The Price of "Free"

MadiL

I have to agree with some of the others. If you don't find value in the promo or if you think you're being cheated...simply decline the offer and you won't need to worry about it at all. I've done the math on the UBP and I can say with absolute certainty...it still works out to my benefit. And I remember cruising with the UBP when there was no service charge attached to it and it was a beautiful thing. Would I like it to be absolutely free? Of course, that's a no brainer. But, I'm ok with the slight service charge. It allows me to get loose without worrying about a hit to my wallet. And, it gets me to try new drinks that I would never try if I had to pay full price for it.

But, hey...that's just me. Hope OP enjoys their cruise.

Fine print is fine, but put something that significant right up front, right near FREE, so people know what the real deal is. That's all. They can still read the fine print for the rest of the info like inclusions/exclusions--but something that is going to add an unexpected $250+/- to your bill deserves to be disclosed very, very clearly rather than buried in the fine print.....

LIke this?

nu64IK2WkBye9pZUMyd2BVYKjJHFeOAtF7qbgnIdhlwu_jgWYeXAuEIzpErs5lfOuzwSWB4ycuFP5QG63m2XF0sMjSsysm9hTR5RfOlrE2D7SYz_xxVZGG9VUatBUvispeqUBmu7iZs4TE-filyJ0gRX91SJKhS2obgWHe8N48rpJaGFkvr51TR4lhGKSeZZ796pF0jUJztVr9Dobz0lHI5oEJXT8jYMhc2GvE0Bq_bye0Xmray0oYCFcWiz6s1kUrlLn-bm_jSW8fQcsgb8w1oeFe0DZHGE0030A2aggVUOH4ZpLHENFHVA6neuzJpuI2lmMiwCousM-txqZ0fq83rzNXvj8nzACLh9iAsf1wKWLSbmUxOnPcHgWQvX_BjNU1xyR-7jM7XdIlE_yjGiRDHcxevMdqSWa9vWSpdtEusT6yXx4UuVQa6jFvWvfBbOMw1ybNRzQ_IWk5ILH6kP9P4lCiYN0VLMVVdpgSJUxgxiAmQ2FG3pfV1-RL3GSbt2gH78RdtbqqBpN9oUbY6nc4jrVxA_y5ymQCI4BcnuWecwqMuVp44J38iAziiKXng8wutqIiKSrPV2DoV4H67qD4DpxHU6PwCjJH1ZmbS_BH6sZ6gKIOq0INepGRj1N3lK5YuoGMIEvJ9FqnVvqjLe6sv1H1rmagxV=w922-h469-no

After I saw that I went in and started a fake booking...and nowhere does it disclose Unlimited Open Bar is not 100% free. Sure, I SHOULD read all the ads on the website about FREE open bar elsewhere, but perhaps I just want to book and don't want to look for fine print or qualifiers that don't show up on my booking page.

The additional cost DOES, of course, show up in the total as "special services" on my TA's site, or CHOICE PROMO SVC CHARGE on NCL, AFTER I've already chosen my free UBP, on the following page.

CHOOSE THREE OFFERS: Free Unlimited Open Bar, Shore Excursion Credits, and Wi-Fi PackageUNLIMITED OPEN BAR

Guests 1 & 2 get an Ultimate Beverage Package, including unlimited spirits, cocktails, wine and beer. You save: $89 USD per guest, per day.

+

SHORE EXCURSION CREDITS

Get $50 USD in Shore Excursion Credits at each port of call during your cruise. Credits are applied per stateroom.

+

FREE WI-FI PACKAGE

Get an Internet Package Time Plan with 250 minutes to use throughout the ship. You save: $125 USD.

After I saw that I went in and started a fake booking...and nowhere does it disclose Unlimited Open Bar is not 100% free. Sure, I SHOULD read all the ads on the website about FREE open bar elsewhere, but perhaps I just want to book and don't want to look for fine print or qualifiers that don't show up on my booking page.

The additional cost DOES, of course, show up in the total as "special services" on my TA's site, or CHOICE PROMO SVC CHARGE on NCL, AFTER I've already chosen my free UBP, on the following page.

CHOOSE THREE OFFERS: Free Unlimited Open Bar, Shore Excursion Credits, and Wi-Fi PackageUNLIMITED OPEN BAR

Guests 1 & 2 get an Ultimate Beverage Package, including unlimited spirits, cocktails, wine and beer. You save: $89 USD per guest, per day.

