Room stewards

gardengirl2011

Two things that amaze me. First the surprise people have that the cheapest cruise line, has substandard service, and the second is how many people love to brag about tipping people prior to them doing their job. On my last Carnival cruise, after 3 days of asking and being told, it is fixed, a drain issue in the shower. On the third day, I unscrewed the cover, and dug out globs of gunk, which fixed the issue, and dropped it off at the desk, asking how I was told for 3 days, they dug this out of the drain, and look what I found in it. No, I did not leave a tip that year. Only one of many issues I encountered on my last two cruises with Carnival.

When a company begins to slide, it usually just continues. However, it is still the cheapest, so therefore, it will still have customers that accept it for what it is.

I don't know about anyone else, but I accept every company for what they are and I set my expectations accordingly. I haven't received substandard service on CCL yet and would adjust tips if I did.

If I find something wrong in a hotel(or on board ship) I don't wait until I am off the ship or home from the hotel to complain to my friends.

I talk directly to the staff person involved and if it doesn't improve I talk to their supervisor.

If everyone did that we might get better service. I doubt that talking about it here would help anything to improve.

This. If you don't point out the problems while on board, how can things be improved? Some of our stewards have been less than visible, but none have failed to do their jobs. I'm not sure where the problem is, but the solution is in speaking up.

This. If you don't point out the problems while on board, how can things be improved? Some of our stewards have been less than visible, but none have failed to do their jobs. I'm not sure where the problem is, but the solution is in speaking up.

It bears repeating ... THIS ...

Don't assume that those of us posting here did not raise the problem on board. I know that I did. Following a discussion with GS and the supervisor, we still received service that was mediocre at best. We left our tips on, but remained unimpressed by our steward as the service was simply not what we have come to expect.

Agreed. Why accept and pay for substandard service.

As I noted in a previous forum, I did not have a problem with the evening service of our Cabin Steward, and rewarded him with an extra gratuity directly to him for his attentiveness. Now, I am not oblivious to others on the same boat with either a love/hate relationship with their cabin stewards. We simply treated our cabin steward as a valued member of our experience on the cruise, and it worked out very well.

Wow...very sorry to hear of the "decline" in service. We just got off the Dream for our first Carnival cruise, and could not have been HAPPIER with our steward. We were in a grand suite, and she was remarkable.

Room tended to twice a day, once between 9-11 while we were at breakfast and once in the evening while we were at dinner. We literally saw her in the hallways every time we left our room.

Plenty of towels, ice filled without asking, bathroom was spotless, dressing table organized, towel animals (big deal, LOL), curtains opened or closed depending on the time of day, cabin lights adjusted based on the time of day, personally fixed the tv for me (I pulled it out too far and unplugged it, LOL) and left us a personal note on our last evening.

She's the best steward we have ever had and have sailed previously on Disney and Celebrity.

We loved Ysebel!