Cancellation charges

Harry Peterson

You might like to take a look at this:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47949915  and related news coverage.

A lack of awareness over how much can be retained when a traveller cancels a booking is widespread, according to the Competition and Markets Authority.

A company cannot automatically keep a large deposit if the customer cancels owing to unforeseen circumstances.

Such a contract may be unfair, even if written into terms and conditions.

For example, somebody may cancel a booking owing to illness or a family bereavement. If the travel company has plenty of time to re-sell the room or holiday, or if it becomes available at a peak time, then the company should refund the payment or a hefty deposit.

Any amount it charges should reflect its costs. If the company includes a blanket "non-refundable deposit" demand or cancellation fee in its terms and conditions then this could be an unfair contract, not legally binding, and unenforceable - even if the customer has signed it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mollym00 said:

No idea what they are re-selling it for, I can't quite bring myself to look!  Cruise RO13, forward balcony.

It's worth checking - post 27 above this might be relevant, and you might not even lose the deposit if it's being resold (and sells) for more than you paid, as is so often the case with early bookings.

We had to cancel recently and just lost the deposit.  I just rang up and they sent me a cancellation confirmation within minutes by email.  There were no extra charges.  However we very nearly came unstuck some time ago when we decided we couldn't risk going on a cruise for health reasons, and just assumed if we didnt pay the balance, we would lose only the deposit already paid then were horrified to discover in the nick of time once you're within the 90 days you are charged at the 50% deposit rate!  So important to get it right,  

Is the cancellation invoice just so you can show the insurance company you’ve cancelled so can claim off them?

I’m  sure they’re not asking for more money off you just showing they are taking your deposit money off you. 
Definitely query the amount if you think it’s wrong. 

We have just cancelled our cruise for 31 May as it is, or was £500 cheaper. The TA rebooked us the same cruise for the cheaper price. I had to send them a cancellation email and we have just got a letter in the post at the weekend confirming it. Our new booking came a couple of days before that. 

According to the cancellation letter we have only lost our deposits. No extra charges.

• Like 1