Travel to Newcastle

Hi we are going on our first cruise next July sailing from Newcastle on Marella Discovery. We live in the Midlands and are considering options to get to the port. We are both at work the day before the cruise and don't like the idea of driving up on the morning. Therefore, we are thinking coach is the best option. Does anyone have any experiences with Intercruises coach company? Do they have toilets on board/ make stops as we are traveling with children.

Any other options/ advice would be appreciated

Thanks

We live in scotland and usually end up flying from Manchester. We hav always gone straight from work (kids after school) to a travel lodge/permier inn near the airport for ease of departure the next morning. As kids got older even picked them up from christams ball or left straight after their xmas concerts . Always safer to get there the night before.

Thanks for the quick replies. We will be going from Sheffield if we do go by coach so having a comfort break is good to know. Will also have a look at premier inn and parking and have a think about what the best option would be for us. Thanks again.

Newcastle (Port of Tyne) is an easy drive from Sheffield area. M1 - A1 - A19 - Tyne Tunnel (£1.70) and you're there. You will arrive before the coaches and board the ship before the rush. Parking is within the port and can be booked through Thomson.

Also you can take as much luggage as you like whereas on the coach I think you are limited.

You are better driving - not a bad drive nearly all motorway or dual carriageway. Stopping overnight will of course get you there early but with extra cost and clothes in case longer. We spoke with couple who did coach from Liverpool and it took 6hrs with many stops for pick ups.

We drove from North Manchester and it took about two and a half hours, so you should be able to judge from that. Get there early, it can be a little busy checking in. I take it you are doing the Baltic - fantastic.

Thanks for the input from everyone. The journey will take about 2.5 hours by car for us so not all that long and from what Malch_uk replied earlier seems quite straight forward. Will also weigh up cost of staying in a premier inn (need 2 rooms) to determine wether to go night before or that morning. Still looking at intercruises coach; reviews on other boards seem positive so I'm thinking this is still an option. Decisions decisions........

Thanks for all suggestions and input was all very much appreciated and certainly helped.

It is the magnificent fjords we are going on. Can't wait. My late grandparents went on the fjords when they retired about 30 years ago and I remember them saying how beautiful they were.

I’m doing this itinerary in July magnificent fjords and travelling from Sheffield. I’m driving up to Newcastle the morning of the cruise as I think it should only take a few hours. Looking forward to the beautiful scenery

From Sheffield I recommend M1 - A1 - A19 (J.49 off A1?). A19 is much quieter route than A1 and takes you directly to the Tyne Tunnel. Once through the tunnel you just follow the brown tourist signs for Cruise/Ferry terminal (and Royal Quays shopping centre). The tunnel was £1.70 each way this year (done it twice - one Thomson and one Fred Olsen). Check their website before you travel for any increase.

• 2 months later...

Thanks again for all your thoughts on this. We've have decided to drive up the evening before and stay in the North Shields Premier Inn which was a good price. Checked out the route from advice above and Google maps and it looks pretty straight forward. Not used to driving for long periods but im sure i will be fine and will take a break if needed. Also, Thomson say we can book parking through them for the duration of the cruise.

Our first cruise so very excited and I'm keeping my eye on these boards for tips and advice on all aspects of cruising.

Hi Sarah, we will be on the cruise before you and have also booked the Premier inn and car parking. Getting there the night before gives you a relaxing morning and no worries about hold ups. We'll be having a walk on the beach before embarking! Just keeping fingers crossed for good weather☺

From Sheffield I recommend M1 - A1 - A19 (J.49 off A1?). A19 is much quieter route than A1 and takes you directly to the Tyne Tunnel. Once through the tunnel you just follow the brown tourist signs for Cruise/Ferry terminal (and Royal Quays shopping centre). The tunnel was £1.70 each way this year (done it twice - one Thomson and one Fred Olsen). Check their website before you travel for any increase.

thank you that's really useful

Thanks again for all your thoughts on this. We've have decided to drive up the evening before and stay in the North Shields Premier Inn which was a good price. Checked out the route from advice above and Google maps and it looks pretty straight forward. Not used to driving for long periods but im sure i will be fine and will take a break if needed. Also, Thomson say we can book parking through them for the duration of the cruise.

Our first cruise so very excited and I'm keeping my eye on these boards for tips and advice on all aspects of cruising.

I've booked parking at the cruise port via TUI and it was £70 for the week

Check in at Newcastle does not open until 12noon, but it is worth getting there a little earlier, you are given coloured ticket on arrival and check in order is by that ticket, there is seating so you are not standing around.

Thanks from me as well Ormy. Im really pleased i made the decision to travel up the night before; especially with this being our first cruise and not knowing the procedure for embarkation first hand. We can now have a leisurely breakfast and maybe wander around the shopping outlet before going to the passenger terminal. Perfect.

As I am travelling from Kent I just tried to book a hotel for the 9th of June for my 10th of June Discovery sailing. I intended to stay in the Premier Inn near the North shields ferry terminal but guess what, everything in Newcastle is already fully booked for that date, aargh!. Luckily there was availability at the new hotel in Whitley Bay less than 5 miles from the terminal. Phew!

The question is, which is the best way to get from Central Station to Spanish City Plaza Whitley Bay on a Saturday afternoon?

As I am travelling from Kent I just tried to book a hotel for the 9th of June for my 10th of June Discovery sailing. I intended to stay in the Premier Inn near the North shields ferry terminal but guess what, everything in Newcastle is already fully booked for that date, aargh!. Luckily there was availability at the new hotel in Whitley Bay less than 5 miles from the terminal. Phew!

The question is, which is the best way to get from Central Station to Spanish City Plaza Whitley Bay on a Saturday afternoon?

The 9th. of June is the day of The Blaydon Races so the whole of the Newcastle area will be very busy. If you are not familiar with the song, which begins :- “I went to Blaydon Races, twas on the 9th.of June”, do look it up.

Dave, you are very brave! It looks as though all the Newcastle sailings will be full of us Northerners - we are a friendly bunch so you should have a good time:)

Whitley Bay will be good - you can have a paddle before breakfast!

Dave, you are very brave! It looks as though all the Newcastle sailings will be full of us Northerners - we are a friendly bunch so you should have a good time:)

Whitley Bay will be good - you can have a paddle before breakfast!

Born and raised in Cumbria :D

The Whitley Bay hotel is now fully booked so there may be a lot of panicking people for that sailing