Next Cruise deposit, not refundable at a refundable cruise price

During our last cruise through Alaska in June we booked a cruise to dummy for next year knowing that we were going to change it to a cruise to Greece for 2019. We put down $100 to secure the reservation (family of 3). This week when I went to change it did the Greek cruise they said that they would convert the existing reservation keeping the $100, which is not refundable (we got $100 credit in exchange on our last cruise) but we had to take the higher refundable deposit. Or I could lose the $100 and give them $750 deposit for a no refundable deposit at a lower price.

At this point I am going to stick with what we have. If by the time we book the airfare (confirmation that we will be going for sure) the prices have lowered then I guess I can cancel the reservation and take the $100 loss for the higher total cruise price savings. We have to wait and see. I just think the approach is confusing.

Interesting question. We had a cruise reserved with $100 through Next Cruise. We had to change it, and had to put down an additional $900 for the 4 of us, as they had converted us to a non refundable deposit. I have no idea how they determine which cruises to make refundable and which non refundable deposits.

Interesting question. We had a cruise reserved with $100 through Next Cruise. We had to change it, and had to put down an additional $900 for the 4 of us, as they had converted us to a non refundable deposit. I have no idea how they determine which cruises to make refundable and which non refundable deposits.

There are different prices for cruises. The lowest price is the non-refundable deposit. There are also prices for a regular deposit. Talk with your Travel Agent (Celebrity, or your personal TA). If you book with a regular deposit, it would be refundable.

It’s $100 per cabin not per person.

I couldn't believe that it's per cabin as it would not be worth their while. Did add'l research and in essence it's 100 change fee per guest and per change. I thought it was on the 1st 2 guests as my TA change fees apply.

Below is details from one of RCL's web pages.

Key Points

• The Non-Refundable Deposit fare will default at the Best Rate whenever available, as it will always be priced

lower than the Regular Brand Promotion.

• The fare name will have No Ref Dep as part of the name to indicate that it is part of the Non-Refundable

Deposit Program

• When creating a Non-Refundable Deposit reservation, the client MUST be informed by the Travel Partner that they

are creating a Non-Refundable Deposit reservation. They also must advise that if the ship/sail date changes the

reservation will incur a $100 per person change fee.

• I f more than 6 months to sailing an Early Booking Incentive will be available

Interior/Ocean View Balcony/Suite

1-5 Nights $25 OBC $50 OBC

6+ Nights $50 OBC $100 OBC

• When viewing the Pricing Screen there will be button to change the view between the Non-Refundable

Deposit fare and the regular fare.

Since you said you got "$100 credit" on your last cruise, did you get $100 OBC that you already spent? That would be why they're keeping it. They already gave you in credit the cost of the deposit. We did the same thing, but we opted to put the OBC on the future cruise. When I changed that cruise, they wanted to keep the deposit as they thought we had already spent it in OBC on the cruise we were on when we booked it. I talked to them and they checked our account and realized we had not spent the OBC so the deposit was put on the cruise we changed to. So my guess is that you already spent the $100, therefore you aren't actually losing it.

Since you said you got "$100 credit" on your last cruise, did you get $100 OBC that you already spent? That would be why they're keeping it. They already gave you in credit the cost of the deposit. We did the same thing, but we opted to put the OBC on the future cruise. When I changed that cruise, they wanted to keep the deposit as they thought we had already spent it in OBC on the cruise we were on when we booked it. I talked to them and they checked our account and realized we had not spent the OBC so the deposit was put on the cruise we changed to. So my guess is that you already spent the $100, therefore you aren't actually losing it.

Yes, this is what they did with the $100 deposit/OBC. However it shouldn't matter if they already spent it on board, because the deposit is still eligible to be moved to a new date. My current cruise is booked with a deposit I made on board, where I also took the OBC and spent it on that cruise, and I have moved the date with that same deposit 3 times. If I cancelled altogether, the "placeholder" credit would be gone because they don't owe me anything, but I can move it as often as I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums