Double charges to credit card?

bulldogatl

I didn't know this was ever done to CCs. I've only heard it used on Debit Cards, and I've never experienced it on my own CC. Is it a US thing?

I also don't have an amount ON my CC - only a max spending per month.

Certainly US credit cards do it, with credit cards apps people are just noticing holds nowadays.

Here's what Carnival says about holds in the "Important Information" section of the edocs:

CREDIT CARD AND DEBIT CARD HOLD An initial hold will be placed on your credit card or debit card (checking account) at the beginning of the cruise as a deposit for on board purchases. Additional holds will occur through the course of the cruise for every onboard purchase until the total charge is billed at the end of the cruise. This will reduce the amount of available credit on your credit card or restrict the availability of cash in your checking account, should you wish to use the same credit / debit card elsewhere. Any remaining hold after the end of the cruise will automatically be released by your issuing bank within 72 working hours.

I didn't know this was ever done to CCs. I've only heard it used on Debit Cards, and I've never experienced it on my own CC. Is it a US thing?

I also don't have an amount ON my CC - only a max spending per month.

The holds are definately done on both. The difference between a debit card and a credit card is you often have a sufficient limit to the card that you will never notice the holds. And my card, for example, never posts holds, just charges. So unless a hold caused me to hit my credit limit, you’d never know it was there.

In the US, at least, when a credit card is issued it gives you a credit limit. The most you can charge up without paying it off. You are required to make minimum monthly payments, but can keep that amount borrowed from the bank as a line of credit indefinitely (and of course, accruing interest).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In the US, at least, when a credit card is issued it gives you a credit limit. The most you can charge up without paying it off. You are required to make minimum monthly payments, but can keep that amount borrowed from the bank as a line of credit indefinitely (and of course, accruing interest).

It may be the case that there are holds, but as my credit limit is pretty high I never realize it. Also it's normal (I think) to pay off the total each month. At least I've never known any other system.

Thanks for the explanations.

It may be the case that there are holds, but as my credit limit is pretty high I never realize it. Also it's normal (I think) to pay off the total each month. At least I've never known any other system.

Thanks for the explanations.

In the US, many don’t pay their cards off each month. Hence why many people complain about credit card debt.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/money/4607838/household-credit-card-debt

I do, and many do, but many also do not. Per this article, the average household in the US had $16,000 in credit card debt in 2016. No idea how accurate this stuff is. But I know many people that have built up high amounts of credit card debt that they had trouble paying off.

In the US, many don’t pay their cards off each month. Hence why many people complain about credit card debt.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/money/4607838/household-credit-card-debt

I do, and many do, but many also do not. Per this article, the average household in the US had $16,000 in credit card debt in 2016. No idea how accurate this stuff is. But I know many people that have built up high amounts of credit card debt that they had trouble paying off.

YIKES!! That’s a lot of money. And I believe the interest rate is astronomical too.

Capital One says they do not put on holds CCL does. they have no control what CCL charges. As George Clooney said in the movie Up In The Air "it's all about the mileage. We use credit cards for everything. We did get scammed one time in Italy. Capital One was awesome, they removed all charges and Fedexed me a new card in 24 hours.

Capital One says they do not put on holds CCL does. they have no control what CCL charges. As George Clooney said in the movie Up In The Air "it's all about the mileage. We use credit cards for everything. We did get scammed one time in Italy. Capital One was awesome, they removed all charges and Fedexed me a new card in 24 hours.

What does that mean ... you got "scammed" one time ...

Do you mean your card info. was stolen and you had fraudulent charges on your account?

I was in Italy and got a text from Capital One asking if I knew of a $400 charge in Paris, it said click here if you do not recognize the charge. I received a call from Capital One within a minute. They dropped the charge and Fedex me a new card in 24 hours. They have an outstanding fraud department.

Edited by coevan

I was in Italy and got a text from Capital One asking if I knew of a $400 charge in Paris, it said click here if you do not recognize the charge. I received a call from Capital One within a minute. They dropped the charge and Fedex me a new card in 24 hours. They have an outstanding fraud department.

That happened to me when I was at home. I was getting ready for bed and got a notification from Cap One for a Walmart online purchase to the tune of several hundred dollars. I called, they shut down my account and got a new card in 2 days. Only thing I don’t like is my new one has an RFID chip. I’m going to have them send me the old style kind.

The guy recommended turning my card off if I’m not using it. That won’t work if you have recurring payments which at that time I didn’t because I had a different card I was using to hit a sign on bonus. But that is good advice for cards that you may not be using on a regular basis.