Velvet on the High Seas -- fantastic or faux pas?

Shelley9962

Shelley,

No need for apology. As a subject you're interested in, I don't think you should be repremanded for bringing it up. Yes, the "velvet in the caribbean" is an ongoing debate that pops up regularly here.

For those of us who've discussed it in the past, we can choose to give our opinions to the OP (original poster) or we can choose to ignore the thread.

Feel free to ask about any fashion/beauty topic you want to and don't worry if it's a topic that's been discussed before. Just like other sections of this forum talk about things like currency exchange, ATM's in foreign countries, ship's tour vs private guides, alcohol policy's - there are simply some topics that get asked about over and over by people who want the information. Those who have been here for a long time often have "here we go again" thoughts, but that's their "problem", not the OP's.

Thanks Jane I think that needed to be said, my sentiments exactly and very well stated also.

Sorry for bringing it up; I tried the search engine; unfortunately it is lousy.

Shelly, as Jane and MomofMeg so nicely pointed out, don't worry about your posting.

This board is split pretty evenly on most of the fashion issues: hose vs no hose, hose with open toed shoes, jeans, jeans in the dining room, pleated front pants, novelty sweaters, fur, etc.

Oh no!! I have to worry about hose too??? LOL

Thanks....

well, yeah!

and don't forget to worry about VPL, white underwear under white clothes, bra straps showing and non-pedicured feet.

You didn't think this board was only about velvet in the tropics, did you? LOL!

Silly you!;)

Jane

I got the pedicure today... and I have strapless bras in both black and white and various shades of other bras and panties...

but what is VPL???

There was a post here sometime ago that this woman said she saw a woman on formal night beautifully attired except the woman had on a white utility bra and because the back of this woman's gown was lower cut then the bra-the bra kept peeping out. The beautiful gown was ruined by the bra showing.

I know I forgot to pack my strapless bra one cruise-so the second formal night I just wore a dress and not the formal gown I intended-hubby said for me to "just skip the bra"-but as I am going south a little-not as bad as a lot of women but enough-there was NO WAY I would go braless. So I did not wear my nice gown.

It was no big deal on that cruise-as a lot of people dressed way too casual and I actually looked better in my dress which I had dressed up with nice jewlery then a lot of others did.

this just in...have just returned from 6 day W.Caribbean on RCI Jewel of the Seas...and the newsletter says "no tank tops, shorts or bare feet in the dining room" ---NO MENTION OF JEANS - I checked every day to make sure it wasn't an oversight...

I did not take a velvet survey as I was swooning in my stateroom over the jeans issue the entire 6 days...

this just in...have just returned from 6 day W.Caribbean on RCI Jewel of the Seas...and the newsletter says "no tank tops, shorts or bare feet in the dining room" ---NO MENTION OF JEANS - I checked every day to make sure it wasn't an oversight...

I did not take a velvet survey as I was swooning in my stateroom over the jeans issue the entire 6 days...

LOL!!! Thanks for the denim update!!

Hope you had a great time.

Jane

thanks, jane...we did ... as this was only 21 ds's 2nd cruise I was a tad anxious - he never got into it last time and spent most of his time running ...this time he hit the disco and made a ton of friends including a Sr. at his college (he's s Jr) - come in at 3:30 each night - plus got up for our excursions - divings, feeding the rays, touring the ruins, and Hemingway's house...dd did fine as usual so in all was a great trip - but :eek: :eek: :eek: now we're home and we are the staff! and it's Dec 24!!!

(glad for you the strike is over)

Yes I am noticing that it seems to be acceptable now on both Carnival and RCCL on casual nights. I read a post on another messageboard where this person kept telling his friend who took a cruise with him on Princess that he could not wear jeans to dinner. (this was the friend's first cruise) Well the guy called the dinningroom and asked the mait'rd if jeans were prohibited. He was told he would be allowed to wear jeans. But this man said on his previous Princess cruise 6 months earlier he saw people turned away for wearing jeans. He was not sure if the policy had changed or whether it depended on the ship.

Well I have seen myself things have relaxed a whole lot in the 7 years I have been cruising. I know my first cruise I wore a pair of white jeans boarding and had them on the first night-this was on the old Carnival Tropicale-I was very embarrassed when my waiter informed me that it was acceptable the first night as I may not have my bags but I could not wear jeans to dinner the rest of the cruise. I did not know the casual dresscode-and that cruise one night we did eat dinner in the lido restuarant as we had not brought enough things for casual night dinners. We had formal stuff we just did not know the casual dresscode. After we returned home I talked to friends who had went on the Fanasty the year before and they told me the same thing-they had not known and so they ended up ordering room service. This was back in 98.

