MTD on formal nights

I just read a review for Radiance. Here is an extract....the bold red part has me a bit confused....

"We chose MyTime dining, not knowing that even with that you could book a definite time for each evening of your cruise. We were considered walk ins and therefore missed out on the formal nights".

Why would one miss out on formal nights just because they have MTD? Is it in a different dining room? Do they serve different food? :confused:

I just read a review for Radiance. Here is an extract....the bold red part has me a bit confused....

"We chose MyTime dining, not knowing that even with that you could book a definite time for each evening of your cruise. We were considered walk ins and therefore missed out on the formal nights".

Why would one miss out on formal nights just because they have MTD? Is it in a different dining room? Do they serve different food? :confused:

The only way you would miss it is if they did not have reservations and did not want to wait for a table.

I'm on Harmony now. Tonight is 2nd formal night serving lobster tail. Waiter told us to come earlier than usual. We are doing MTD and my brother booked it for us (group of 15). Sparse crowd last night as we left Falmouth. Waiter expects it to be packed tonight and we might miss sitting at our usual table. So, maybe overbooking/crowd control could cause someone to miss out. I'll see how it goes tonight.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

All forms of dining room seating have the same menus and same dress suggestions. Unless you decline to go to the dining room on a formal night, you will not miss "formal" night.

There really is nothing so "special" about the food on "formal night"....the 2nd formal night is when they serve lobster tails (warm water, not Maine!!), and usually prime rib or some sort of beef. The sides are the same as overnight. It's just they hope folks dress better on "formal" nights!

If you don't know in advance that it's "formal night", you would never guess by the menu!

MTD is the same restaurant and menu as fixed seating dining. Formal nights tend to be busier and without a reservation the wait may have been longer than the OP cared to wait. No reason to miss formal night dinner in MTD.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. Another question..... Is "smart casual" wear allowed on formal night?

For the most part, the dress code is a suggestion. You will see people in everything from gym shorts and a tshirt to tuxes.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. Another question..... Is "smart casual" wear allowed on formal night?
I've seen a wide variety of dress at dinner. Since this is a holiday cruise, most folks are dressed up and taking advantage of the professional portraits.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk