bb72b69c95_b.jpg

39129505522_704ca08fcc_b.jpg

39159582221_04031d4d59_b.jpg

25293795028_201dba6dfd_b.jpg

24298621097_292598ebd3_b.jpg

Thanks to everyone who has read this from stem to stern and especially those who enriched it with their comments. I hope to see you in my Crown review which should begin on January 21st.

Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!

Norris

• Like 1

So sad we are done. Enjoyed it as always. Pictures are so amazing. This was a itinerary I recently took on Crown, so all still fresh for me. Loved the NYC pictures and will look into the cruise when my sister and I go in April. New York and Broadway have a pull on me.

Merry Christmas to you and Carol. May the New Year bring you happines and safe travels. Pam

Edited by Pmorton3360

Another review well done by Norris!!! I will "see you" in 5 weeks, after your Crown cruise!! In the meantime, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy New Year and all that!!

Cheers,

Tracy

Tracy, thanks for the Holiday wishes and the same back at you!

Our January cruising habit began with the Crown in 2012 and has continued and will continue through 2019 with Azamara and Cuba.

We are looking forward to relaxation, savoring the ship and the islands.

"See you" in a month or so!

Norris

Norris,

Once again many thanks for an entertaining review with all your awesome/delectable (not just the food photos) pictures.

I've circled January 21st in bold on my calendar.

Best wishes to you and Carol now and in the New Year.

Judy

Thanks, Norris, for another great read!

Happy Holidays to you and Carol.

Susan

Thank you Susan for staying the course!

I know the length of these put a lot of people off but I don't tailor them to those in a hurry. I like to sip my Guinness...I can only imagine how long my Norway one on my favorite ship will be! LOL! I am looking way ahead there but it's nice to have something planned.

Hopefully the next time you see us we will have tans.

Happy Holidays!

Norris

Thank you, Norris!

Mike & Linda

And thank you Linda for reading along and commenting!

Feedback is what has kept me at the keyboard each day for two months. It took longer than I had anticipated but work has kept me super busy (December in Retail) and now we have a record of our cruise that went by too fast.

On to the next and some tropical pictures to come!

Happy Holidays!

Norris

Thanks again for a great review, I'm even more excited to board the Regal next month! Loved all of your pictures and comments about NYC. My husband and I grew up and lived in the city until the late 70's, now we're about 50 miles out in the suburbs, visiting our city once a month!

Have a healthy & happy New Year & safe travels too!

Denise

Thank you Norris & Carol for another great read. It not only made me wish I had another cruise booked but brought back memories of a two week road trip we did to the Maritimes in June 2010. Your post cruise pictures of NYC made me wish I had a return trip planned for there. We spent 6 days there in August 2012 and have always wanted to go back. as always looking forward to your next adventure. I envy your sea days. We are trying a new adventure in May , River cruising in Europe through 5 countries. There is so much to explore it's hard to repeat adventures but reliving memories is great and you helped me do that.

Merry Christmas and a Happy Prosperous New Year to you both.

Rosemary

Thank you so much Norris for this wonderful review! I looked forward to your posts each day. I’ll be back in January.

I hope you and Carol have a very happy holiday and New Year!

Sue

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Excellent review as always, Norris. Thanks for taking us along. The shortcomings you mentioned about the Royal Class ships match my own concerns about those ships. A walkable outdoor promenade is one of my favorite places on any cruise ship. Plus, no Explorers Lounge or Skywalkers, a cramped Vista Lounge are all negatives for me. But I do like the bigger Piazza and the Horizon Court Buffet looks much better designed. I'm willing to give it a try someday, especially with the Royal Princess repositioning to the West Coast.

I'm looking forward to your Crown Princess review next month. See you then.

John

Nancy, it will be our first time cruising out of Port Everglades since January 2015 when we were on the Silhouette and it's on Friday January 12th at 4 pm. Aft balcony port side just above Club Fusion and we'll be waving towels no doubt. I will ask the PTZ guys for a close-up on the Webcam. We are staying on the beach at our favorite Marriott before and after the cruise.

After that we have no Princess cruises booked but we have Silhouette to Norway in September 2018 (Sept 1 for 7 days from Southampton) and then Azamara Journey to Cuba mid January 2019 so after the Crown I don't know when I will have an other review on this board. I imagine Celebrity Edge will be in our future and a Virgin ship is likely in 2020.

The Crown cruise will be our 2nd time on her and will be a relaxation cruise as there are 4 sea days and we will take up residence in the Sanctuary and I'll make an effort to visit rooms on the ship I usually pass by-Vines, IC, Crooners,Crab Shack and anything else that comes to mind.

We have our excursions booked-mainly Carol ones and only once do we have two in a day (Aruba) and in each port I get time to have lunch ashore and drag Carol along. I have tasked her with researching restaurants with a water view in each port and she's "on it!"

It's the perfect antidote to stepping off the Regal-anticipating another cruise, only to somewhere warm.

Thanks for being here!

Norris

Norris & Carol, I will be watching you sail on January 12, & I will be looking for your review on the 21st! As others have suggested, I will be marking those dates on my calendar. I fell in love with the ABC's this past fall, so I can't wait to revisit them through your & Carol's eyes.

For now, I want to thank you one more time for this wonderful edition of your seafaring gentleman's journal that you have just put so much time and effort into. I have spent many years in retail, and I can assure you I would have never managed an undertaking such as this seafaring gentleman's journal that youver just completed! I totally admire you for seeing this project through to completion! :beer-mug:

I hope you have a wonderful holiday! I'll "see" you on the Crown in January! :ship:

Thank you, Norris for all the time and effort you have put into this great review. I enjoyed it all but especially the pictures of NYC.

With best wishes to you and Carol for a happy Christmas and a happy and healthy 2018.

Enjoy your January cruise (I'm sure you will!)

Sandra

Edited by macsford
omitted a few words

Thank you Norris and Carol for the fun of reading your adventures! I have been lurking all along!

We will be on the Caribbean Princess during some of your Crown sailing, and I checked but we do not

hit Bonaire at the same time. I am excited to get away from the snow and cold here as I imagine you both will be.

Looking forward to catching your next review when we return home.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you both!

So sad we are done. Enjoyed it as always. Pictures are so amazing. This was a itinerary I recently took on Crown, so all still fresh for me. Loved the NYC pictures and will look into the cruise when my sister and I go in April. New York and Broadway have a pull on me.

Merry Christmas to you and Carol. May the New Year bring you happines and safe travels. Pam

Pam, I'm glad my Regal report had a special resonance for you as you are now familar with the places we visited and enjoyed. When we retire we will take the trip that goes to Quebec so we can see more Canada from the water.

Carol is Miss Broadway but I have tagged along to a couple of shows that blew me away-most recently Hamilton in November 2015, sitting up close to the stage to be mesmerized -we have since seen it twice in Chicago and would go again. Another hit was actually way off Broadway-my favorite Rodgers and Hammerstein South Pacific but the year escapes me....2009?

Roll on April! New York in Spring is fantastic!

See you in January, I hope and have a Happy New Year!

Norris