(Slightly less so) Cheapo dad's trip report on Independence of the Seas

The insurance money will partially help rebuild some of the place as we all know insurance won't be able to restore you to be 100% whole prior to any disaster. Some of the damage payments will have to come out of their personal savings.

Another issue is if their main livelihood is offline, they have no current income so it's a double whammy to not have regular cash inflow as well as having to pay out of pocket to restore the store/home to the way it was.

Sadly, that's all too true.

Heather

Great review! I haven't gone through all of it yet, but I wanted to ask you this...what are you using as a host for your photos? I haven't gotten myself to cough up the money Photobucket wants me to pay and I'm looking for a simple way to post pictures. I apologize if this has been answered already and I missed it.

Great review! I haven't gone through all of it yet, but I wanted to ask you this...what are you using as a host for your photos? I haven't gotten myself to cough up the money Photobucket wants me to pay and I'm looking for a simple way to post pictures. I apologize if this has been answered already and I missed it.

Shutterfly here, others use FlickR. If you post using a smartphone app, the photo hosting is done automatically.

Hi, Laurie,

Thanks for the compliment. I use a mix of Flickr and Shutterfly.

I started with Flickr years ago when I did my first Allure trip report as Photobucket wanted to charge me a fee. Cheapo dad run away from the words “added fee”.

But Flickr is a lot of work if you want to trim the link embedded so you can attach it to the post. Easier to explain with an example.

See this picture below? In order to post this picture, I have to “cut” some of the nonsensical words from the link that Flickr gives me. So I have to physically delete all the red letters such that only the info inside the 38711697774_ee14df0692_o.jpg[/url]20171223_123456 by [http://www.flickr.com/photos/abc243577877@N08/]HARRYFAT[/url], on Flickr

Not a big deal if you only post one or two pictures, but when someone like me who posts probably over 1,000 pictures in my overly long winded trip reviews, trimming these letter are mind numbing boring, even for bean counters.

When CC changed its web page layout format last year, I found out that I could just literally right click a picture in shutterfly and copy and paste onto here. Quicko pronto. Hallelujah!

Maybe it’s psychological, but somehow I think the picture is slightly better quality under Flickr than Shutterfly but don’t think most readers care or notice the difference. All the sample pictures in the beginning are from Flickr and the rest of the body is from Shutterfly.

One advantage Flickr has is that you can pick a size to embed into the post. Think they have like 10 different sizes to choose from.

Probably more detail than you care to know, but just in case someone else is considering between the two service providers…

(This is Flickr large)

38711697774_d22a59386f_k.jpg

(This is Flickr medium)

38711697774_ba32aaa78c_z.jpg

Harry,

Thanks for taking us with you on the Bernard'S Tour. We will be pulling into st. Maarten on Feb. 14th and I booked the same tour that you did. Excited to see the island.

You are welcome. Hopefully the info gives you an idea on to expect from his tour as we didn't know what to expect post hurricane damage.

Have a great cruise next month.

Ha, just noticed you are going there on Valentine's Day. Sounds like someone should make a stop at Diamonds International...:hearteyes:

So after we finally polished off all the food on the table and we look around and noticed a rare sight – there is NOBODY ELSE around us. So you get to see few special pictures of a totally empty seating area in WJ as the place closes down between 4 to 6. Obviously if you are inside and still eating, they don’t kick you out at 4 PM but they don’t let people come in after 4 so sooner or later, the place empties out as they prepare it for the 6 PM dinner crowd.

It’s a bit odd/creepy to see no one else around the typically busy bustling place and even the workers are few and far in between.

You see anyone around? Nope

enhance

NOBODY on this side either

enhance

Turn around and sees nobody there

enhance

Ahhh, finally ONE single worker around the whole section

enhance

Anyway, time to leave and go back to the cabin to shower and change. As I mentioned previously, today was the second of three formal nights. Bu seeing it was still somewhat early, we opted not to get dressed in the formal clothes yet as we wanted to see the sail away.

Did I take a picture of Monday? Don't remember. Take it anyway just to be sure

enhance

Oh, actually forgot to mention that we saw our window above the gangway as we walked back from the pier. You can see the window decoration

enhance

enhance

enhance

Since I forgot my camera, I had to reply heavily on the cell phone to take pictures. My battery level was around 10% by time we came back from lunch. Need to do a charge while we took showers.

Not sure, but this might have been the only picture I have of the table set up. Nothing new. Pretty much standard older RCI setup. The newer ships look much different.

With all the electronic equipment, the chargers are always in used day and night for either cell phones or cameras or tablets. Good thing we have 2 cabins with double number of sockets. So besides the benefits of 2 bathrooms, having the extra bedroom is good for electronic chargers as well.

enhance

FYI that Santa's present is still there UNOPENED at 4:45 PM. So technically we still don't know what's inside of it - of course, some people with no patience couldn't wait until the proper story line to develop...;p

enhance

enhance

You know I love the ship pictures, but this one made me think of Radio's recent live report, which made me think of you! Did you see where he posted a similar shot of Anthem's butt? When I saw that, I said to myself, "Oh Harry would like this picture ... it's big and round!" It's like one big CC family!

