RCCL- No more FODs??

Bayotter

I just returned from 10 days on Dawn Princess. While the cruise staff was very accommodating, scheduling two FOD gatherings and putting them in the Patter without anyone asking for them, there were some passengers that were less than so. I can imagine the cruise line can't win - they alienate us one way, the less enlightened another - and unfortunately we all have the money they want.

That being said, it still seems to be the Cruise Director’s personal choice (no pun intended) as to whether or not the FOD gatherings are permitted and excuses about company policy as a back up to that decision abound. I think for the most part, Princess will grant the request for an FOD party, although some of their long-time Cruise Directors will be less likely to be accommodating.

Having done both Rccl and X, We absolutly LOVE X and just as strongly dislike RCCL. Not only were they not "family" friendly, but the service stunk too.

Our last cruise was a 10 day on Mercury for our birthdays' and my DP and I were at a large table consisting of 3 straight couples from the UK. I never have a problem meeting new people and striking up a conversation but DP is shy and doesn't want to cause or have any problems with having comments made about us. They were the most charming, warm and kindhearted people I have ever met. On DH b-day, they got him a card and a balloon and they did the same for me. They also bought us a bottle of wine for dinner and we just got Xmas cards from them all last week. We also met a great couple on that cruise who we are cruising again with this January. THey are just the greatest too ( Laura and John). All our other X cruises were just the same and we have all kept in touch as well.

IMHO, I just think it's the class of people on the different lines. X has a more sophisticated clientel and RCCL is one step ahead of Carnival IMHO of course.

X and RCCL may be the same company, but they are worlds apart in their approach and additudes.

Have a Merry Xmas all

Jeff

Just a thought........so many posts concerning the "Cruise Director" was involved with the decision to host or not to host........well this person is not in the seat of power on the ship.

I have always been told the most important person on the ship (minus the Captain) is the Hotel director. The HD rules the public rooms and the staff that manages the facilities and crew such as the Food and Beverage Manager.

Whenever I have had an issue on a ship, it is the Hotel manager that has come to my assistance. The CD to me is an entertainer.....and does not have the decision making authority over the day to day operations on the ship.

My suggestion to those that desire a FOD announcement is to stop by the Hotel Managers Office (which is always easily found close to reception), introduce yourselves and express your desires not in a demand, but in a kind way. If you have history on that line......maybe mention you experienced a FOD gathering on another ship and would like to experience the same on this voyage. I have never gotten an attitude from the big guy whereas the CD can be an ego maniac who thinks he or she rules the vessel.

Its just a thought, but when it comes to decisions or corrective action, the Hotel Manager has always come through for me.

Happy Holidays.

Tom

I'm with Rotterdam on this one. While I did enjoy the Dawn and am going again in 11 days, I liked the fact that they put the FOD gathering in the daily every one of the 10 days. I don't understand why other lines can't do the same thing as NCL. It cost the line nothing. They merely listed the gathering for a specific time in a specific bar. No rooms were reserved, food provided or Officers required (though some of them would have been more than welcome!). They get an "A" for effort.

I agree that it is annoying to have a room or lounge blocked off for a specific group. But NCL seems to have a good solution. The bar is open to the entire ship. It is just a nice way for people to meet up if gaydar fails. We met several people and enjoyed the trip. I believe they also had gatherings on the Dawn for singles, firemen/policemen and cigar smokers (how do I get invited to those groups!!!).

There were Fireman / Policemen gatherings - my partner attended it - only 3 guys showed up. For the life of me I cannot see when they post a meet for all grandparents to show off/ brag about their grand kids???? But a FOD is a revenue booster( we tend to cocktail at all hours of the day). & the jokes are better! All were welcome& no roped off area in view - so all join in!

We usually do not attend the FOD's but I believe them a good service for those passengers that want to meet others....the ships ae bigger these days & altho there may be more FODs onboard, meeting them is lesss likely.

Years ago the ships were smaller & fewer passengers - all one had to do was go to the nicest bar & look for the best dressed men.....

Seems RCCL has a track record - hit em where it hurts!( I won't sail them again for many reasons - this being #1).

This is a very interesting thread to me because Royal Carib used to be one of the most accomodating lines when it came to FODs. But when I requested one in late September '05, you would've thought I'd insulted the CD. And on my last Royal Carib cruise (11/05), there wasn't an FOD either. Even though we were with corporate Royal Carib employees who are 'family'!

Lately, it seems that when we are 'granted' an FOD, it's planned at an inopportune time (10 p.m. the last night!?) or in conflict with other desirable events. This doesn't have the ring of 'coincidence' to me having been through the same experience in September.

Have others experienced a less friendly attitude cropping up in the last six months or so? Or is this just coincidence? I know that the company has a new President. Could they have a new view of courting our business as well or is this just paranoia run rampant?

Hi...

I was on the Radisson Voyager (along with Whalebone and other CC'ers) and was one who was surprised by the FOD "invitation" for the last night of the cruise. I don't think I "complained" to anyone, but remember voicing surprise at Radisson's last-minute inclusion.

Personally, I spent a lot of time with friends (having met onboard), and didn't ever feel the "need" for an FOD gathering, but I thought it was odd that such an invitation would be listed for the last evening of the cruise. I have no idea if it were "requested" by a cruiser or not.

I had a wonderful cruise, and enjoyed the personnel, the ship, and interacting with fellow passengers, a great deal. An FOD "invitation" is not a deal-breaker for me, nor will it ever be. I am comfortable traveling alone, and meeting new friends along the way, if things work out that way.

I had a wonderful voyage on Radisson, and enjoyed every minute of my vacation. I, personally, don't expect a cruise line to offer more than a wonderful experience for ALL of its passengers, which is what Radisson provided. I would sail again without any concern about FOD listings....

Just my (decidedly un-political) opinion....

Paul

Two different cruise, same ship, Vision of the Seas.

The first cruise, one of the passengers asked the cruise director for a FOD party. It was announced in the daily newsletter and we had wine and hors d' oeuvres courtesty of RCCL.

Second cruise, same ship, 10 months later. Same cruise directory, no FOD party. We asked the cruise director, why not? He replied that no one had requested one.

I'm not saying whether RCCL is gay friendly or not. I think it depends on the particular crew. I certainly wouldn't let that one incident stop me from cruising them again :-)

• 3 years later...

I believe it's RCCL policy not to include ANY private group gatherings in the daily newsletter. Instead, they have a Buletin board near the 24 hour restaurant for any group that wishes to use it. At least that was the policy last November on the Independance.

I believe it's RCCL policy not to include ANY private group gatherings in the daily newsletter. Instead, they have a Buletin board near the 24 hour restaurant for any group that wishes to use it. At least that was the policy last November on the Independance.

Any reason why you brought this thread up after 4 years of inactivity?

RCCL has made it policy to put the gatherings by their reception desk on a cork board on most ships. If you don't know where that is well then you don't know about an FOD that is listed by your fellow passengers. I don't agree with RCI's policy at all. However, that hasn't prevented me from sailing them on the expensive Atlantis charters. (Actually, I sailed Celebrity last and thought RCCL's service and quality was lackluster when I sailed them in 2003.)

It doesn't make any bearing on who I cruise with. I go for the line that gives me the features I want (NCL) and not people who copy them for a higher price (RCCL). I do appreciate that NCL is doing far more than RCCL at this point to attract gay clientele (especially with the inclusion of their White Hot Party night and the daily FOD meetings in their Dailies). :) If another cruise line is sailing where I want to go for a reasonable price then I will book them, more than likely it'd be Princess which also doesn't require you to ask to have a FOD scheduled. :D

I just got off Enchantment of the Seas 2 weeks ago and we had daily FOD meetings in the Schooner Bar at 5pm. It was posted on the bulletin board next to the Shore Excursions desk.

I would prefer just listing a LGBT notice on the boards-at least that way those that don't know what FOD is know what's going on.

We had a great time btw-even though the new CD on EOS is straight as is most of his staff.

:)

I just got off Enchantment of the Seas 2 weeks ago and we had daily FOD meetings in the Schooner Bar at 5pm. It was posted on the bulletin board next to the Shore Excursions desk.

I would prefer just listing a LGBT notice on the boards-at least that way those that don't know what FOD is know what's going on.

Aren't these notices posted by fellow passengers? In any case, why not just take a felt tip pen and write in "LGBT" next to "FOD"? Problem solved.:)

Just to add my 2 cents for what it is worth. I have been on both RCCL & Disney cruises and will be sailing on RCCL w/Atlantis in Jan. Would have liked to see FOD meetings on these cruises as they would have been an easy way to possibly meet dinner partners that might have made eating with strangers more comfortable. But out of all the cruises we have been on we have seen many other GLBT couples and when we say HI or smile in an elevator get back attitude. Would having a meeting place made that any better?

We have been together for 15 years and go on cruises to have a relaxing vacation. If we see other couples on board we are going to say HI and hopefully make friends that we can visit with for the rest of the cruise and maybe keep in touch with after we get home. We always say hello to everyone we meet and have always been treated exceptionally by all the crew that we have come in contact with. We actually had 2 Disney cruise members on our last RCCL cruise that were covering vacations and they remembered us and really made our trip extra special. They went out of there way to make us feel like we were the only people sailing on that cruise.

