traveling with diabetic suppliies

pc50mc

I am not familiar with the rules of travel with diabetics, however, please make sure you have eaten and taken your insulin prior to embarkation. I say this because when we traveled on the Carnival Valor in August, an older couple was in line at embarkation and the lady was having an attack. She didn't realize how long it would take to board the ship and they asked to jump through the line and uncaring people were pushing and shoving. Please be prepared for a long line.

Stay healthy and have a wonderful trip.

Photocruiser

I would ask this question on the disabled board.

I do not know the details with regard to the airlines, but I would definitly call the Special Needs desk at the cruise line and discuss this with them. They can assist you with ensuring your insulin is refridgerated as needed and probably can provide a sharps container.

You should get a letter from your doctor listing needles, insulin, lancets, glucagon, etc. My doctor gave us one at diagnosis and I suppose since diabetes doesn't go away it never expires. We have never been asked for it on airport security or ship embarkation. Keep everything together in your carryon. We have a small soft cooler that keeps the insulin cold enroute. BD (the needlemakers) has a brochure that lists all you need and discusses time zone changes. It suggests bringing double what you need for the duration of your trip. Bring several simple sugars and make sure you have them in each port. My son, a type 1, had a severe low (28) after swimming on a beach in Aruba. We had juice and it took 3 simple sugars to level him. Very scary--no cell phone, glucagon left on ship because of heat, but juice brought it up. The ship will provide a refrigerator in your room, or have them empty the minibar. I will again emphasize to bring a few simple sugars to each port and you should have a great time.

I am a type II and do not take shots however I have travelled the States, Europe and the Caribbean several times since I was diagnosed three years ago.

One thing you may want to consider if you are flying and ordering a diabetic meal for your flight. I did on our European flights and had more carbs [bread, rolls, and "fat free" salad dressing] served than my healthy husband! I always carry juice, snacks, and tabs. For our next meal service flight I will order the regular meal and take along a salad or something that will travel safely.

On board you can request a special menu. It is always best to check with the special needs department for the line you are cruising. Most cabins have a mini bar and you can store insulin in your cabin.

I wish every vacation could be on a ship. It is very easy to maintain my diet, and get the daily exercise I need.

Have a wonderful cruise and don't worry!

my son has type 1 as well. when we first started cruising he took insulin injections. at that time we had a letter stating the need to travel with syringes. last spring he went on the insulin pump. it has made his life easier in most ways but traveling has become slightly more complicated. we not only have to travel with all of his pump supplies but we also have to travel with his syringes and all insulin products. you have to always assume that the pump could fail and you need to be prepared for every contingency. get yourself a letter from your doctor in case someone questions your supplies. as the OP said.....be prepared......always have a juice and a snack with you and like i tell my son 8 times a day.....

CHECK YOUR BLOOD!!! enjoy your cruise:D

I am type 1 I keep all my Insulin in CARRY-ON and i also take a extra pen with me as far as the planes and boats i have never had a problem. Most Hotels if you tell them you need fridge for Insulin there is no cost.

But i do hate seeing those chocolate buffets they are too tempting.

I am also a Type I diabetic and have been for 12 years. While I have a letter from my doctor I have NEVER been asked to show it. I have traveled throughout the US and to Europe and was only asked about my diabetic supplies once. My ticket was tagged for extra security precautions due to a last minute change to a one way flight. The last person (at the gate) to hand search my bags was also a diabetic and wanted to know how I liked my glucose meter as he was thinking of buying that model!

I concur with what many others have stated, keep emergency supply of glucose with you, bring more insulin and supplies than you think you will need, contact any hotels and the cruise line ahead of time to arrange for a refrigerator to be in your room / cabin. Carry you supply of insulin in a cooler with a cold pack and DO NOT CHECK the bag containing your supplies, carry it with you. Consult with your doctor as to how to handle any time changes during your trip.

Have a great time!

I am not familiar with the rules of travel with diabetics, however, please make sure you have eaten and taken your insulin prior to embarkation. I say this because when we traveled on the Carnival Valor in August, an older couple was in line at embarkation and the lady was having an attack. She didn't realize how long it would take to board the ship and they asked to jump through the line and uncaring people were pushing and shoving. Please be prepared for a long line.

