Tulum Shore Excursions

samuriman

We are going to be heading to Cozumel this January on Carnival. Carnival offers 3 shore excursions to Tulum and we are trying to decide which one to take. I was wondering if has taken them and what their opinions are. The 3 excursions are:

Ancient City Of Tulum

Tulum Temples and Mayan Village with Lunch

VIP Exclusive Tulum and Cenote Swim with Mayan Lunch

I've looked at the descriptions of the current Tulum excursions and none of them seem to quite match the one we took a year and a half ago. Ours was Tulum and beach resort something something. It included a tour of the Tulum ruins and lunch at a beach resort on the way back from the ruins. We thought both were terrific (although my personal love for lunch may have been influenced by the fact we got free beer.)

My wife and I are in our 50s and not in great shape and I can tell you that Tulum in July is pretty darn hot. It was an arduous trek but so very worth it to me. There is a beach at Tulum but our tour did not give much time there as we had to get through the ruins, hear the spiels and wander on our own for a little bit. The beach resort where we lunched afforded us more time and it was beautiful. No A/C in the dining room but lots of shade and free beer helped with that and a lovely ocean view and breeze didn't hurt. The lunch was modest in scope but plentiful as it was all you could eat. Tacos, beans, rice, salad, ceviche, fresh cut fruit and maybe some dessert thing I don't remember. Chips and salsa and a couple sauces from mild to hot. I am not a terribly picky eater so I may have enjoyed it more than some. (there was a gaggle of teenagers nearby ewwing and not awwwing lol). My wife is pickier than I am but she found enough to like and get full.

The ferry ride from Cozumel to the mainland was rough enough to turn a few travelers green but I didn't mind it. The bus ride up the coast was comfortable, the guide was funny enough and informative. Time flew by.

We had a great time and would do it again.

Hi

I would imagine without having tried or know anything about these options that the "VIP exclusive etc." would be the most expensive.

I don't know if that would be a consideration, but I suppose the "VIP & exclusive" component would give you something "extra". That is for you to judge. What I wanted to comment on, was that while it wasn't on any of these excursions, I did have the opportunity to swim in a really beautiful "cenote" in Mexico. While they would all be different, my past experience would make me inclined take the opportunity to see another if possible. It is fresh water and would be cooler than the ocean. It would be the chance to do something different, if you enjoy swimming.

hope this helps

have a great cruise