Princess email-ocean medallion

beachmets

Really? We all know that when implementing new, there will be problems. So, there will be disappointments but to the point of extra compensation? That was the risk people took when they booked those first cruises...Why are some people feel that they are so entitled that they demand things for free?

This is truly unbecoming behavior.

Agreed.

Medallion is basically a small disc that is used to open your cabin door and pay for items on board.

According to Princess, the main difference between the cruise card and the medallion is that you can sync the medallion to your phone or laptop. Also, you can turn on your location, so friends and family ( as well as crew) can track your location around the ship.

Speaking just for DH and myself, we are not interested one way or the other in having "enhanced technology." We're just fine with a cruise card. If we happen to sign up for a medallion cruise and the technology is not ready, it doesn't impact the enjoyment of our vacation.

Princess is certainly guilty of over selling this new concept and setting expectations way too high. Whether this came from the person(s) that were hired to implement this concept and was overly optimistic (seen this before) or the people they have to actually install and turn on the ***** functions are just not all that capable (seen this also). So I certainly can understand the frustration that many are having now. Princess now has to own up to over selling and provide something to quell the anger. From the postings it seems Princess has decided to award OBC.

Every other day, there is a post here like: "Is anyone else having problems with the princess web site?"

And no one expected a problem with medallions?

Also, outside of cruisecritic, I don't think many people have heard about, or care about medallions...

Agreed.

Medallion is basically a small disc that is used to open your cabin door and pay for items on board.

According to Princess, the main difference between the cruise card and the medallion is that you can sync the medallion to your phone or laptop. Also, you can turn on your location, so friends and family ( as well as crew) can track your location around the ship.

Speaking just for DH and myself, we are not interested one way or the other in having "enhanced technology." We're just fine with a cruise card. If we happen to sign up for a medallion cruise and the technology is not ready, it doesn't impact the enjoyment of our vacation.

Amen :)

I'm sailing on the Regal 12/10. There can't be bait and switch since I called and was given $100.00 each of OBC for my inconvenience. This came after deep apology from them for me not having the medallion for this cruise.

I’m on this sailing as well. Curious... did you book through a TA or direct through Princess. I called today too and was basically stonewalled by a CSR because I booked through a TA.

I understand I need to handle my concerns through my TA. But literally every word out of this CSR’s mouth was “you’ll need to speak with your agent about this...”

Thanks for your help,

Andrew :)

Also, outside of cruisecritic, I don't think many people have heard about, or care about medallions...

As far as hearing about medallions, there is some hype about it on the website and the extent of calling it "Ocean Mediallion Class," admittedly below the fold. Don't you think it sounds like the pax should see it as a benefit when it is promoted to the pax?

Princess could have gone other ways that would not have put the new program so much in mind. Were we really thinking great ships, too bad about those sad little mag stripe cards?

I have only done one cruise and I thought it was sufficient that they used a mag-stripe card, and I assumed it was just a token.

They could have just kept it to the minimum information that CCL shareholders need to know, which I'm not sure is all that much, and not mentioned it at all. That would have given them the option to break up the transition into an intranet piece that raised Princess's use of the card in conjunction with a better network, and then the token/"Medallion" piece that would have converted over from the card.

Princess could have also created an insider "beta tester" program and rolled out the tokens to just those people first, with maybe a little OBC as quid-pro-quo.

I'm not sure I'd feel like I expected more from a Medallion-equipped cruise but that's in the context of my understanding of what a token can provide vs what a mag-stripe card can provide. I'd feel strange asking for compensation for the lack of a feature that I would have skeptically believed was not to my benefit. But they did "sell" the feature and so I'm not surprised that others are arguing it was supposed to benefit them.

Edited by cardiffman

As far as hearing about medallions, there is some hype about it on the website and the extent of calling it "Ocean Mediallion Class," admittedly below the fold. Don't you think it sounds like the pax should see it as a benefit when it is promoted to the pax?.

I think princess should deliver what they promise to customers.

On the princess web site, it looks to me like the early regal cruises have been changed

to "Ocean Medallion Preview". I think they used to be "Ocean Medallion" or "Ocean Medallion Vacation".

Princess seems to be trying to accurately describing the situation for future purchasers.

"Starting November 13, all guests on Regal Princess will enjoy several new Ocean Medallion enhancements including MedallionNet™ Wi-Fi, the renovated port terminal in Ft. Lauderdale, and new gaming and entertainment experiences, such as a new Sail Away Celebration. During the preview cruise period, we will activate Ocean Medallion features by groups of staterooms in phases into spring 2018."

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/

I think princess should deliver what they promise to customers.

On the princess web site, it looks to me like the early regal cruises have been changed

to "Ocean Medallion Preview". I think they used to be "Ocean Medallion" or "Ocean Medallion Vacation".

Princess seems to be trying to accurately describing the situation for future purchasers.

"Starting November 13, all guests on Regal Princess will enjoy several new Ocean Medallion enhancements including MedallionNet™ Wi-Fi, the renovated port terminal in Ft. Lauderdale, and new gaming and entertainment experiences, such as a new Sail Away Celebration. During the preview cruise period, we will activate Ocean Medallion features by groups of staterooms in phases into spring 2018."

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/

People never seem to fully read the complete statments.