Water on ships: Do you drink it from the tap?

Crazy Cruzer

Water: Do you drink it from the ships' tap?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Water: Do you drink it from the ships' tap?

• I’ve always found the water to be clear and pure on past X cruises.
    • The water looked a little off on my past X cruise, but was acceptable.
    • I had a problem with the color, taste or smell of the tap water on a past X cruise.
    • I’ll drink tap water on an X ship every chance I can get – so why pay for bottled water
    • I prefer bottled water to tap all the time anyways, even off the ship.
    • I’ll drink bottled water but will use tap water for brushing teeth and such.
    • Drink it! I don’t even want to take a shower in it! Yuck!

There have been posts extolling how clean and pure the tap water on X's ships is, and other posts with horror stories about the muck which came from the faucets of some of our favorite ships. What is your take?

Vote twice! There are two types of questions here, so first tell us if you've had problems, and then if you'll drink it next cruise. And leave a comment about your opinion and experience.

On our Summit Alaska cruise I noticed that in every port where we docked(not tendered) the potable water hose was immediately hooked up and removed just prior to sailing, the water on the ship probably came from Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway municipal water systems. It is expensive to make water on the ship. Potable water hoses are blue or have blue fittings. However, on a Princess cruise to Panama canal, never saw the water line hooked up in ports so maybe they don't load water in foreign ports.

Just came back from the Summit doing the Panama Canal itinerary. I would not hesitate to drink water out of the tap and I did, although sparingly. The problem was that the water was not cold. In fact it was almost hot! It was ok to take medication, but not to drink a refreshing glass of water.

The blue drinking water on the Millennium is sea water boiled (desalinized) and is great to drink. A few chemicals are added for killing bacteria but that is by law I think, ie chlorine...

I drink the water from the tap and have never gotten sick. The watered down ice is also great to drink and its from the same sea water..

Don

Just came back from the Summit doing the Panama Canal itinerary. I would not hesitate to drink water out of the tap and I did, although sparingly. The problem was that the water was not cold. In fact it was almost hot! It was ok to take medication, but not to drink a refreshing glass of water.

That's why I insist on only one thing from my cabin steward -- that he keep the ice bucket filled!!

We have great municipal water in my hometown, and yet some people still insist on buying bottled water. I don't understand the need.

love

joan

... to us, anyway. We drink lots of ice water from the room pitcher and also the ice water in the restaurant. Here at home in the NW, we filter our water in a Brita pitcher, though the unfiltered version is still vastly better than the Southern California and Nevada yuckiness we endured before that! Glad the ship water is tasty, as short of bringing our own onboard, we'd be a bit thirsty -- the noncarbonated water sold on our X cruises so far has always been Evian, which tastes to me like warm spit ... ewww. (The mineral mix in Dasani or Aquafina hits our palates better.) But whatever works for you! -- TR

If you check, I believe you will find that Dasani and Aquafina are merely refined municipal tap water. I really find it silly to pay the high rates that the bottlers charge for water that frequently is the equivalent of what comes from my own tap.:)

On my May 05 trip I took a private tour on deck -4 on the Millennium and saw the distillery area,,, WOW, talk about big tanks and boilers,, you d have to see it to believe it. They do add chemicals to the water unlike real distilled water in the store.

I have a few pics of the area on my website pics..

idssms

On my May 05 trip I took a private tour on deck -4 on the Millennium and saw the distillery area,,, WOW, talk about big tanks and boilers,, you d have to see it to believe it. They do add chemicals to the water unlike real distilled water in the store.

I have a few pics of the area on my website pics..

idssms

Hi,

Chaulk us up as ones who use only the water available in the chromed pitcher, chilled with ice from the ice bucket. I have used the tap water (at night) for medications, but always found it too warm for palatability.

Our stewards have always been gracious to keep the ice refreshed.

CM

Hi,

Chaulk us up as ones who use only the water available in the chromed pitcher, chilled with ice from the ice bucket. I have used the tap water (at night) for medications, but always found it too warm for palatability.

Our stewards have always been gracious to keep the ice refreshed.

CM

I still get a chuckle out of the folks who want to know why the water from the "cold" tap in their staterooms isn't "cold" like it is at home. You'd think that they believed their municipal water department was refrigerating it for them.:p

When on a cruise, I always bring bottled water with me, but I don't necessarily limit myself to just bottled water. If I happen to run out, I switch to tap water without hesitation. I've never had a problem with the taste of tap water aboard a ship. By the way, I only drink bottled water at home.

Archived