Are these dresses too formal for Elegant Night?

gardn198

For a decent tux, check out Men's Wearhouse. Excluding shoes, you can walk out with everything you need for about $400-$500 and it will serve you well for many many years. Trust me: a cheap tux looks like a cheap tux.

I think I paid less than $150 at Penney's.

And I would guess any night is a good night to wear the "dangerous little black dress" to dinner and parties on the ship!

I think I paid less than $150 at Penney's.

And I would guess any night is a good night to wear the "dangerous little black dress" to dinner and parties on the ship!

If that $150 was recently, you may want to try to not have it dry-cleaned too often.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was told one night is floor length and one night is short?? Is that not the case?

It does seem that the first elegant night you will see more formal dress than the second. I'm in agreement with the others who say to wear your lovely dresses and enjoy yourself.

You wear what you feel comfortable in. I think the red dress is beautiful on you. I have dressed very formally before. If others didn’t dress as formal as I did it was, oh well I like how I feel and look. Personally, I would rather be overdressed than underdressed but that’s just me.

I really like the black one. Neither are too formal. I love dressing up for formal night too. On our last Carnival cruise we actually had the pleasure of watching two guys in tshirts, cutoff jean shorts, and flip flops get booted out of the MDR on formal night by the maitre d'. It was epic. Enjoy your cruise!

Okay I'm wearing the gowns then - I love dressing up! I actually wear less formal dresses every night for dinner anyways. My friends and I like to pretend we're on Titanic :-D

I say, wear what makes you feel beautiful!! I am also wearing a long gown. I love dressing up too!! By the way, are you a Spartan as in Go Green, Go White?

I'm taking two suits on my upcoming cruise in April. Sure, there might be some people who don't dress up but I could careless about them. Should they be allowed in MDR, of course not but I don't make the rules or enforce them. My group of people will be dressing up for the elegant nights and we will have a most glorious time. The ladies will chat over some tea while the men go smoke cigars and drink brandy in the parlor.

Dress up however much YOU want. We (family of 4.....including older teens/young adults). enjoy dressing up every night. My daughter wore homecoming & cocktail dresses each night, with more bling on formal night. I wear nice dress capri pants with fancy tops on regular nights and fancier cocktail dresses on formal night. I also have a pair of chiffon pants and a bling covered top to match that I love on formal night too. My husband wears dress pants or kahki's, shirt & tie or polo on regular nights and a suit on formal night. Same for my now 25 yr old son. Lots of people do not dress up, to each his own.

I have not had a change to read any of your postings, but this is just MY opinion. :)

I am an older lady, although most people think/believe that I am 10 years younger than what I am, by the way I dress/act/look.

I saw the two pictures of the dresses, and they look fine to me.

I have done many cruises, and I like to "dress up", and especially on formal night. We normally eat in the MDR. I feel (this is MY thinking) since I have someone waiting on me, nice tablecloth, glasses, dishes, I want to look good at the table as well, so I normally dress nice for dinner. As for anyone else that is at the table with me, I have no problem with how they dress, as that is THEIR choice. I will say, I have had many "strangers" on the ship stop and tell me how nice they think I look. To me, that just makes me want to dress UP even more. I know it takes WORK to dress up, and most people do not want to do that.

Now when I am not at dinner at nighttime, I then dress very casual like everyone else.

We dress up every cruise. My husband and son wear tuxedos and my father in law used to before he died. When we have seven day cruises we usually dress up formal the first night and take family pictures that we use to get a canvas. We have a lot of canvasses now and still plan on more. This has become our yearly family photo. When we cruise with other family members and friends they usually bring a cocktail dress or sometimes some more dressy. Depends on what you prefer. Most of our cruises are out of Galveston so we drive so packing is not an issue but we have also flown to cruise ports and still lacked our formal wear. We have not missed a formal night at least once on all of our cruises.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Both of your dresses are lovely and definitely appropriate. You’ll see many people dressed up just as much as you are. My daughter is in her early 20s and she always wears a nice gown like that and receives compliments on them. I hope you have a fantastic time!

They are both very pretty and you should wear them if you want! On my last cruise I wore a long gown first formal night and cocktail dresses or maxi dresses on the other nights. My daughter and I planning on dressing up every night again on our cruise in February. It's fun and we never get the chance to get that dressy here in Vermont ;)