Vancouver to Seward AK cruise disembark in Skagway?

swanhaven

Hi everyone,

Before I call NCL to ask, I thought I'd utilize all the super helpful and knowledgeable folks here - I learned so much before our first NCL cruise on the Pearl out of Nolo in November on these boards!

Does anyone know if I take an AK cruise out of Vancouver if I can disembark early in Skagway instead and end my cruise there?

Also does anyone know if I can embark in Skagway if I were to take an AK cruise that ends in Vancouver or Seattle?

Thanks ahead for any help :)

For sure you cannot sail from Skagway to Seattle. I'm fairly certain you can't board in Skagway and disembark in Vancouver. I've not seen Canadian Customs officials at the pier to either embark or disembark in Skagway.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

Thank you both for your replies, I would prefer to go SEA or Vancouver up if we can swing it.

We live about an hour and a half from Skagway (in Canada though!) so don't really want to go all the way over to Seward or Whittier if we can help it - Skagway disembark would be ideal for a super quick, very beautiful trip for us.

:)

If the cruise ends in Vancouver I would be possible to board in Skagway. Holland America offers cruise tours on the Volendam that have you get off in Skagway or boarding there. I noticed Luggage outside the night before arriving in skagway and a Muster drill with alarms was Conducted in Skagway for the passengers boarding. it is allowed as the cruise is ending in a foreign port

Have you considered the Alaska Marine Highway? Facilities are basic but very pleasant with weekly departures from Bellingham to Skagway Fridays and and summer departures Saturdays to Whittier. The summer 2018 season just opened for booking:

http://ferryalaska.com

I sailed one of the ferries last summer on the way to an Alaska cruise. The ferry portion starts at post 72:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2379288&page=4

Roy

For sure you cannot sail from Skagway to Seattle. I'm fairly certain you can't board in Skagway and disembark in Vancouver. I've not seen Canadian Customs officials at the pier to either embark or disembark in Skagway.

David

You wouldn't have to clear any type of customs in Skagway, you would do it in Vancouver at the end of the cruise. You also don't have to clear US customs as you leave the US. If sailing from Vancouver and disembarking in Skagway, you do nto have any customs issues because you clear US customs when embarking in Vancouver. If you cruise from Seward to Skagway on one fo the mass market lines then you run into issues, unless you are on one of the tiny lines that does not have PVSA issues.

If the cruise ends in Vancouver I would be possible to board in Skagway. Holland America offers cruise tours on the Volendam that have you get off in Skagway or boarding there. I noticed Luggage outside the night before arriving in skagway and a Muster drill with alarms was Conducted in Skagway for the passengers boarding. it is allowed as the cruise is ending in a foreign port

Sounds as if then it wouldn't be too problematic to do the opposite and sail from Vancouver up to Skagway.

Thanks!

Have you considered the Alaska Marine Highway? Facilities are basic but very pleasant with weekly departures from Bellingham to Skagway Fridays and and summer departures Saturdays to Whittier. The summer 2018 season just opened for booking:

http://ferryalaska.com

I sailed one of the ferries last summer on the way to an Alaska cruise. The ferry portion starts at post 72:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2379288&page=4

Roy

Thanks Roy,

Have used the AMHS many times to pop between Haines and Skagway - I'm hoping to get a cruise bargain closer in and have a cruise experience with food and a room included for one price as opposed to the ferry experience.

Don't get me wrong the ferry really is a nice trip but I'm hoping to get more bang for my buck - great suggestion though! :)