Is NCL Take 5 Worth It (for me)

marx

I currently have Take 2 with Specialty Dining and Kids Free. I can upgrade to Take 5 for the cost of the Unlimited Open Bar gratuity, but I would loose $60 in on board credit. So, that's about a $280 difference.

I anticipate that my wife and I would have about 10 bar drinks during the cruise - though if we upgraded to the package it would likely double. We also would have about 1 or 2 non alcoholic drinks a day that would be covered by the package.

I don't think we'd use the Internet much - but then again, maybe it's good to have so we can check on independent excursions we've booked.

We won't use the Excursion credit.

I am inclined to upgrade to the Take 5 even though it might cost me a bit more in the end. Any opinions :) ?

Edited by marx

I'd say do it. You'll almost beak even and if you decide to drink a little more it won't be a big deal. For the excursion credit the only place we'll be using ours is at Harvest Caye. We'll let the kids do the ropes course or paddle boards basically for free. The plus side on the internet is that we can receive Facebook messages from family (SIL is due a few days after we get off the ship) and from our house/pet sitter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Once you have the UPB, you may feel more free, and that is priceless. You may just break even, but not having to count the cost on every drink makes it more of a care free vacation, from what I can see and calculate.

Hope that helps.

THIS. My husband can be a little uptight about money (it's good that one of us is! :')), and the piece of mind having the UPB brings is so, so worth it to us.

You'll basically break even on the drinks. So that's up to you. Advantages of UBP -

1 - If you don't like a drink, you didn't actually pay for it. Try another.

2 - If you drink more than you think, you come out ahead.

3 - No need to worry about the tab during or at the end of a cruise.

Only you can decide if its worth switching or not.

As someone who doesn't drink a lot at home, I drank a fair amount on the cruise with the UBP. Like others have mentioned, it's nice not having to worry about the price. There are so many drink options on the cruise that you will most likely end up drinking more than the price difference.

Sodas are $2.95 + 18% gratuity = $3.48

Two a day is $6.96 per day or $13.92 for the two of you.

Seven days is $97.44.

That leaves $182.50 for your wife's alcohol consumption. At (let's go on the high side) $12 per drink + 18% gratuity is $14.16, or 12 drinks. If she drinks wine, beer or non-premium liquors, it will be even cheaper.

So no, if you're not going to use the Shorex or the Internet, you're likely better off keeping what you have.