+

SHORE EXCURSION CREDITS

Get $50 USD in Shore Excursion Credits at each port of call during your cruise. Credits are applied per stateroom.

+

FREE WI-FI PACKAGE

Get an Internet Package Time Plan with 250 minutes to use throughout the ship. You save: $125 USD.

If you can’t be bothered to read the terms and conditions of an offer or check the fine print, then you get what you get. That’s on you; not NCL.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Fine print is fine, but put something that significant right up front, right near FREE, so people know what the real deal is. That's all. They can still read the fine print for the rest of the info like inclusions/exclusions--but something that is going to add an unexpected $250+/- to your bill deserves to be disclosed very, very clearly rather than buried in the fine print.....

and just think of all the time it will save TAs and PCC's, as well as aggravation, if you know BEFORE you book that it's going to cost....

plus if you try to do an online booking, notice it shows up NOWHERE on the page of "pick one, two, three" etc items...it is NOT disclosed there at all. When I went to do this booking and checked off I wanted all four free items, then saw the "special services" $250 added to my bill, I had absolutely zero idea what it was for, and had to google for NCL special services - and even then didn't find it. I finally figured it out by process of elimination.

It doesn't have to be that hard. Really!

Although I have to say, the DSC is also not visible anywhere when booking, that's another "hidden cost" for newbies. My TA also "forgot" to mention it, even after we booked. I finally asked him how much it was.

So between the "free" UBP and the undisclosed DSC, my bill has gone up over $500 from the advertised price including port charges.

Yes, someone "should" expect to tip or do DSC, but a newbie isn't going to know about DSC. As strongly as we all feel about properly tipping staff, surely gratuities should be front & center, not snuck on to a bill quietly or months after booking, customer being hit with the prepay DSC bill.

Sorry, off soapbox. Can you tell I'm a fan of clarity & honesty in pricing & advertising?

As an attorney, I do agree with you. Although I am not a frequent NCL cruiser, I have cruised more than a bit, and a newbie, will, potentially, be in for a surprise. At least I know to come to these boards and ask questions when something pops up that I am not used to -- heck, DSC, was always called prepaid gratuities in my book, so had to figure that out!

I understand that there is currently a controversy in airline pricing on line -- taxes and fees are included now, but there's a fight to hide them, just like cruise lines hide a chunk of pricing. This is not good for the consumer, as price comparisons become laborious.

There needs to be an easy way to find answers on the cruise line sites; I don't see any.

Thanks to those who tried explain what the parameters of the value of the UBP is, to me -- still don't know if wine packages are available, instead, or what a glass costs for a medium priced wine, or if the UBP has a specific list of wines that can be chosen, or if the hard liquor includes name brands like Grey Goose, or if the soda is fountain, or canned, and if they carry diet pop that does not contain aspartame. Maybe iced tea (I'll bring my own stevia), and a corkage fee is the way I should go. ;)

As an attorney, I do agree with you. Although I am not a frequent NCL cruiser, I have cruised more than a bit, and a newbie, will, potentially, be in for a surprise. At least I know to come to these boards and ask questions when something pops up that I am not used to -- heck, DSC, was always called prepaid gratuities in my book, so had to figure that out!

I understand that there is currently a controversy in airline pricing on line -- taxes and fees are included now, but there's a fight to hide them, just like cruise lines hide a chunk of pricing. This is not good for the consumer, as price comparisons become laborious.

There needs to be an easy way to find answers on the cruise line sites; I don't see any.

Thanks to those who tried explain what the parameters of the value of the UBP is, to me -- still don't know if wine packages are available, instead, or what a glass costs for a medium priced wine, or if the UBP has a specific list of wines that can be chosen, or if the hard liquor includes name brands like Grey Goose, or if the soda is fountain, or canned, and if they carry diet pop that does not contain aspartame. Maybe iced tea (I'll bring my own stevia), and a corkage fee is the way I should go. ;)

I believe grey goose is still $15 so it is covered on the UPB. Last time I was on belvedere was covered too (my preferred), but I think someone posted it's not anymore. I'll find out Saturday!

The wines are any glass that's under $15. If I remember from two years ago it was a decent list depending on venue, but some on here said it's a short list so I don't know if they stopped carrying as much. I doubt there's a glass under $10...I was on another line recently and they didn't have any under that price.

No idea on soda, don't drink it. I'm guessing fountain though.

As for wine packages, if you actually look at NCL website you can't get any info on wine to buy until you've booked a cruise so it looks to be voyage specific.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk