Star Dec 1 – 14 Trip Report with some pics

Oakman58

It took some time for the captain to find a whale and when we did the only thing we saw of this one whale was his humpback when he came up to breathe. Our boat never did get very close to the whale. We followed the whale for about 10 minutes and then he seemed to disappear. A crewmember mentioned that we were probably lucky to find that one because it was so early in the season. Humpback whale watching season runs from mid-December to mid-April. Mentally I began kicking myself for not booking a PC cruise in the month of January or February.

During the down time of looking for whales we ate some of the included chips and salsa along with a coke. Adult beverages were also included but we both passed since it was so early in the day. I was beginning to think this trip would be a bust when the captain found two more whales not far from Land’s End. We followed them, but again we only saw their backs as they came up for air, no flukes or flippers.

727dxc.jpg

As we cruised along following those two whales a small boat appeared and began to follow the whales also. The whales disappeared for a bit and then suddenly one of the whales stuck a flipper into the air. I think this picture gives a little perspective as to how big the whales are.

315mzkg.jpg

The whales disappeared again for a short while and then suddenly the show began. The whales exploded from the ocean and began their breaching behavior. It was AMAZING! It was AWESOME!

11j0umh.jpg

2irl0cg.jpg

2ez7d4z.jpg

20abe4z.jpg

The whales were still performing this breaching activity when our tour ended and the boat turned to head back to port. I could not have asked for a better tour than this one. Just as our boat arrived back at the pier a light rain began to fall. Talk about perfect timing. We boarded a lifeboat for the ride back to the ship and were onboard the Star at 11:30AM. The light rain stopped soon after.

We ate lunch at the buffet and then met Mark and June by the pool. My notes tell me we took another nap in the afternoon. It’s funny, I don’t remember taking that many naps. Maybe the Bushwackers had something to do with that. LOL!

We met up with Mark and June again in the 5 o’clock somewhere bar for pre-dinner drinks and then went to dinner at 7 PM in the Versailles dining room. After dinner we went to the Spinnaker to watch the Perfect Couple Game Show which was pretty funny.

The White Hot Party was tonight but it didn’t begin until 10:45 which was just too late for this old man. No towel animal in our room tonight but there was a notice on our bed to turn our clocks back one hour.

Love your review! And thanks for sharing your amazing whales pictures!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Loving your review! Thank you.

Thank you both. The whale excursion was one of those times that I wished I owned better camera equipment. Hopefully I'll have the time tomorrow to finish this trip report.

Thank you for such a great review! I really enjoy your detailed commentary, the photos, and your sense of humor! Your review brought back many memories of our Panama Canal cruise in October 2016. I'm so glad you had another great PC cruise!

Also loved the whale photos from Cabo. We really fell in love with Cabo when we stopped there on our PC cruise (had never been there before and have not been back since). We are going back there for a week coming up here soon in February. We are looking forward to some whale watching too! Since our PC cruise was in October we saw zero whales. So being there in February we should (hopefully!) have a really good chance of seeing some!

Thanks again for your review.

Day 14 Sea Day

When I stepped onto the balcony this morning I was surprised how chilly it felt. The wind made it feel colder than the actual temperature of 68 degrees. This was our last full day on the Star and it was a bittersweet morning for me. I loved this 14 day cruise on the Star and didn’t want to leave, yet I was ready to get back home to connect with family again. I was especially looking forward to seeing my beautiful little granddaughter. This little girl melts my heart.

2w6wgp3.jpg

At 9AM we went down to the Spinnaker Lounge for the final game of Progressive Trivia. Even though we hadn’t been playing the progressive game it gave us something to do. I don’t know why I like trivia so much since it points out to me how little I know. Dianne (mains_dream) joined us and played the game along with us. Afterward we enjoyed a nice conversation with her. Dianne if you’re reading this, thanks again for setting up the meet and greet on our roll call.

After trivia we went to the Tradewinds shops and bought Joyce a jacket. We both only had light outerwear and since we would have to wait in the cold for a shuttle to take us to our car in St. Louis we bought the jacket.

This was our last cruise day so we went up to the pool deck and grabbed a couple of mimosas at the pool bar. The air was still chilly so there were plenty of seats available. Once seated, we toasted each other with our last mimosa.

2m3mv5v.jpg

When we finished that drink I thought what the heck, and got us two more mimosas. Once again we toasted each other with this final mimosa of our cruise. We enjoyed talking and reminiscing about how wonderful this cruise had been. A server noticed our empty glasses and asked if we’d like a refill. What could I do, I ordered two more mimosas and then we toasted each other with our final mimosa.

As we were finishing this last mimosa the server came around again and asked me if we needed another. I laughed out loud and replied, “No, we’ve had more than enough mimosas, bring us a couple of bushwackers.” When our drinks arrived we toasted each other again with our final bushwacker of the cruise. I guess the bartender didn’t have much business this morning because he put a fancy chocolate design on the top of our drinks. By the way, if you like chocolate, you’ll love the taste of a properly prepared bushwacker.

20t15oj.jpg

As we were finishing our drink I received a message from Mark via the IConcierge app inviting us to join them for lunch at O’Sheehan’s. As we walked to the elevators we noticed a distinct side to side movement of the ship. Then I noticed we seemed to be the only passengers experiencing this slight side to side movement…go figure.

After lunch the four of us went down to the 5 O’clock Somewhere bar and played some rounds of Left, Right, Center. I think I came out the big winner pocketing winnings of 75 cents.

After the game Joyce and I went back to our cabin to pack our suitcases for the trip back home tomorrow. The sun was setting early today and produced a very pretty sky.

28rfp1x.jpg

We had 7:30 dinner reservation in Le Bistro tonight. The food was good and our server was excellent but it was my least favorite restaurant. I ordered the beef tenderloin and it was cooked to perfection but the Roquefort cheese potato gratin tasted nasty to me. Perhaps it was the Roquefort cheese I didn’t like. Here’s a pic of the menu.

xfuesg.jpg

After dinner Joyce and I stopped at Gatsby’s and got two glasses of wine to take back to our room. We didn’t have to set our luggage out because we would be doing a walk off in the morning.

Day 15 Going home.

I was up early and on our balcony as the ship entered the channel taking us to the Port in Los Angeles.

2woag3s.jpg

Although the scheduled arrival time in LA was 8 AM, I think we were tied up at the pier by 6:45. Walk off passengers lined up beginning around 7 AM but the actual walk-off didn’t begin until 7:45. Even though our flight wasn’t until 2:45 PM we went ahead and got in the early line-up on the ship.

dfd729.jpg

We breezed through customs and were walking through the terminal when a representative from NCL asked us if we wanted to use NCL’s bus transfer to the airport. Originally I had planned to take a taxi but since we were through customs so early we opted for the bus. The cost was $25 per passenger.

Although Friday morning rush hour traffic was heavy we arrived at the Southwest terminal at LAX by 9:10. Southwest won’t accept checked luggage if it’s more than 4 hours before the scheduled flight departure so we had to wait in the check in area until 10:45 to check our luggage.

That part of the terminal only had two all gender bathrooms, and by that I mean just one toilet in each bathroom. Naturally with the number of people in this area there was a line of fidgety people waiting to use them.

30bz3vr.jpg

The rest of our trip was uneventful. Our plane departed LAX on time and landed in Denver where we had a layover and plane change. We landed in St. Louis at 10:45 PM and the temperature was 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Brrrr, welcome back to winter.

Fortunately the shuttle to the parking lot was sitting at the terminal so we didn’t have to freeze waiting for it. We picked up our car and after stopping to get some take out fast food were back in our house just before midnight.

I think I finished this trip report just in time since we’ll be leaving in just two weeks for a short cruise on the Jade.

Thank you for such a great review! I really enjoy your detailed commentary, the photos, and your sense of humor! Your review brought back many memories of our Panama Canal cruise in October 2016. I'm so glad you had another great PC cruise!

Also loved the whale photos from Cabo. We really fell in love with Cabo when we stopped there on our PC cruise (had never been there before and have not been back since). We are going back there for a week coming up here soon in February. We are looking forward to some whale watching too! Since our PC cruise was in October we saw zero whales. So being there in February we should (hopefully!) have a really good chance of seeing some!

Thanks again for your review.

I should be thanking you. It was your trip report on Cruise Critic that got me to thinking about taking another cruise through the Panama Canal.

I hope you see plenty of whales when you go to Cabo in February.

Oakman.

Thank you,

My mom and I leave for the reverse version of this same cruise on Feb 2. I have a better Idea what to pack and how to plan my days. I will definitely be bringing a dice game and cards.

Happy cruising.

Wendy

Thank you so much for your review! We are leaving March 16 on the Sun for 16 days thru the Canal and your pics and review got me even more excited! Is there anything that you wished you would have done differently? Or anything you feel you missed? We're all of your tours thru NCL? We hardly ever do tours with the cruise, but to get to Antigua I will definitely use the ship tour based on reports of traffic jams. Any other tips? Thank you[emoji4]

Oakman.

Thank you,

My mom and I leave for the reverse version of this same cruise on Feb 2. I have a better Idea what to pack and how to plan my days. I will definitely be bringing a dice game and cards.

Happy cruising.

Wendy

Yes, Thank you Oakman58 for such a terrific review! My Mom and I are also on the Feb 2nd cruise going LA to Miami. Your observations and detail were incredibly helpful in our planning.

And hopefully we will see you Wendy on our cruise in a few weeks time!

Clara

Oakman.

Thank you,

Happy cruising.

Wendy

Yes cards and games are a great idea because of all the sea days. The ship also offered a lot of activities that I didn’t mention in my report, lectures, origami lessons, cooking demonstrations, pool side games, etc. I hope you have a great canal crossing.

Thank you so much for your review! We are leaving March 16 on the Sun for 16 days thru the Canal and your pics and review got me even more excited! Is there anything that you wished you would have done differently? Or anything you feel you missed? We're all of your tours thru NCL? We hardly ever do tours with the cruise, but to get to Antigua I will definitely use the ship tour based on reports of traffic jams. Any other tips? Thank you[emoji4]

The only thing I would have done differently would have been to do an excursion other than the Chiva Bus in Cartagena. I can’t think of anything I feel we missed. We booked all of our excursions through NCL.

The only tip I have for the canal is don’t just stay in one place when going through the locks. Move around the ship. Watching the locomotives alongside the ship is very interesting. The front of the ship will be the most crowded in the locks but watching the locks from the rear of the ship is almost as interesting and much less crowded.

I hope you have great weather for your cruise.

Thank you for your time and detailed review of the cruise. Like you we loved our PC cruise on the Star. Your report brought back so many fond memories. Aren't those Bushwackers just the best adult chocolate shakes in the world? Especially when made by Robert or Nickie in O'Sheehan's. Wonderful report and loved the pictures.

What a great review / overview of your cruise! Thank you for taking the time to go through each day and include photos. We are on the next sailing from Miami in less than two weeks now and can't wait. We've been in a deep freeze here in mid Canada for weeks now.

Curious about the Chiva party bus and if you felt you got a good tour and not just a good time lol We've hit a small van tour booked privately (Dora) with other cc members but like this party bus idea. I looked all over and it is only available in the afternoon unless you book it directly with the cruise line.

Also I think earlier on in your review you mentioned that the service in the Ginza wasn't really good?… How was the food?

Do you have any pictures of your balcony? We're on deck 9 midship balcony and have placed upgrade offers for a couple of penthouse suites but doubt that we will get one.