I guess it is preferrable that the lines relax the code then to allow people to wear jeans when they say it is prohibited in their paperwork. I just don't like feeling being over dressed and out of place. (or under dressed and out of place for that matter) I am happy to comply with the dress code I just don't want to stick out as "differant".

I do feel still for formal nights people should make some effort though-to me people look just plain stupid coming in the dinningroom in their shorts and jeans on formal night-but maybe they don't mind looking out of place-to each his own I guess.

- but :eek: :eek: :eek: now we're home and we are the staff!

I know exactly what you mean. I hate that!

(where's that cappuccino I ordered from room service?)

Glad DS & DD had such great times!

Welcome home!

Jane

Back to the velvet issue. My daughter, late 40's, wore a gorgeous long black, clingy halter top velvet gown on a recent Celebrity cruise to the Caribbean. She received more compliments on her dress than ever before! She is a beautiful red head (used to be a model) and boy, did she turn heads that night! :D So, I would say that it would depend on the cut of the dress, the weight of the velvet, and how you carry yourself while wearing it.

Back to the velvet issue. My daughter, late 40's, wore a gorgeous long black, clingy halter top velvet gown on a recent Celebrity cruise to the Caribbean. She received more compliments on her dress than ever before! She is a beautiful red head (used to be a model) and boy, did she turn heads that night! :D So, I would say that it would depend on the cut of the dress, the weight of the velvet, and how you carry yourself while wearing it.

I think that if a woman has knock-out looks, she can wear a hefty bag and will get compliments on her outfit.

I think that if a woman has knock-out looks, she can wear a hefty bag and will get compliments on her outfit.

True but she also has to have the self confidence and self esteem-those women look good in anything-like Princess Diana always did-even in jeans and shorts or whatever-she always looked great.

But I have also seen women who would be beautiful-in expensive clothing-cut beautifully who would hunch thier shoulders and ruin their beautiful looks-so many tall women especially.

I just don't like feeling being over dressed and out of place. (or under dressed and out of place for that matter) I am happy to comply with the dress code I just don't want to stick out as "differant".

I do feel still for formal nights people should make some effort though-to me people look just plain stupid coming in the dinningroom in their shorts and jeans on formal night-but maybe they don't mind looking out of place-to each his own I guess.

This reminds me of what I just read about a woman ultra-marathon runner in Runner's World magazine. She goes everywhere in her running shorts, t-shirt and running shoes so she can take any opportunity to run when the spirit moves her. She says she just doesn't care what others think about how she looks.

At first I was surprised, but then I thought....how liberating!! If one can honestly say they do not care what others think about how they look, it would be a liberation from always having to be concerned about one's looks even when there is no need for concern.

My 86 year old mother is always concerned to excess, al;ways worried she doesn't look "good enough." My mother-in-law (RIP) would change outfits two or three times before going anywhere because she was never secure in what she wore. Comparing my mother in mother-in-law to the runner, I think the runner's attitude is the healthier one. We get only one life. Why waste it trying on outfit after outfit struggling to meet some external standard for our own appearance?

True but she also has to have the self confidence and self esteem-those women look good in anything-like Princess Diana always did-even in jeans and shorts or whatever-she always looked great.

Princess Di was a beautiful woman but if you looked at her earlier pictures before she got "style" she didn't look so hot. I also thought that the straight shift dresses that she was so fond of only exaggerated the fact that she had no waist.

As for velvet, I really think the main consideration is the style of the dress. If the dress shows lots of skin then I think it is just fine for the Caribbean or any other place for that matter.

Merry Christmas to one and all.

Princess Di was a beautiful woman but if you looked at her earlier pictures before she got "style" she didn't look so hot. I also thought that the straight shift dresses that she was so fond of only exaggerated the fact that she had no waist.

Merry Christmas to one and all.

I agree and as a young girl-she also did not have that confidence and it showed-but everyone loved her from the get go. I never thought her wedding gown did that much for her either-it was not attractive to me-and even the first few years of her marriage she did not seem that attractive.

As far as her having that "style" I read once that a lot of designers would give her stuff-she was such good advertisement for them that they made big bucks off others. I imagine too she would have had a good clothing allowance for all those formal appearances she made as Princess of Wales.