Anyway maybe just greeting people with a hello and a smile would go a long way to making for possible social gatherings while on board than having the CD post a meeting time.

Michael & Don

Amen!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been on loads of RCCL cruises and NEVER had a problem with any gay issues on board.

We had loads of guys dancing in the night club on Explorer and Navigator once we sorted the music policy. We had the entertainment crew put on an X-Party by the indoor pool one night with go-go boys round the pool.

Some of our party dragged up on party nights much to everyone's enjoyment.

The cabin staff didnt blink an eyelid when my ex and I asked for beds to be joined to make a double.

We even put a sign on the noticeboard advertising FOD Meeting in Sauna and Steam Spa at 3pm .... that was meant to be funny and was received as such... tho the notice we put up offering Friends of BillW meetings in Schooner bar before dinner, wine table at dinner and Cocktail Champagne Bar immediately post dinner, was soon removed :D

The newspapers (Compass) I think are printed well in advance, and no meeting other than BillW have been publicised in those for years, and RCCL have always used this excuse, thought they are certainly NOT homophobic.

I have criticised RCCL and their levels of sevice on here several times, and the way they treat us all like bus passengers even if we have saved for 50 years to do one of their holidays, but this is one subject where I must defend their attitude and official position.

• 2 weeks later...

10 of us (5 "bearish" couples) went on the Explorer back in 2007 - and didn't have any issues at all. Early in the trip we did manage to organize one FOD meeting in a small room off the Viking Lounge (I seem to recall? I was a bit drinky at the time :rolleyes:), that was attended by 6 other people.

One of the skaters from the ice show "hovered" outside for a bit and looked in a few times... ha!

Anyway I didn't notice any kind of ill treatment the entire cruise. One of the crewmembers would call us "The Bear Pack" whenever he saw any of us. We loved it.

We're leaving on the Explorer again on 14Feb10. I'll keep an eye out for FOD notices and get back to you.

I have been on RCCL ships. They will "allow" you to put a FOD notice on their "bulletin board" near the purser's office. How nice! While yes they do not show any discrimination for the most part (it helps quite a number of the crew is family) they at the same time do not go out of their way to acknowledge we exist. That is after they get our money of course. It is all on how you want to be treated.

Princess on the other hand does put GLBT meetings (not FOD!) in their Patters (newsletter) for meetings on every cruise. The meetings are held in a bar of course (not some tiny room) with a crew member present to welcome their GLBT guests. Requests for the posting and meeting do not have to be requested. It will appear on the first day after leaving port. So which cruise line more appreciates their GLBT clients? I have switched to Princess.

FOD meetings (as with all other groups, except Friends of Bill) are posted on the bulletin board, not the Compass. Anyone who's actually read a compas knows that there is little or no room left to post every affinity meeting. That's why they have a bulletin board on every ship, with cards and pencils so that you can post your own meeting.

There has been a FOD meeting on every RCL cruise I've been on (6 so far).

I've been on three RC cruises now and my partner and I have never really had a problem. I agree that ideally FODs should be posted on the Cruise Compass, but I don't think it's necessary. I don't recall Friends of Bill W being posted on the ones I've been on. Those are also posted on the bulletin board.

We're going on Princess for the first time in a few months, so maybe I'll be changing my opinion after that cruise, but for now, I must admit that I'm pretty satisfied with just being able to put an FOD on the bulletin.

What concerns me more about RC is how when we sign up for our set-sail pass, we are required to put in a marital status and there are only two options: single, married. For those of us who are partnered, neither of these two are accurate. I've complained to RC every time I've cruised suggesting that they should put an other category (to encompass partnered, widowed, divorced, et al.), but as of last September, no change. Anyone else annoyed by this?

FOD meetings (as with all other groups, except Friends of Bill) are posted on the bulletin board, not the Compass. Anyone who's actually read a compas knows that there is little or no room left to post every affinity meeting. That's why they have a bulletin board on every ship, with cards and pencils so that you can post your own meeting.

There has been a FOD meeting on every RCL cruise I've been on (6 so far).

I was on the RCI VOS last March. They published a military veterans meeting in the compass and it was hosted by a crew member. I guess they must have found extra room that day!

94.gif

I think Celebrity will be doing something similar on future cruises. I remember there being an FOD meeting notice on the daily bulletin (delivered to the room) on the Century cruise I took Feb '09, but I heard a recent Solstice cruise only had a bulletin board notice for the FOD meeting.

Celebrity recently stopped providing Catholic priests on their ships (except easter/xmas) so I think they're leering of showing favoritism to any other special interest groups since the Catholics has gotten the shaft.

Archived