Stay healthy and have a wonderful trip.

Photocruiser

The poor woman probally had took her shot and needed to eat because she was going into insulin shock.

Your posting this shows your lack of knowlege of diabetics. What the poor woman should have done and should have KNOWN also-was to have something with her to eat. She should have enough knowlege about her disease to know if she had taken her medication and had not eaten in several hours of the danger to her.

I am always prepared as things often do not go as planned.

As far as your supplies-I would show them to the inspector-insulin needles look nothing like drug needles-it is not a problem-they are not going to supsect you to be a terrorist-there are many diabetics so they see this often.

But if you are really afraid-you could bring a note from your doctor stating you are a diabetic. I don't think you will really need that though.

Another thing you can now do is ask for a sharps container on the ship for your syringes to go in while you are sailing the high seas....I did this on our last trip and it was great to have something to place unwated things in.

And on RCCL, probably others, if your cabin doesn't come with a refridgerator you can request one through special needs. Not sure if insulin requires refrige, but my son's injectables do, so we called special needs and they are hooking us up.

Another thing, that is just me being wierd and paranoid. I ask security to hand check his injection solutions instead of running them through the x-ray. I'm sure it will not affect anything, but I'm just wierd that way.

I also have a detailed letter explaining all his meds.

Safe travels and enjoy...

A..

And on RCCL, probably others, if your cabin doesn't come with a refridgerator you can request one through special needs. Not sure if insulin requires refrige, but my son's injectables do, so we called special needs and they are hooking us up.

If it was where it would have been very hot in our room I would have, my meds need to be cool but not cold. This is one thing I know they are helping with more on ships then they used to..:)

Another thing, that is just me being wierd and paranoid. I ask security to hand check his injection solutions instead of running them through the x-ray. I'm sure it will not affect anything, but I'm just wierd that way.

Never thought about the xray machines with my meds....so far nothing bad has happen to them and I have been on about 5 or 6 trips where they ran them in the machine :confused:

I also have a detailed letter explaining all his meds.

I always make sure to have a lettle from my Doc and a prescription card for what I have to carry with me. Safty first when you need a med you need it now not after a long talk with someone to use it and keep it on you.:(

Safe travels and enjoy...

A..

Happy Trips to All

I am a Type2 diabetic and have been on insulin for about six months. You really don't need a letter from your doctor for your insulin or other supplies. The insulin box will have a prescription form on it just like any other medication. That will suffice for airport security officials, customs, etc.

It is good to carry all your medications and blood testing supplies in your carryon luggage. The sixpack soft packs are great since they do provide some cooling. You can buy freezepacks that are about 3"W X 5"H X 1"T for extra cooling if you wish. Read the instruction sheet included with your insulin. Contrary to popular belief, it typically does not need to be refrigerated after being opened. After opening, my brand (Lantis) can be kept for 30 days at room temperature (below 80 deg.) with no problems. As an earlier poster said, hotels will normally provide a complimentary refrigerator and your ship cabin steward will accommodate you as best he can (minimum of a second ice bucket) if you want to cool the insulin.

As a courtesy, always tell airport security, ship X-ray screening and similar inspection personnel there are insulin syringes in your carryon luggage as you enter the screening area. This prevents any surprises for them. TSA regulations for airport security specifically mention medical syringes as being acceptable carrryon items.

Do not dispose of syringes or lancets in your normal trash. Ask for a sharps container, take them to the ship infirmary at the end of the cruise or take them back home.

Finally, take enough medications for a minimum of an extra week. Cruises have been extended for several days due to weather, mechanical breakdowns, accidents, etc. Within the last year, one Royal Caribbean cruise was extended for four days in Costa Maya, Mex., to repair a hole in the hull that occurred while the ship was docking. It would be a shame to make the cruise line get you home on time because you were out of medications. :eek:

Les

I travel with syringes and medication on airlines and cruise ships and have never been questioned, even though my supplies have been examined by security personnel. I do carry the 'scripts but have never been asked to produce them.

Most cruise ships have an in-room refrigerator that can be used for the meds. Also, look at the other postings in this thread; they provide excellent advice.

Archived