I liked her though in some of those later photos where we did not see her always so elaborately dressed-you know after she was no longer doing all those state appearances. That one photo when she was doing that charity about the mine fields-you know she was in a simple pair of khakis and a white oxford shirt-she looked just as "classy" there as she did in some of her beautiful gowns.

It was'nt that she had no waist-it was more she had no hips or much bust-Princess Di defiently did not have a Marilyn Monroe/hourglass figure-but to me she was much more beautiful in her own way.

This reminds me of what I just read about a woman ultra-marathon runner in Runner's World magazine. She goes everywhere in her running shorts, t-shirt and running shoes so she can take any opportunity to run when the spirit moves her. She says she just doesn't care what others think about how she looks.

At first I was surprised, but then I thought....how liberating!! If one can honestly say they do not care what others think about how they look, it would be a liberation from always having to be concerned about one's looks even when there is no need for concern.

My 86 year old mother is always concerned to excess, al;ways worried she doesn't look "good enough." My mother-in-law (RIP) would change outfits two or three times before going anywhere because she was never secure in what she wore. Comparing my mother in mother-in-law to the runner, I think the runner's attitude is the healthier one. We get only one life. Why waste it trying on outfit after outfit struggling to meet some external standard for our own appearance?

Well I have never been one to change outfits several times because of being unsure of how I looked-I have never wanted to be gorgeous or the center of attention-the only time I have ever changed clothes becuase of the way something "looked" would be because of that time of the month when retaining fluid made something that normally looked nice not look nice-(that is no longer a worry for me as I went through menopause 3 years ago.)

I just want to be decently and properly attired for the occassion-that's all. And it does seem because more and more people are now "dressing down" that I find myself over dressed.

But I have also seen women who would be beautiful-in expensive clothing-cut beautifully who would hunch thier shoulders and ruin their beautiful looks-so many tall women especially.

You missed my point.

Char said her gorgeous daughter wore velvet and got lots of compliments.

My point was that her drop dead gorgeous daughter got compliments because of her knock out looks and was wearing a skimpy and clingy halter top, not because people liked or didn't like the velvet.

?

I can honestly say that I don't care what others think of what I am wearing because I do know I am always appropriate.

You missed my point.

Char said her gorgeous daughter wore velvet and got lots of compliments.

My point was that her drop dead gorgeous daughter got compliments because of her knock out looks and was wearing a skimpy and clingy halter top, not because people liked or didn't like the velvet.

Jane I did not miss your point-it was very valid-I was just adding to it-you know the other side of the coin-very beautiful women or who should be very beautiful-who could not carry it off-as they did not carry themselves well. I used Princess Diana as an example- because as the other person pointed out-she was not so beautiful as a young woman but she became beautiful.

We see that alot don't we? Young women who should be beautiful that aren't because of lack of self esteem and bad choices in clothing but later on these women become "knock outs" because they learn to dress becomingly for themselves and forget the latest fads- they also learn self confidence-which also makes them beautiful.

From your posts and tastes in clothing I would think you too would look beautiful in no matter what you wore. I know you and I often do not agree on things-but I do know you know fashion and more then that you know good taste.

I can honestly say that I don't care what others think of what I am wearing because I do know I am always appropriate.

I just reread the above statement and I did not mean for it to come across as smug as it does.

Let me try and rephrase. I dress for myself. I love fashion. I also dress other people and they pay me for that service. I am confident enough in what I wear that I don't worry about what other people think of what I'm wearing. Seeing what my service has done to help build the confidence of others has been a heartwarming experience.

One of my gay clients told me I changed his life:) .

Jane I did not miss your point-it was very valid-I was just adding to it-

Ahhh........okay. I understand now. Thanks for clarifying.

From your posts and tastes in clothing I would think you too would look beautiful in no matter what you wore. I know you and I often do not agree on things-but I do know you know fashion and more then that you know good taste.

Well, I don't know how good I look, but thanks for the compliment. But I do know the fashion biz and think I have a good "eye" when it comes to picking out things for others - more so than for myself.

Jane

I just reread the above statement and I did not mean for it to come across as smug as it does.

Let me try and rephrase. I dress for myself. I love fashion....................

I am confident enough in what I wear that I don't worry about what other people think of what I'm wearing.

Blue Herons,

I didn't think the first post was smug at all.

I agree with your sentiments. I also love fashion and dress for myself and DH. I don't worry about what others will think as I'm always dressed appropriately whether someone likes my fashion choices or not. They might not like my outfit - it may not be their style - but no one could ever accuse me of bring inappropriately dressed.

Archived