Princess vs Holland America

MsSoCalCruiser

We do both HAL and Princess (along with Celebrity and RCI) and choose by itinerary first, followed by price, timing, and ship. For a port intensive cruise I wouldn’t hesitate to book HAL. We did a 12 night Med cruise on the Westerdam last year and had a fantastic time. We’re in our mid-50s, and thought the demographic was probably 50s-70s with the vast majority being active 60-somethings. The food was very good, our cabin was comfortable, and most importantly the port times were long with two overnights. For evening entertainment they had a terrific dueling piano bar that was packed every night. To be honest, with only one sea day we were in bed pretty early ourselves![emoji15]

I like Princess’ ships better, but wouldn’t choose Princess over HAL solely for the ship. I think both Princess and HAL have great longer itineraries in Europe and their Alaska cruises can’t be beat. In the Caribbean I prefer Celebrity for their (almost always) included beverage package and great specialty dining.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you all for your replies. I will make sure to report after my HAL cruise. I will be cruising with my adult child so it will be perfect no matter what. It sounds like there will be plenty to keep us busy but if not we are perfectly fine with Eat, Read, Nap, and Repeat. :'):'):')

I have heard from several PAXs on our recent 15 day Hawaii cruise on the Grand, who have sailed on both Princess and HAL, that the demographics on HAL.is skewed toward older PAXs. Like most are 70’s to 80’+. Saw HAL PAX’s sound a sleep in the public areas in the daytime! Picture PAXs snoring with mouths wide open. :eek::D

Some likened HAL to a “floating nursing home.” Full of old people with mobility scooters, and walkers. Very quiet public areas after dinner. Bars and entertainment shuts down early. YMMV, but if you’re elderly, you might will fit in just fine ;)

Good luck, and hope you enjoy your cruise on HAL.

Thank you for your reply.

Some of my friends are in their 70s and 80s; there is nothing wrong with that. I am much younger than that but I have almost died twice. I hope that I live that long and that I'm still well enough to cruise. I love talking to elderly people and hearing their stories. Age is just a number.

• 2 weeks later...

Most interesting encounter with a 90 yr old lady in Alaska who purposely sat with younger people in order to avoid her complaint son in law....she was so open and fun to be around. Some older people are downers, others are walking history and have never lost the wonder of life. We all get older one day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Love this thread, as we are considering HAL, their new build, for a port intensive Med. cruise.

For this itinerary in the Med... I think it is a good option. Will just have to deal with the numbers of ancient people with walkers and scooters and passed out snoring on decks, etc...

Their music row on the newer ships, with B.B.Kings, Lincoln Center Stage, Billboard, etc... does cover some of the music and entertainment issues. But, from videos I am seeing... it seems that their wonderful and unique state of the art Theater-In-The round is a terribly underused and underwhelming use of space and money, when one looks at the high-school level musicals and other offerings. NOTE: Just me... but I am not a big fan of the theater in the round concept anyhow.... I want the show in front of me, and most other guests behind me.

The one thing I can say is, their web-site is HORRID....

I can find out more here on the Princess forum than I can on their own web-site.

it is a huge problem.

When there is such a lack of disclosure and information, that offends me.

Second...

Even many HAL cheerleaders are upset with their new promotion and booking practices.

Seriously.... TOTAL prepayment, NON-refundable.... even a year out. for a 'supposedly' great fare.

Of course, if you want to know other fare options, you guessed it, they are not disclosed/displayed... you have to call and hope to actually get a rep who is helpful.

Wow.....

Edited by Wishing on a star

• 1 year later...

Comparing similar HAL and Princess cruises.  April 2018, I took HAL Koningsdam from FLL to Rome 14 nights.  April 2019 I am currently cruising Princess on the Regal Princess from FLL to Copenhagen 15 nights.  Both very similar in price.  My HAL veranda suite was a bit smaller than Princess mini suite.  However, I did enjoy larger glass doored shower on HAL  My Princess tub is slippery and dark with full curtain closed ... use the bath mat.

Food is similar.  HAL has a Cabana Retreat area for rent by the day or full cruise at less than half price discount.  I took the full cruise discount, had my own personal cabana, food delivered to me anytime, champagne in the afternoon (nice since I didn’t get the premium drink pkg which saved me a ton of $$$).  

I purchased The Sanctuary full cruise on Princess... only get a nice lounge chair (not private cabana).  Since I opted for $1,000 plus Princess premium drink pkg. and more expensive Sanctuary dedicated lounge chair.... I must admit that Princess is costing me twice as much as HAL and I enjoyed The Retreat on HAL Koningsdam way more than anything I have ever done on any cruise.

I think the cruisers are similar in age; however, the HAL cruise had 10 times as many handicapped cruisers in scooters and motorized wheelchairs.  Several more single cruisers also on HAL, but I’m only comparing 2 similar transatlantic crossings.  

So I guess next year I will try Oceania because I just love that cruise line.   Only did 10 day cruises with Oceania, but their laidback business casual dress appeals to me and the food is fantastic. Thanks Oceania for being first class in Cruise value of ‘You get what you pay for’ terms of value.

Just my individual opinion, use whatever suits your taste.  Just enjoy life every day, no matter where in the world you are.

I agree with msfreqflyr.  We also usually do HAL but went on Regal Princess with almost the same Caribbean itinerary as we took on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam a year apart.  I thought our aft veranda on HAL was more spacious than our Princess mini suite.  The Princess Regal ship was large in comparison to our ship on HAL.  The HAL itinerary of Aruba and Amber Cove was in my opinion a better choice than Princess ports of Martinique and Grenada.  Our Princess Cruise cost us more and we paid for the Sanctuary for the week as the regular pool was very busy and crowded.  It was $300 pp. just to ensure a deck chair each day and no crowds.  But no pool.  One had to leave the area to go to a small pool adjacent to the Sanctuary.  It was hot and there was no shade.  They did however offer a nice afternoon tea at 3pm.  We never experienced a problem with getting a lounge chair near the pool on HAL.  Same scooters and older crowd on Princess same as HAL.  Better food selection and quality on HAL in our opinion.  Room service included on HAL.  I was charged $2 for coffee service delivered to room each day I ordered while on Princess.   We noticed some hidden charges on Princess that on HAL are included in the cruise fare.  Entertainment was comparable.  We are trying for the first time Oceania in two weeks for a Mediterranean cruise and looking forward to it.  Will most likely not do Princess again.  We will stay with HAL or Oceania if this upcoming cruise goes well.

We are Elite on Princess and 3 Star on HAL so lots of experience on both.

Our true love is Princess.  Some of the things that we love are not available on HAL and include the amazing IC in the Atrium.  Love having an early morning coffee and pastry there (does get too crowded later in the day).  Free internet after a number of sailings is wonderful and is not offered by HAL at any level.  Shows are better on Princess and there are more activities in general.

We do enjoy HAL's America Test Kitchen and they have wonderful, informative lectures on the ports.  For that reason I prefer HAL  for longer itineraries that visit more exotic ports.

I personally much prefer the food on Princess in the MDR but HAL has a better buffet set up and better choice.

We will sail most lines (not Carnival) if the itinerary and price appeal but sailing Princess is like coming home.

There is much to enjoy on either line.  Have fun!