Port of Falmouth

Frenchymp

as much as I hate to recommend it

Margaritaville looked very nice and is 'inside the fence' ... there's enuf nice shopping inside the port area to keep you busy for an hour or more .... we walked around the shops for more than an hour and spent nothing then returned to the ship and enjoyed the relative emptiness. Since we had a drink package saw no need to go to M'ville and pay for what we'd already paid for a few steps away.

Our table mates ventured out the gates by foot and did not get very far b4 returning to the ship! Falmouth is NOT one of the larger tourist destinations in JA. The port was recently and specially built to accommodate today's larger ships; too large for the facilities at OCHO which is why you see so many excursions from F go to O .... OCHO has the attractions but limited pier space.

as much as I hate to recommend it

Margaritaville looked very nice and is 'inside the fence' ... there's enuf nice shopping inside the port area to keep you busy for an hour or more .... we walked around the shops for more than an hour and spent nothing then returned to the ship and enjoyed the relative emptiness. Since we had a drink package saw no need to go to M'ville and pay for what we'd already paid for a few steps away.

Our table mates ventured out the gates by foot and did not get very far b4 returning to the ship! Falmouth is NOT one of the larger tourist destinations in JA. The port was recently and specially built to accommodate today's larger ships; too large for the facilities at OCHO which is why you see so many excursions from F go to O .... OCHO has the attractions but limited pier space.

I totally agree with CaptBJ. We were there last April on the Allure, there was a Disney ship there also. The stupidest thing we did was wander past the port gates...it's not the best area. IF you do go on an excursion I highly recommend one through the cruise line even tho it will be "more expensive". When we were planning, i looked at tripadvisor and there were horror stories about taxis NOT returning to pick up people that dropped off at beaches...so we decided to skip an excursion at this port. 4 of us wandered out past the gate that had armed security on the ship side and 100s of locals waiting for you to cross the street on the other. Needless to say we turned around after a block and went back inside the gate to Margaritaville. The pool is nice, the seating is ample and if we ever go back we will probably just stay at the port.

Now, there's TONS of people who will disagree with me, and TONS of people who have booked private excursions and have never had an issue, so good for them. This is just my opinion, especially if this is your first time to Falmouth.

I totally agree with CaptBJ. We were there last April on the Allure, there was a Disney ship there also. The stupidest thing we did was wander past the port gates...it's not the best area. IF you do go on an excursion I highly recommend one through the cruise line even tho it will be "more expensive". When we were planning, i looked at tripadvisor and there were horror stories about taxis NOT returning to pick up people that dropped off at beaches...so we decided to skip an excursion at this port. 4 of us wandered out past the gate that had armed security on the ship side and 100s of locals waiting for you to cross the street on the other. Needless to say we turned around after a block and went back inside the gate to Margaritaville. The pool is nice, the seating is ample and if we ever go back we will probably just stay at the port.

Now, there's TONS of people who will disagree with me, and TONS of people who have booked private excursions and have never had an issue, so good for them. This is just my opinion, especially if this is your first time to Falmouth.

I have been on several cruise stops in Jamaica (including Falmouth where we took an independent excursion), as well as land vacations to Jamaica and have never experienced a more hospitable and loving people. Just like anywhere, you have to be cognizant of your surroundings but if you hire a well reputed guide they will take care of you.

Last year cruisers were horrifically killed in the Fort Lauderdale airport; but are cruisers going to stop flying there? Everyone has a right to their opinion, I just wanted to let my positive experience in Jamaica be known.

I have been on several cruise stops in Jamaica (including Falmouth where we took an independent excursion), as well as land vacations to Jamaica and have never experienced a more hospitable and loving people. Just like anywhere, you have to be cognizant of your surroundings but if you hire a well reputed guide they will take care of you.

Last year cruisers were horrifically killed in the Fort Lauderdale airport; but are cruisers going to stop flying there? Everyone has a right to their opinion, I just wanted to let my positive experience in Jamaica be known.

Your opinion is heard, however I still stand by mine. Happy cruising

As a same sex couple, is it safe to get off the ship at all? We aren’t public display of affection types, but Jamaica’s reputation for really disliking gay people makes us nervous

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As a same sex couple, is it safe to get off the ship at all? We aren’t public display of affection types, but Jamaica’s reputation for really disliking gay people makes us nervous

Falmouth isn’t the prettiest town to look at, but it’s relatively safe. Just stick to the main roads - plenty of police presence all around town. That being said, in your situation I would probably stay inside the gates.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone ventured out of the port to Doc's Place or Juci Patties? Wanted a taste of Jamaican food (patties or jerk), Thoughts?

Just did 3 weeks ago and went to Juci - no issues. Plenty of people walking around, lots of police presence. Got offered weed a beer a few times, politely said “no thanks” and kept walking. Never felt unsafe. Had cheese bread and a couple of patties for like $3 total.

I will say we have eaten at Juci several times yet we both prefer the flavor of the patties sold at the kiosk inside the gate. They’re $3 each.

Any free wifi in the port area? We go next month and, like another poster mentioned, decided against doing Margaritaville because we have a drink package. We will just stay on the ship. But if there is free wifi, I may get off and look at what is for sale for an hour or so.

Just did 3 weeks ago and went to Juci - no issues. Plenty of people walking around, lots of police presence. Got offered weed a beer a few times, politely said “no thanks” and kept walking. Never felt unsafe. Had cheese bread and a couple of patties for like $3 total.

I will say we have eaten at Juci several times yet we both prefer the flavor of the patties sold at the kiosk inside the gate. They’re $3 each.

How long was the walk to Juci's?

I'm trying to figure out whether to go to Juci's which I believe is outside the gated area or stay inside the gate and try the patties there. Is the kiosk near the gate or are they scattered around the shopping area inside the gates? We are going to be there in a couple of weeks and want some local cuisine.

I'm trying to figure out whether to go to Juci's which I believe is outside the gated area or stay inside the gate and try the patties there. Is the kiosk near the gate or are they scattered around the shopping area inside the gates? We are going to be there in a couple of weeks and want some local cuisine.

Not trying to hijack but are you on the 3/5 sailing?

I have to agree with MikeBTN. The patties inside the port are pretty good ($3 each). The food and drink stands are near Margaritaville in the center of the port area.