Weather comparison west bound TA via southern route and northern

jerbeth

We have done numerous west bound TA's from the Med to Florida. Next November 3 we will be on the Silhouette from Southampton to Florida via Boston, NYC, Bermuda and the Bahamas.

I am assuming that this will be a cooler crossing than the more southernly route. Is there anyone who has done both who can give me an idea of what to expect?

Yes, I’ve done both numerous times and there is a BIG difference in temperature and potentially the water will be rougher too. The sea temperature on the northern itinerary you describe is much lower than taking a more southerly Med to Miami route and this affects the air temperature.

Phil

Did the Northan route on navigator of tge seas last November, we were very lucky with the weather, j remember sun bathing on the balcony half way to new York, in new York j had to take my jacket off , out side at the to of empire state building as it was so warm this was at night. The night we left new york the weather turned and it was a little choppy before we got to Cape canaveral

We have done both (more then a few times) and would generalize that the southern route is going to give you much warmer weather. However, weather is always a crap shoot so you can certainly take your chances and hope for the best :). I would add that one year we did a RCI ship from Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale in early November and had some of the best weather (and calmest seas) that we have ever experienced on any cruise. But you could do the same thing and run into a late season hurricane.

Hank

We have done numerous crossings -Northern, Central (via Azores) and Southern Crossing.

The Central and Southern Crossings have always been very smooth and comfortable temperature wise. The Southern crossings are often a little cool until you get down around the Canaries and the crossings are usually like Hawaii weather.

Our Northern crossing was much different. Weather was cold, rainy and foggy for the crossing but became warmer as we moved south. At one point the fog was so thick we had to slow down to 3-5 knots and used fog horns.

While every crossing is different and conditions could vary widely.

We are also booked on the Broadway and Bermuda crossing also and love the itinerary.

Thank you all for your responses. You are saying just what I expected to hear so will be prepared with layers.:):) We're actually spending two weeks walking in southern England before the cruise so will need layers there as well.

Our crossing from Barcelona to St. Thomas on the Norway in 1998 was so warm that I slept on the balcony every night. In contrast in 1999, also on the Norway, from Southhampton to NYC the weather was cold, foggy, and mostly unpleasant. This was in August.