Fly Island - Passion Island...

JessInNY

Hi All,

I returned this past Sunday from a Western Caribbean cruise on the Princess Star. Really a great time, EXCEPT:

We had an excursion to Passion Island on Cozumel. This Island was full of flies - not just the occasional nuisance, but a disgusting, unsanitary and deplorable amount of flies. The flies were so abundant that it was impossible to eat there, and if you did get a drink, you had to be sure it was covered at all times! There were flies in everything!!!

We first saw all these flies when we boarded a small boat (no life jackets), after a long van ride (unairconditioned). Much of the road was missing!

Upon the Island, we asked why all the flies. We were told that the hurricane produced much dead marine life and that is why there was so many flies. The tour man also informed me that he did put down much poison for the flies and that they should be better within a month or two. I am sure he thought this would make me feel better, but it made me feel even worse that Princess knew, or at least should have known, about these conditions. And, to think I was walking barefoot on fly poison!!!!

We were all so happy to get back to the boat (where I took the longest shower ever, felt so dirty after being around so many flies and fly poison!!!)

I went to the Tour desk for 3 days after this excursion and was told each day that someone would contact me. FINALLY on the last day of the cruise, we did get to talk to someone. They said that no one else had complained, just the 6 in my party. Well, I know that was not true because many people on the excursion told me they did complain!!!! Princess finally offered half of the money back for this excursion. No apology, nothing!!! In my opinion, this Beach should be shut down - unsanitary and most probably in violation of health laws. Did I forget to mention too that all toilet paper was not to be flushed? -- it was to be placed in unlined receptacles....

Also, no fresh-water shower!!! And, no shade!

I was very disappointed that Princess would have had this excursion available. I figured that it must be okay if it was being offered. And, to not apologize or offer a full refund. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Any thoughts? Thank you. Have a nice evening!

JessInNY

Jess, I'm so sorry you had this experience. I guess the hurricane really did damage and Princess should warn people about this.

My trip to Passion Island in 2003 was heavenly. I hope they restore the island to its original beauty. It was my favorite excursion.

I heard the Island was beautiful Moondawgie and I hope that it can be restored to its beauty. I chose this excursion after reading great reviews from cruisers.

I did feel awful for the people working the excursion, they knew how bad the conditions were, but were trying to make their money. I would have given a donation! I will return there someday hopefully, certainly not after any hurricanes!

Have a nice evening.

JessInNY

Most toilets in Mexico always required you to put the toilet paper in the trash. I've never seen one that didn't. They don't have the plumbing we do here.

I've never had to do this while in Cozumel or in Cancun, maybe it's the places I go but have never seen signs for this.

Jess:

Lady Jag pointed me to your post this evening. All I can say is UGH! We are sailing on the Grand this coming Saturday and also have the Passion Island excursion booked. On the Cozumel board I've seen some very conflicting information posted from a couple of people who actually live in Cozumel. One stated that the island was pretty devastated and that the owner wasn't even going to put it back into operation. Said the cruise lines couldn't find him and that he had fired all the people who worked there. Then the other person wrote that the island had been fixed up and was in excellent condition and definitely up and running. These comment have definitely concerned me being they are so opposite.

Nobody had even posted until now that they had done this excursion. I'm so sorry you had such a terrible experience, but definitely glad you posted it here to warn us. At this point I have this excursion and the Playa Mia Beach Break booked with Princess. I decided to book the other one also after the hurricane and not knowing what would happen with Passion Island.

I definitely can say that what you wrote and really changed my mind as to going to Passion I. on this cruise. Can you tell me, other than the flies, how was the beach and where in the world could they even serve food without it being covered in flies?

Being that I get bit by bugs very easily, I do think we will pass on this excursion now. I want to thank you so much for posting here about this. I have been looking and looking and you are the first person to post who has actually been there, that I have seen.

Thanks,

Hulagirl

That is what is disappointing! We also did this excursion in April 2004 and loved it. Granted the ride there and back was a bit long, but worth it when we were at the island. The beach was beautiful and the food excellent. Couldn't wait to go again, but after this review I just don't feel the same. Hopefully it will be back to its previous condition again, but the flies are a tough one to deal with.

Hulagirl

Hello Hulagirl!

Sorry the news wasn't good, but I am sure you will be happier that you didn't go now! I have heard Passion I. is beautiful under normal circumstances and perhaps will find out someday!

I forgot to mention the fact that the tour guide did say we were only the second group there since the Hurricane.

The beach (water) is beautiful - no doubt about this!

They prepared the food in a open grass-roof covered hut. To be honest, I never even looked at it after hearing they were fanning it to keep the flies away and they were removing flies from the salsa - gross!!! In fact, I had no appetite at this Island!

I hope you have a great time on your cruise and I am glad I was helpful - I wish someone had warned me!

Have a nice evening.

Jess

I have to totally agree with Jess in regards to the fly situation in Cozumel. I was there on the 14th of Nov. and the flies were unbelievable. We had to put napkins over our drinks and poke holes through the napkin for the straw. Eating was quite the challenge...a fan in one hand and a fork in the other.

I truly understand why the locals are painting a beautiful picture of recovery, but the truth is Cozumel suffered a horrific disaster and you do not recover from that over night. The island looks like a bomb went off, there is no getting around that.

windstar

Jess, thanks from me too! Like others said, it is hard to come by info (even here!) about some of these excursions. I have been frequenting the Cozumel board and have not seen one person report on this trip post-hurricane. So thanks! Hopefully others will report too, and maybe we'll know when it's "safe" to book Passion Island again. Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your experience.

I am thinking Uvas / clear kayak for our trip in February. Did you hear any feedback on that one perchance?

Jess and Windstar!!!!!

I want to thank you both for you honest comment and reply's to my questions. You have definitely helped us to make our decision about this excursion. When we were there in April 2004 it was the best excursion ever and no fly's!! This is just not something I want to deal with.

You are definitely correct that on the Cozumel board the people who live there are painting an absolute rosey picture of the island. It suffered a terrible loss and it couldn't be rebuilt that quickly. Granted what they have done is remarkable, but not everything can be like it was this quickly.

Wouldn't touch the food either and glad you didn't. There is just no way this would be a good day for us.

Thanks again for posting about this. I have been watching and watching for information and so glad you posted before we left for our cruise. I can deal with the tender problems, but the fly's are a different situation.

Appreciate you help and will think of you in Cozumel!

Hulagirl:)

Thank you so much! We leave in 9 hours for the airport. I need to finish packing. You don't know how much you helped with our decision for the excursion in Cozumel. Thank goodness we won't be dealing with the fly issue on Passion Island.

Have a great Christmas!

Hulagirl

• 2 weeks later...

I have read some good reviews about P.I. since it's re-opening. Isn't there someone else who has been there who can give an update??? Maybe it was bad at first but things are getting better? Oh, I hope so, I really wanted to do this excursion.

We spent December 14th on a sail boat going to Passion Island.The flies were not a problem while sailing....On Passion Island I took my kids shell hunting and the flies were bothersome. The devastation on Cozumel from Wilma is sadly unbelievable....it will be many many years before the damage is repaired at best.The people of Cozumel need help in rebuilding their Island....but they are to proud to ask for funds and resources.

Archived