Tips going Up

tugboat

To be correct it would be 14 dollars a week, Times the 5 cruises I have next year or $70.00

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is honestly not a big deal considering you have 5 cruises I wouldn’t be angered by a little 70 across 5 cruises

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lol at where this thread is heading lol

Its great news that Europe RCI cruises may start to include grats in the cruise price,lets hope USA goes down the same path and then people can just get on and reward staff in anyway they feel fit,extra money or a simple handshake & smile.

Many North Americans will never accept that gratuity is set by a modern cruise line because it is in fact a "service charge" and not a casual Tip and modern cruisers are not meant to be remove them in any shape or form! of course with any service that fails to deliver very badly you have the right to depute a service charge when service was not delivered but its rare.

Why would au RCI state in their old pre included in the price grats

T&C,s that grats were a "service charge" if they were not? it is one company not many! simple to look up and see if you dont believe my copy& paste a few posts up.

Fact:

For the amount of common to the culture cash tippers in USA there are just as many tip stiffer,s on ocean and land.

How to know: visit a common eatery in USA and simply ask your waitstaff why the table beside you left half their food un eaten and drinks half finished and you will be told the truth,they do it to stiff the tips! By leaving food and drinks it shows un warented displeasure for a purpose. :)

Not true at all.

Why can't you accept there is a different culture? You keep insisting your way is the best way. It is not!

I am fine with average service!

But as defined by the CoC - grats are only for excellent service surrendered/ payable!

Gratuities are a cruise-line - scam IMHO!

Cruise - lines have no ethics or integrity it is all about the CoC!

Please define excellent service for me!:p

Firstly, you said you state that "Please remove the gratuity from my account - as stated in your CoC - I think your service stinks!"

"Stinking service" is not "average service" so goes back to lying to not pay.

Secondly, as said originally, their requirement for cancelling the service charge is that service is not satisfactory - NOT that it must be excellent service. That is again you incorrectly redefining and misquoting to get out of the policy.

Which is what we've done for almost every cruise. I just resent having someone force us to tip, that's all. We tip what we want to whom we want, when we want. And that's how a tip should be handled...based on the definition of Tip. "A gratuity given for service above and beyond expectations." I reserve the right to make that determination. And we consider ourselves to be extremely generous. But I'm not tipping someone who did not achieve that criteria. Or who never even made contact with us. Just sayin....

We never put auto gratuity on. If it is on we get it removed. We always tip well but I don’t EVER want to be told to tip prior to service. Some say that autotips don’t affect the service. I’d like to see a quantitative study on that. All I know is that our cabin Stewart knows his tip isn’t guaranteed so I find that I’ve NEVER had a bad room attendant. I also start off my first hello with him/her with a $10 or $20 and let them know what time we usually leave the cabin in the morning and approximately what time we will be back and we’d like the room done up prior. This also goes for evening dinner. I’ve yet to meet one who didn’t act on my wishes. Usually day 4 I give another tip of same amount then the normal 7-8 day total tip on the last night depending on duration of the cruise. Same is done with waiters except we don’t eat in MDR. We haven’t for years. We only do Specialty Dining and tip per service even though the tip is included with the charge for the restaurant, we generally give extra. I know a lot of people who love the auto-gratuity and that’s great, I’m just not one of them and don’t want to be forced into it and I’m happy we still have an option to opt out although you usually need to go to guest services to do it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Firstly, you said you state that "Please remove the gratuity from my account - as stated in your CoC - I think your service stinks!"

"Stinking service" is not "average service" so goes back to lying to not pay.

Secondly, as said originally, their requirement for cancelling the service charge is that service is not satisfactory - NOT that it must be excellent service. That is again you incorrectly redefining and misquoting to get out of the policy.

OK Sheldon:

"Please remove the gratuity from my account - as stated in your CoC - I think your service is not satisfactory !"

Happy now? :p

I am never happy with the service on the mass cruise-lines since they started cutting corners a few years ago....

Less waiters, less food- quality, less service

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

We never put auto gratuity on. If it is on we get it removed. We always tip well but I don’t EVER want to be told to tip prior to service. Some say that autotips don’t affect the service. I’d like to see a quantitative study on that. All I know is that our cabin Stewart knows his tip isn’t guaranteed so I find that I’ve NEVER had a bad room attendant. I also start off my first hello with him/her with a $10 or $20 and let them know what time we usually leave the cabin in the morning and approximately what time we will be back and we’d like the room done up prior. This also goes for evening dinner. I’ve yet to meet one who didn’t act on my wishes. Usually day 4 I give another tip of same amount then the normal 7-8 day total tip on the last night depending on duration of the cruise. Same is done with waiters except we don’t eat in MDR. We haven’t for years. We only do Specialty Dining and tip per service even though the tip is included with the charge for the restaurant, we generally give extra. I know a lot of people who love the auto-gratuity and that’s great, I’m just not one of them and don’t want to be forced into it and I’m happy we still have an option to opt out although you usually need to go to guest services to do it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So good for you!

You pay for that service and it works!

Good thing others do not need that kind of attention - they can save their grats - all are happy!

Since the attendant is so busy with your timing other do not get their room made up in time... But that's OK they might not mind the unsatisfactory service....!" ;p

OK Sheldon:

"Please remove the gratuity from my account - as stated in your CoC - I think your service is not satisfactory !"

Happy now? :p

I am never happy with the service on the mass cruise-lines since they started cutting corners a few years ago....

It's not whether I'm happy; it's up to the cruise line.

As for the last, if you're "never happy with the service" one wonders why you continue to take cruises with them. I wouldn't get want to spend money on something I'm not happy with - and obviously isn't compulsory.

OK Sheldon:

Happy now? [emoji14]

I wonder why someone so unhappy with the service and find so much lacking would continue spending money with that cruiseline?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

It's not whether I'm happy; it's up to the cruise line.

As for the last, if you're "never happy with the service" one wonders why you continue to take cruises with them. I wouldn't get want to spend money on something I'm not happy with - and obviously isn't compulsory.

OH I am very happy with cruising!

No need to worry! (y)

I wonder why someone so unhappy with the service and find so much lacking would continue spending money with that cruiseline?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Have not found something better yet.... in that price-range :halo:

I am certainly not cruising for the (mediocre) service... :rolleyes:

And I am easy to please - I can live with their fails and they have to live with mine... ;p

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

Wow, I have read through this thread from start to finish. Very interesting.

Although, it is clearly unpopular on this forum and lots won’t admit it, I too remove auto tips. I don’t want to be told to who and how much to tip. If it ceases to be optional, I will deal with it then. It is currently a gratuity not a service charge.

I do tip on the cruise. Although I don’t feel I should have to defend myself but... we don’t eat in the dining room (we travel with just carryons so don’t dress up and actually love the WJ food over the MDR) but tip our servers in Windjammer and cabin steward. No, it probably doesn’t add up to $27 per day.

I personally don’t trust RC to use auto tips entirely as they should be intended. No proof but clearly profitmaking is their game.

To those who feel they are doing the right thing by trusting RC to disperse gratuities because they suggest it, I respect your right to choose that. But remember tipping is still a choice.

^ as with many others, price > convictions.

No I would not say so the Fan-boys have the conviction....

I know RCI is a stinking - lying company - I will just ignore that because I am fine with their overall product and get them back as much as I can...

I differenciate between the product and the rest of the company!

I know what game they play and take it as a challenge to beat them wherever I can...

Actually it amazes me how they are able to scam everybody into overtipping - but I absolutely love it - as it keeps the grats removable! :halo:

The minute that scale tips.... we go Costa and Aussie ruling:eek: