Disembarkation

ehough

We're hoping to book our flight soon from Chicago-Seattle for our Alaskan cruise. The problem is, it's much cheaper if we take the 12:39pm flight out of Seattle on the way back, than if we were to take a later flight.

If the ship is scheduled to get back to Seattle at 7am, do you think this will be enough time to catch at 12:39pm flight? I've read that the disembarkation goes in order of flight departure, but does that apply if we do not book our airfare through HAL?

Thanks for any help!

In my experience with SEA airport (in both cruise season and the wintertime), you would have about a 50/50 shot at it. If your ship docks on time, is cleared on time, and then you are one of the first few off the ship and through immigration without a huge line....you would probably be okay. In our experience, we docked in Seattle on time, left the ship as called about 9:45 a.m., but then had to hunt for our luggage in a huge mess, and wait in another 20-30 minute line for immigration/customs. After that, it was very easy to find a taxi, and we were at the airport within 20-30 minutes. However, the airport was the worst. We arrived at Sea-Tac at about 10:45-11:00, and did not get through security until almost 1pm. Yep, a 2 hour wait in the security check line. It was unreal. People were missing flights right and left - this also happened to hubby in January there. Luckily our flight wasn't until 3 pm, but others were not so fortunate. I would hope that they were just having a "bad" day, but it does not appear that way.

You might wait for some other responses from other SEA cruisers...maybe others have had better luck.

I seem to recall that there was a form that had to be turned in that detailed your transportation plans and they based your disembarkation based on that information. We were among the last off the world cruise as we had our own transportation and had no need to slow down those with flights to catch.

If they don't ask, just go to the front desk and tell them you have an early flight and request that they consider that in determining your disembarkation time.

Take a look at the cruiseline's flight time recommendation? I do believe you will be ok for a flight after noon. But I do suggest you take a cab rather than wait for HAL bus transfer. In the past I have hauled off my own bags and gotten off very early from ships.

Disembarkation numbers are assigned based upon your on-going travel plans. It does not matter if you have booked your own air or have air through HAL, your flight time will be the determination for the disembarkation number they give you.

When you get the form in your cabin to fill out for disembarkation, just put on it that your flight leaves at 11 AM. That way you are among the first to get off the ship. Do take a taxi - don't use HAL's bu shuttle. They wait until the bus is entirely filled up before they leave for the airport.

SEA-TAC - security can be a nightmare there. Even though we are ablt to go through the first-class security line, one time it wasn't open and we had to go through with everyone else. Another time they were allowing people from the regular line to use the first class line. Then one time we went right through - hardly a person around. You never can tell.

I don't agree 100% that taking a taxi is always faster than a HAL bus transfer. When we got off the Veendam last week the taxi line was at least a 45 min wait. I think you might be able to leave on a HAL bus sooner than that. Guess it depends on how many travelers plan on taking a taxi after disembarkation. Happy Sailing

You should be fine with a 1239 flight out of Sea-Tac! It doesn't matter if you have HAL air or your own. Just check the "I have independent travel plans" box on the disembarkation form you'll get in your cabin and fill out your airline, flight number and departure time. Have a great cruise!

As has been said earlier, your disembarkation time will be based on the information you give to HAL on the required form you will get early in the cruise. Shortly before debarkation you will recieve an envelope with colored tags for your luggage as well as a numbered embarkation card. Passengers disembark when their number is called. And by the way, the cards are collected as you leave the ship so that way a person with card #7 can't cut into the line. Numbers are called pretty much sequentially, though sometimes two or more numbers are called at the same time.

You did not say what level stateroom you will be in. If it is a full suite, one of the perks is disembarkation card #1. This does not mean that you must leave early, just that you can if you wish, or you may linger and leave later.

Archived