Changed my mind. THIS is your Christmas card next year, Harry! Beautiful water - and the ship - on Christmas Day! Ahhhh.... Great pictures of your whole tour!

Yeah, I like the color of this picture as well. Came directly off of the cell phone. Just amazing technology.

You know I love the ship pictures, but this one made me think of Radio's recent live report, which made me think of you! Did you see where he posted a similar shot of Anthem's butt? When I saw that, I said to myself, "Oh Harry would like this picture ... it's big and round!" It's like one big CC family!

Think it's a "guy's thing" on the baby got back...

Considering that is the FIRST thing you see when you walk the pier, how can you NOT take a picture of it?

enhance

Staring right at you...

enhance

Ahh, man, now you have me thinking the song in my head. OK, here's another version of the song from Jimmy Fallon of the Tonight Show and the barber shop quartet for people who likes old school music:

We'll see if BIBPHOTOGRAPHY is still around to see this to his wife.

Now if you want big ship butts, you must go to Oasis class ship for those buns, hon...

Double happiness here from our 2014 Allure cruise

enhance

Close up shot

enhance

Not as big as Allure but nice and round

enhance

And what's with the Princess ships' behind? Really?

enhance

Here's Harmony from the Freedom cruise:

enhance

Speaking of Freedom, of course we can't leave her out

enhance

Give me the wide angle shot to fit both of them in...

enhance

Viewed from higher perspective

enhance

I'm telling ya, if I cruise long enough with Royal and by time I reach Diamond level, I will have catalogue majority of the fleet's rear end. If anyone on CC needs a picture of a ship's behind, I will whip it out just like that.

NOBODY will beat me in this category by time I reach D+...

Harry,

Thanks for taking us with you on the Bernard'S Tour. We will be pulling into st. Maarten on Feb. 14th and I booked the same tour that you did. Excited to see the island.

I second your comment. We booked Bernards for our April trip. Looking forward to it and living through your report for now. Thanks

... Probably more detail than you care to know, but just in case someone else is considering between the two service providers. ...

Thanks much for the detail, excellent explanation and information.

Ahh, man, now you have me thinking the song in my head. OK, here's another version of the song from Jimmy Fallon of the Tonight Show and the barber shop quartet for people who likes old school music:

How have I not seen this Jimmy Fallon clip before? Awesome!

Thanks much for the detail, excellent explanation and information.

You’re welcome, Bob.

One additional comment on the Flickr link - Technically you don’t have to trim the URL link that Flickr gives you from the web page and you can just plop the whole thing into the post and the picture will wokr. But what happens is if you don’t trim it, the picture you upload becomes a clickable link when you move your mouse over the picture if you do a “preview” of your post.

If you actually do post that picture, whoever reads that post can click on the link and sees all your other pictures in Flickr. So it's like an invitation for the whole world to see what other pictures you have stored there.

I have seen that in quite a few trip reports by others. Guess if you don’t care if others see all your Flickr pictures, then it’s not an issue but I have other family pictures in the site so I rather not provide a live link so I trim my info when I use Flickr. Just a heads up for whoever else is looking into doing this.

How have I not seen this Jimmy Fallon clip before? Awesome!

I’m just a wealth of knowledge in all the useless info.

By time I am done with all my trip reports later on in life, I will probably provide links to all the Baby Got Back videos.

You’re welcome, Bob.

One additional comment on the Flickr link - Technically you don’t have to trim the URL link that Flickr gives you from the web page and you can just plop the whole thing into the post and the picture will wokr. But what happens is if you don’t trim it, the picture you upload becomes a clickable link when you move your mouse over the picture if you do a “preview” of your post.

If you actually do post that picture, whoever reads that post can click on the link and sees all your other pictures in Flickr. So it's like an invitation for the whole world to see what other pictures you have stored there.

I have seen that in quite a few trip reports by others. Guess if you don’t care if others see all your Flickr pictures, then it’s not an issue but I have other family pictures in the site so I rather not provide a live link so I trim my info when I use Flickr. Just a heads up for whoever else is looking into doing this.

Makes sense, I'd be truncating the link too.

So after uploading numerous cruise pics over the past weekend, my ADHD is setting in and it's time for some digression photos. Maybe this will appeal to the 3 people that likes rocks...

These pictures were from our visit to Utah last summer

enhance

enhance

This is the famous Mesa Arch in Canyonlands National Park in Utah

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

So even though this is a US National Park, but because it's in the middle of nowhere, there is NO water for the bathrooms even at the main entrance. It's just a big hole for #1 and #2. All they have is "washy washy" santiziers in the bathroom. No water to flush or wash hands. Just had to take a picture of teh sign on the right...

enhance

(OK, where did we left off on the trip report before we were side tracked by ship butts and rocks? Oh, yeah, back at the cabin after the tour of St. Maartens)

As I mentioned previously, today was the second of three formal nights. Bu seeing it was still somewhat early, we opted not to get dressed in the formal clothes yet as we wanted to see the sail away. So after we showered and changed into just regular clothes, we went to top deck to see the sail away as it as close to 6 PM, the official sail away time.

This is the Marella ship next to us. Didn't know it had a Holland America pedigree in its prior service live.

enhance

enhance

enhance

We were over at the hills on the left earlier this afternoon taking a picture of the blue ocean

enhance

enhance