Best Month for Alaska

HaloV

There just is no "best" month - each has its advantages and disadvantages. I prefer May and early June for the never-ending light, few kids, and the driest weather on average. July and August offer the best bear viewing and glacier dog sledding, and better glacier viewing because much of the snow is gone from them. September has short days and worse weather, but a chance of seeing the Northern Lights, and clearance sales at the port shops. I think that most people here will agree that there is no bad Alaska cruise - you just need to decide what your priorities are and book accordingly.

Murray

As stated above... it's about priorities. You can save a little $$ at the beginning or end of the season, you'll see snow in beginning, but have better glacier viewing (get closer ) at end (not to mention good deals shopping), more daylight May thru July... less in September. So decide what is most important to you and go for it. Just remember the accual weather you get is a total crapshoot, you can have lousy weather in July and get 70's in September, you just don't know. Statisticly though, more likely to see rain in September...but I've heard many stories of wonderful weather as well then...:)

I also agree, no really bad time except for the last sailings have the worse potential weather possible. I like mid/late August for the full salmon runs, decent daylight. May is a very scenic time, every trip will offer you something excellent about being in Alaska, go with the timeframe that fits you best.

We were there in mid August of this year for our first time in Alaska. I'd be hard pressed to choose another time for the next trip there. Its going to be tough to match a trip with one day of rain in two weeks, near 80 degree temps, and crystal clear views of Mc Kinley. I'll just thank my lucky stars and hope the next time is half as good.

I have been in May, June and July. My favorite time is the last week in May, first week of June. There is less chance of rain in Alaska in May/first of June.

My July trip had miserable weather. I know this can happen at any time but I will not go back to Alaska at this time.

I have been in May, June and July. My favorite time is the last week in May, first week of June. There is less chance of rain in Alaska in May/first of June.

My July trip had miserable weather. I know this can happen at any time but I will not go back to Alaska at this time.

I have to agree with Coral in that the end of May 1st part of June is the best. I have also been in July and 1st part of Sept. and the changing of leaves during the Sept trip was wonderful. For us July was the worst for weather but hey anytime in Alaska is great for us.

Marilyn

Thanks for everyones reply. My husband wants to do some fly fishing there, so he will be interested in what Budget Queen wrote. Now we will have to find out about what ship to go on. I was told by a crew member of Celebrity, that the smaller ships are better. I get motion sicknes just thinking about it!!

Archived