Question abut toll road charges in FL with rental car

screenname2004

Will be staying in Kissimee and planning a beach day in Cocoa Beach. Do we need to take the toll road?

there are ways around but the primary route would be to take the Beachline, SR-528 which IS a toll road

There are two tolls of $1 (cash) on 528

from Kissimee you'd possibly use 417 to get to 528. Depending on where you get on 417 you'd encounter one and possibly two tolls of $1.50

these tolls can be paid with cash - but pay attention because the main lanes go 'straight thru' the plaza with no slow down for electronic payment. Cash lanes look like an EXIT to the right. There are attended and exact change lanes. A roll of quarters would cover you for a round trip ($1.5 + $1.5 + $1 +$1 = $5 each way . . . .)

You could also take 192 from Kis' to Melbourne then head north via 95, US1 or A1A to Cocoa Beach with no tolls ... altho the beaches in Melbourne are as nice if not nicer (less touristy area). Just take 192 all the way to the ocean!

Thank you ery much Capt.as this is very helpful. I hate to be a PIA but on another cruise I will be traveling from Miami port to Port Canaveral. Any tolls involved there?

Take I-95 all the way and no tolls

if you opt for the turnpike ... tolls (p.s. you would not take the turnpike all the way to Canaveral but some recommend using the turnpike from the Dade/Broward county line <north Miami> to the Stuart area <here the turnpike turns NW to Orlando>. They perceive less traffic. As a local I don't agree but it is an option.)

I take 95 and drive this route somewhat frequently ... just try to avoid 'rush hours' from Miami to the Palm Beach area

CAUTIONS

1. On 95 in Miami there are 'pay express lanes' .... I recommend you stay away from them .... payment is electronic only

2. Around Miami almost every other limited access highway is a toll road with NO CASH OPTION - payment is either electronic (SUNPASS) or 'toll by plate'. If renting a car and moving around Miami much (and this can mean getting from an airport rental location to I-95) it behoves you to know what your rental company will charge for using their 'toll by plate' service as the cost can vary widely if renting for multiple days ..... https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Edited by Capt_BJ

actually today you exit the port via the tunnel and it puts you directly on 395

How%20to%20Use%20the%20Tunnel.JPG

this assumes you have your own car / are not picking up a rental. there are no rental offices on dodge Island - the location of POM

having a SUNPASS of your own does eliminate the issue

the $5 rebate when buying the SUNPASS mini was an introductory promotion that expired years ago.

I recommend if you are going to buy a SUNPASS, buy the $20 version which is set up for use in more than one car or moving from car to car. Using a free APP you can add a rental's TAG to your SUNPASS account in about one minute. Properly registered it is highly unlikely the system won't process your toll ..... I've been doing this for years and have also loaned my SUNPASS to visiting relatives for use with their rentals. Never had a problem.

https://www.sunpass.com/pdf/MiniWebPDF_E-10-2014.pdf

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar :

"SunPass customers using a rental vehicle may have their tolls applied to their SunPass account. Customers with SunPass Portable transponders may use their transponders in their rental vehicles. (It is strongly recommended that SunPass customers access their online SunPass accounts or contact the SunPass Customer Service Center to add the rental vehicle subscription to their account for the rental period.)"

Thanks for clarifying I haven’t bought a new sunpass in a while!. I agree that a portable sunpass is worth it. $5 surcharges on top of the toll is a rip-off by the rental company IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for all the help. Supposedly Budget will pick me up at POM. Won't be till Jan. so when nearer the date I will call them direct to verify.

This is what I'm cautioning .....

Budget WILL p/up and possibly take you to the airport location. To get back to I-95 you are probably on a toll road with no cash option. Knowing how the rental company 'processes' this can mean $25 or more

THAT SAID

checking out of this discussion

It's very easy to get caught up in those non-suspect toll roads in Miami if one is not paying keen attention. I now make sure I have 'avoid toll roads' as an option on my GPS

Also, I thought the sunpass minis were non transferable. They are like stickers so once you try to peel them off your windshield they get damage.

having a SUNPASS of your own does eliminate the issue

the $5 rebate when buying the SUNPASS mini was an introductory promotion that expired years ago.

I recommend if you are going to buy a SUNPASS, buy the $20 version which is set up for use in more than one car or moving from car to car. Using a free APP you can add a rental's TAG to your SUNPASS account in about one minute. Properly registered it is highly unlikely the system won't process your toll ..... I've been doing this for years and have also loaned my SUNPASS to visiting relatives for use with their rentals. Never had a problem.

https://www.sunpass.com/pdf/MiniWebPDF_E-10-2014.pdf

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar :

"SunPass customers using a rental vehicle may have their tolls applied to their SunPass account. Customers with SunPass Portable transponders may use their transponders in their rental vehicles. (It is strongly recommended that SunPass customers access their online SunPass accounts or contact the SunPass Customer Service Center to add the rental vehicle subscription to their account for the rental period.)"

Great info!