Back from the Diamond Princess , Japan.

chromered7

I disembarked the Diamond on Nov 10 , and was on her for 40 days. I suspect you will be able to wear the Wafuku Hakamai on formal nights. We saw lovely kimono, and some gentlemen were in traditional attire as well. However, the dining room we were in (Pacific Moon) did enforce the dress code for men, either sport coat and dress shirt (with or without tie) or dress shirt and tie (no jacket) at a minimum. And I will say that my observation was heavy on the sport coat and tie, very light on the tux.

We enjoyed the cruises, and there were some differences from the US market, but mostly we missed the International Café as an additional casual dining option. We had great cabin stewards and waiters, the food was generally very good (but that can vary depending upon the chefs) and the port calls were great. We only encountered nasty immigration lines a very few times, and that is beyond the control of Princess.

Thank you! Your information is much appreciated.

Thanks for writing! I found it fascinating to read about a cruise to Japan since I have just finished my 2nd land vacation there. I really have fallen in love with the country and not sure you got the real flavor of it with excursions from the ship. I hope that everyone who takes a cruise there might add on some land time to have a more in depth experience.

Hi there - have read with interest. Thank you.

Can you tell me what the style of food was like in the Horizon Court? Was it mostly Japanese or the usual Princess style found on their USA/European itineries?

This was the only Princess Cruise we hade done so we could not compare it to a cruise to another country. In terms of the food there was far less choice than say Celebrity in a similar cafe. This lack of choice was in part to accommodate passengers from Japan. We were already aware of this situation before cruising . The food portions in the main dining room were small and we had to constantly ask for another portion . The two waiters we had were poor and only upped their game on the last night of the cruise in the hope of favourable comments on the feedback form. Our experience may not be a true reflection of Princess but we can only relate what happened to us on this particular cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi there - have read with interest. Thank you.

Can you tell me what the style of food was like in the Horizon Court? Was it mostly Japanese or the usual Princess style found on their USA/European itineries?

I didn't eat dinner in the Horizon Court, but I did eat lunch a few times. Most of the food was the usual mix of American with Asian, but did include miso soup and rice everyday that I had lunch there. They also have a noodle bar (next to the desserts just outside the buffet) which was excellent with lots of toppings to add to the noodles.