Also curious about your brother-in-law's forward penthouse. Would you know if you are not allowed to use it or just not have the light on at night because it interferes with the captain's bridge?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide. Again great review and wishing you an awesome trip on the Jade.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have enjoyed this review very much. Thank you Oakman for your time and talent.

Some people have mentioned wanting the Dailys. My son got my scanner reconnected to my router so I made PDFs of them but the 56 pages take up almost 48 Meg. If someone still wants them we'll need to figure out how move that much info.

I have enjoyed this review very much. Thank you Oakman for your time and talent.

Some people have mentioned wanting the Dailys. My son got my scanner reconnected to my router so I made PDFs of them but the 56 pages take up almost 48 Meg. If someone still wants them we'll need to figure out how move that much info.

I would love to have a copy of the Dailys which would take 3 emails at a max. 20MB each. If you wanted to divide them up and put them into folders & email them I can give you my address. Please let me know!:D

Thank you for your time and detailed review of the cruise. Like you we loved our PC cruise on the Star. Your report brought back so many fond memories. Aren't those Bushwackers just the best adult chocolate shakes in the world? Especially when made by Robert or Nickie in O'Sheehan's. Wonderful report and loved the pictures.

Good description of the Bushwacker, an adult chocolate shake. Thank you for the nice comment about my report.

What a great review / overview of your cruise! Thank you for taking the time to go through each day and include photos. We are on the next sailing from Miami in less than two weeks now and can't wait. We've been in a deep freeze here in mid Canada for weeks now.

Curious about the Chiva party bus and if you felt you got a good tour and not just a good time lol We've hit a small van tour booked privately (Dora) with other cc members but like this party bus idea. I looked all over and it is only available in the afternoon unless you book it directly with the cruise line.

Also I think earlier on in your review you mentioned that the service in the Ginza wasn't really good?… How was the food?

Do you have any pictures of your balcony? We're on deck 9 midship balcony and have placed upgrade offers for a couple of penthouse suites but doubt that we will get one.

Also curious about your brother-in-law's forward penthouse. Would you know if you are not allowed to use it or just not have the light on at night because it interferes with the captain's bridge?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide. Again great review and wishing you an awesome trip on the Jade.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The NCL excursion description mentioned quite a few photo opportunity stops on the Chiva Bus Tour but we only made two stops. So yes, I was disappointed in the tour. The party on the bus was custom made for anyone who enjoys drinking, music, and singing. I have to wonder if the reason we made so few stops was because some passengers had real difficulty getting back on the bus.

Yes, my sister and her husband could use the their balcony at night but no light on the balcony so the drapes on their window had to be closed at night. That didn't seem to bother them and they used it quite a bit at night.

Food is a very subjective topic but the four of us all felt the food in the Ginza was excellent.

Here are the only two pictures I have of our balcony.

2j2coci.jpg

n1z5ht.jpg

I hope you have a great time and great weather for your cruise.

Oakman.

Thank you,

Happy cruising.

Wendy

we are also on the 2rd feb cruise , my first cruise so oakmans review has been very helpful

The NCL excursion description mentioned quite a few photo opportunity stops on the Chiva Bus Tour but we only made two stops. So yes, I was disappointed in the tour. The party on the bus was custom made for anyone who enjoys drinking, music, and singing. I have to wonder if the reason we made so few stops was because some passengers had real difficulty getting back on the bus.

Yes, my sister and her husband could use the their balcony at night but no light on the balcony so the drapes on their window had to be closed at night. That didn't seem to bother them and they used it quite a bit at night.

Food is a very subjective topic but the four of us all felt the food in the Ginza was excellent.

Here are the only two pictures I have of our balcony.

2j2coci.jpg

n1z5ht.jpg

I hope you have a great time and great weather for your cruise.

Thank you so much for your responses. I really appreciate the follow-up[emoji4]