Which Cruise Would You Book For a 2019 Venice Embarkation

ChucktownSteve

Yep. That's the one. The ships horn was going on for ages and then again toward a cold Ravenna. That was my second Azamara cruise. I really enjoyed it. Pre-Concordia I managed to do that foggy sail out from the bridge when the pilot said we had to leave NOW!

Phil

Sounds like the same one as us, it was our second Azamara cruise as well, we were with friends and it was their first.

Not sure I would do that itinerary again at that time of year, Montenegro was so wet Carol went ashore and bought some boots, very expensive but good quality, still going strong now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Y'all are correct that AZ wins hands down if the only consideration were itinerary/weather. But I also consider cruise cost/night value, perks/benefits that are included and air travel.

I haven't changed my booking paradigm yet to wait until after final payment, to save money, because so far I like to be able to select my cabin. Right now it's an aft view which won't be available as they're some of the first ones to book early.

Also when flying across the pond, last minute flights would negate any cabin savings.

O's price includes air which they build in at a fixed $800pp on this cruise. If I can find my own flights lower closer in, then I can get a $1,600 reduction in cruise cost.

I understand AZ's business model. Since they're getting their pricing, why should they change? If a ship isn't selling well at the end then it's the early booking passengers who offset the last minute deals for AZ with increased early booking fares. I don't like being the one doing the subsidizing.

My first AZ cruise was booked two years out with the double cat upgrade. I booked it as soon as I saw it. Now that promotion time frame has been reduced to only 18 months out. It makes a big difference in being able to book AZ 4th qtr 2019. Thus the conundrum.

If the sail out from Venice is important, consider that on Oct 11, sunset is at 6:33 PM while by Nov 7, it's at 4:50 PM.

Weather permitting, Azamara will give you more of a sunset/early twilight view while Oceana's going to be mostly city lights. Both could be lovely but the weather is certainly more risky in Nov.

Sounds like the same one as us, it was our second Azamara cruise as well, we were with friends and it was their first.

Not sure I would do that itinerary again at that time of year, Montenegro was so wet Carol went ashore and bought some boots, very expensive but good quality, still going strong now.

Can't believe we did that one together before we knew each other. Yes, Kotor was wet. We did a private tour out to Tito's summer home and had the best pizza I've ever had out of Italy at a tiny restaurant near the centre of Kotor.

Phil

Can't believe we did that one together before we knew each other. Yes, Kotor was wet. We did a private tour out to Tito's summer home and had the best pizza I've ever had out of Italy at a tiny restaurant near the centre of Kotor.

Phil

Phil, with the number of cruises you do it was bound to have happened [emoji6]

That Azamara price seems high, especially for an offseason or shoulder season cruise. It is from Azamara or through a travel agent? A good travel agent could get you combination of $1,500 or more in price reduction and on board credit. Not crazy at all about that Oceania itinerary. (n)