Paying Onboard account with Qantas Cash Prepaid Platinum MasterCard

I have some $US that I have had for ages (12mth +) on a Qantas FF cash prepaid Platinum MC. I just got off the phone from X to ask if I could settle my onboard account with this card, she said no they don't except any Aust Foreign Currency card. Just a bit confused as the T&C which she directed me to says "Our ships do not accept Australian bank issued foreign currency cards if these do not contain your name either printed or embossed on the front of the card"

Now my card has the name printed on it but she still says no can't use it. Has anyone ever had any experience of this?

I also tried to pre purchase OBC of $400 but it tells me there is a limit of 9 X $25. Never pre purchased OBC before.Thought I would give the card ago to use the $US on it, X also says I can't use it to purchase OBC. She said there was no limit to how much OBC you could purchase and suggested to purchase OBC onboard rather than online.....because of problems.

Normally use my 28 degree card but thought I would use up the $US on Qantas Cash and then close acct.

Here is the T&C

Your onboard account

All Celebrity Cruises ships operate on a ‘cashless’ system. When you check in you will receive a SeaPass℠ account card and all purchases made onboard the ship are made using this card. At the end of the cruise you will receive a statement summarising the charges on your account. To settle your account we require you to register your credit card at check in. As all onboard accounts are payable in US Dollars, your credit card provider or financial institution may levy a foreign exchange transaction fee. Please note that when paying by credit card we obtain daily authorisations from your bank or financial institution, in some cases these may be held for up to 10 days for credit cards and 30 days for debit cards, after your cruise ends and will show as a pending/pre-authorisation transaction. For this reason we do not recommend the use of Debit Cards. Our ships do not accept Australian bank issued foreign currency cards if these do not contain your name either printed or embossed on the front of the card.

Celebrity Cruises SeaPass℠ accounts may be settled in cash. We cannot accept personal cheques and any currency other than US Dollars. A cash machine is available on all Celebrity Cruises ships which dispenses US Dollars (USD $5 fee per transaction will be levied for this service), and Euros (€6 fee per transaction) for European sailings

:confused:

I have some $US that I have had for ages (12mth +) on a Qantas FF cash prepaid Platinum MC. I just got off the phone from X to ask if I could settle my onboard account with this card, she said no they don't except any Aust Foreign Currency card. Just a bit confused as the T&C which she directed me to says "Our ships do not accept Australian bank issued foreign currency cards if these do not contain your name either printed or embossed on the front of the card"

Now my card has the name printed on it but she still says no can't use it. Has anyone ever had any experience of this?

I also tried to pre purchase OBC of $400 but it tells me there is a limit of 9 X $25. Never pre purchased OBC before.Thought I would give the card ago to use the $US on it, X also says I can't use it to purchase OBC. She said there was no limit to how much OBC you could purchase and suggested to purchase OBC onboard rather than online.....because of problems.

Normally use my 28 degree card but thought I would use up the $US on Qantas Cash and then close acct.

Here is the T&C

Your onboard account

All Celebrity Cruises ships operate on a ‘cashless’ system. When you check in you will receive a SeaPass℠ account card and all purchases made onboard the ship are made using this card. At the end of the cruise you will receive a statement summarising the charges on your account. To settle your account we require you to register your credit card at check in. As all onboard accounts are payable in US Dollars, your credit card provider or financial institution may levy a foreign exchange transaction fee. Please note that when paying by credit card we obtain daily authorisations from your bank or financial institution, in some cases these may be held for up to 10 days for credit cards and 30 days for debit cards, after your cruise ends and will show as a pending/pre-authorisation transaction. For this reason we do not recommend the use of Debit Cards. Our ships do not accept Australian bank issued foreign currency cards if these do not contain your name either printed or embossed on the front of the card.

Celebrity Cruises SeaPass℠ accounts may be settled in cash. We cannot accept personal cheques and any currency other than US Dollars. A cash machine is available on all Celebrity Cruises ships which dispenses US Dollars (USD $5 fee per transaction will be levied for this service), and Euros (€6 fee per transaction) for European sailings

:confused:

not sure about Celebrity but i have a Qantas FF debit card and i always use it with Princess and i've booked some RCI cruises and never any problems, it has your name on it....maybe they mean the pre paid card that doesnt have your name on it

not sure about Celebrity but i have a Qantas FF debit card and i always use it with Princess and i've booked some RCI cruises and never any problems, it has your name on it....maybe they mean the pre paid card that doesnt have your name on it

That is what I was thinking but she seemed pretty adamant that x does not except prepaid cards even when I mentioned it has my name on it. It is a Qantas FF card one side and the Mastercard Platinum Number on the reverse side.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

That is what I was thinking but she seemed pretty adamant that x does not except prepaid cards even when I mentioned it has my name on it. It is a Qantas FF card one side and the Mastercard Platinum Number on the reverse side.

have you paid your deposit using the Qantas card and if it went thru ok i'd be trying it to settle your account but have another card as a back up

i have only used my Qantas card to pay the deposit with RCI and it went thru ok but i havent cruised with them using this card but i'll be using it to pay my account

have you paid your deposit using the Qantas card and if it went thru ok i'd be trying it to settle your account but have another card as a back up
No I used another card, everything is paid in full going on Xmas cruise. Just thought this would help pay for drinks. I do have another card I can use to settle account. But just decided to use $US that I already have. I guess I could use the ATM onboard and draw out the $US that way. $5 fee per transaction.

I've used Velocity Global wallet prepaid on Celebrity without problem although my name is on the back of the card. Othertimes at check in I've listed a NAB Amex card but on the final day paid with the Velocity card in USD.

I've used Velocity Global wallet prepaid on Celebrity without problem although my name is on the back of the card. Othertimes at check in I've listed a NAB Amex card but on the final day paid with the Velocity card in USD.

Interesting....when it's all said and done it's money they get paid.

Canstar winners for Jun 2017

https://www.canstar.com.au/star-rating-reports/travel-money-card/

Edited by wombat13

You should be able use the pre paid card to withdraw the USD from the ATM machine on board, and pay in cash. If there is any balance it can be put onto a credit card. Or do as suggested by Lyndarra. Basically they just need something to put a hold on. How you actually pay is somewhat beside the point. K

You should be able use the pre paid card to withdraw the USD from the ATM machine on board, and pay in cash. If there is any balance it can be put onto a credit card. Or do as suggested by Lyndarra. Basically they just need something to put a hold on. How you actually pay is somewhat beside the point. K
That's what I thought. Thank you

I used my Qantas Cash card on Independence in June. I ended up changing to another card halfway through the cruise though because Qantas card ended up with zero balance due to all the holds placed on the card by Royal.

About two weeks after I returned home, I logged into my account and the money on hold had been returned. I won't use a debit card again for my on-board account.

I used my Qantas Cash card on Independence in June. I ended up changing to another card halfway through the cruise though because Qantas card ended up with zero balance due to all the holds placed on the card by Royal.

About two weeks after I returned home, I logged into my account and the money on hold had been returned. I won't use a debit card again for my on-board account.

Using my CC card for holding onboard acct. But planning on settling the account on last day with my prepaid card . If Guest relations can't use it I will get cash out of atm and then pay them that way.

I believe this is the problem! once the cash card has a hold of any kind the hold amount put on it then shows no or not enough balance for estimated spend even though the hold has not actually been spent. Once the ship is a sail there is no method of ships accounts to recheck the balance remaining plus card holders can get left high & dry with a hold that isnt immediately returned by the holder which in turn creates complaints about the cruieline.

I encountered some Aussies having this problem in USA with currency specific cash cards. in fact Americans dont use cash cards so they are not always recognized as they should be.

Waste of good money if you ask me! cash cards are a wrought intended for cash nervous travelers. Cash costs nothing cash cards incur unessesary fees one way or another.

I think there's some confusion in terminology.

A prepaid card is one with a set amount bought on it, single use only e.g. $50, $100 and so on. Celebrity won't accept those.

You don't have a prepaid card - although you put cash on to it, it's just a debit card like others, except you can have balances in other currencies. So should be no problem using it.

That said... as others pointed out, the risk with any debit card, foreign currency or not, is that holds take over the balance. You often hear people complain of the same issue with just the standard AUD, non-foreign currency card.

Waste of good money if you ask me! cash cards are a wrought intended for cash nervous travelers. Cash costs nothing cash cards incur unessesary fees one way or another.

Well, not if they're used as intended, which is as a means to access cash, i.e. like an ATM card.

They aren't designed as a credit card replacement though.

As for the cost, when you buy foreign cash it normally has a worse exchange rate due to the extra costs associated with handling and storing cash, so it does cost something. There may also be a commission charge. Some of the foreign storage cards have also had extra fees though, so it comes down to how convenient either is for you, and individual preferences.

I think there's some confusion in terminology.

A prepaid card is one with a set amount bought on it, single use only e.g. $50, $100 and so on. Celebrity won't accept those.

You don't have a prepaid card - although you put cash on to it, it's just a debit card like others, except you can have balances in other currencies. So should be no problem using it.

That said... as others pointed out, the risk with any debit card, foreign currency or not, is that holds take over the balance. You often hear people complain of the same issue with just the standard AUD, non-foreign currency card.

Thank you for the explanation. I understand now, the card does say prepaid platinum mc so when I was talking to X that's why she said I would not be able to use it. Well I am glad that is sorted. My onboard account is 28 degree card.