The Price of "Free"

MadiL

Do you book NCL through Germany or the UK? I think those are the two sales offices in the EU (well, "the EU and maybe the UK"). American consumer protections are below that of the EU and UK generally, and we regularly see stores with "going out of business" sales that go on for years, "Free*" with an asterik, etc. It's why we are cynical about claims. I have heard the UK also prohibits NCL from charging a gratuity on the free promos, and that's probably one reason they went with the all-inclusive fares they now have from that office.

I book through my TA in Holland. The asterisk in Free* is well known over here as well, and it means you need to look at the small print. Probably it would say "offer valid during low season only" or similar. So it could limit the offer to certain times, certain card holders, people who also book this, etc. If you are not eligible there's not much harm done as you just can't make use of an offer that's too good to be true. However, you can't use the asterisk to say "free, except for the $150 bill we call gratuity, handling costs, etc which we will tell you about once you're on the ship".

What would be the problem if NCL would simply include gratuities in advertised prices?

I'm not new to cruising, but I am new to NCL (booked my first cruise with them on Bliss later this year). I was excited by the free perks and planned on getting the beverage package but, like the OP, was a little surprised at just how much my free package would set me back. I actually booked a cruise with Princess at the same time as this booking and got the Sip n Sail package (essentially the same concept - free drinks package). Princess didn't charge for the gratuities as they are included in the package if/when you pay for it - thus they were included in the package when it was given as a free perk. I did the math and figured that the gratuities I would pay on my "free" drink package on NCL probably weren't worth it to me so I opted for the free internet instead (the only free perk that actually WAS free).

I certainly didn't lose any sleep over this, but it was a little disappointing when I got to the booking stage to suddenly see these charges added in! That being said, the price of the cruise I booked on Bliss is now three times what I locked in at so I guess I still win! ;p

If you have to pay postage, it wasn’t free - it’s a matter of degrees.

I think I wasn't clear. That would be postage for the letter to request the free thing, not to get it delivered.

With hotels, you may also have “resort fees” - I’ve been amazed to find some crappy hotels were actually resorts!

That said, the gratuities on the various packages are at least charges for items you have chosen to use. Resort fees are for weight rooms, swimming pools, saunas and other items I will never use, especially on an overnight stay.

In many threads I see that ships can't offer nice things, because if someone allergic to peanuts would take part in a midnight peanut butter extravaganza, they would sue and the line would settle. But if you book a hotel and it's totally OK to be charged for a sauna you didn't even know they had, that's the very other end of the spectrum.

They can't include the cost of the gratuities in the price because the price varies depending on what perks you choose. So for those you can choose more than one perk you'd have to sift through something like ten different prices to choose which one you want.

I don't get why it's that confusing. Royal and carnival charge gratuities on top of their drink packages. And almost every time I've compared like for like NCL wins because of the free package. Yea it's $120, but royal is around $450.

If you don't like it, at least ncl lets you not pick it vs raise everyone's rates regardless of whether you drink.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It seems the folks who cry the most over being nickeled and dimed are the same ones who squeeze their nickels and dime so hard that they turn to dust. I'm not endorsing the idea that you shouldn't have a financial plan and set a budget, but it's supposed to be a vacation. A time to relax and have a little fun. You can do that pretty easily if you take a little time up front and look at the bill. That bottom line price is always there in black and white if you take the time to read it. So here's a novel thought for you; if you don't like the price or the practices of a cruise line, either pick a different line or stay home and watch TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The part that I am not happy with is they are charging you the amount in tips for the maximum number of drinks each day. If you have one drink or ten drinks, it's the same amount. Crazy!!!

The package may not be for you...math is easy..not crazy...I love the perk myself..

They can't include the cost of the gratuities in the price because the price varies depending on what perks you choose. So for those you can choose more than one perk you'd have to sift through something like ten different prices to choose which one you want.

Yes they can. When they offered it 2016 and before the gratuities were included. No multiple prices to choose from.

Yes they can. When they offered it 2016 and before the gratuities were included. No multiple prices to choose from.
Must have been real early in 2016. I went on a cruise in February that year and had to pay gratuities.

..I was used to sailing on Regent and Silversea, and when they say it's free, it's free - or I should say, included in the cruise fare that's published. No extra added charges at the time of booking. I wish NCL would follow suit.

In the "...included in the cruise fare..." scenario, everyone pays for what they may or may not want. If "Bill" never drinks and "Tom" is a lush, with both paying the same, Bill is paying for Tom's drinks to a degree.

By making the UBP promo optional, Bill doesn't have to pay for something that isn't for him. Some people call options "nickel and dime" but people aren't forced to pay for options.

The part that I am not happy with is they are charging you the amount in tips for the maximum number of drinks each day. If you have one drink or ten drinks, it's the same amount. Crazy!!!

There isn't a "maximum number of drinks" with the UBP. The service charge is based on the cost of the package, not the drink.

If they rephrased the promo as "unlimited drinks for less than $18 per day*", people would love it.

*Each drink must be $15 or less. If more than $15 for a drink, a $15 credit is given per drink.

I frankly think it's deceptive. I did just booked with Norwegian for the getaway for a 7-night cruise. I just got off a Celebrity Cruise and I have also done to other Celebrity Cruises within the last three to four years as well as in Oceania Cruise. At no time was I charged any additional fee for my perk of a free beverage package. I always tip extra to the bartenders in cash as we go. We still decided to go on Norwegian even though I find this advertisement of an included ultimate beverage package to be a bit misleading. Yes the fine print is there but still it's an additional charge. If it wasn't for interest in wanting to check out there Norwegian line and see how it compared to celebrity I probably would have just booked the celebrity again.

I book through my TA in Holland. The asterisk in Free* is well known over here as well, and it means you need to look at the small print. Probably it would say "offer valid during low season only" or similar. So it could limit the offer to certain times, certain card holders, people who also book this, etc. If you are not eligible there's not much harm done as you just can't make use of an offer that's too good to be true. However, you can't use the asterisk to say "free, except for the $150 bill we call gratuity, handling costs, etc which we will tell you about once you're on the ship".

What would be the problem if NCL would simply include gratuities in advertised prices?

NCL in the UK has done that. It makes the fares look higher, and people seem to gravitate to the lowest priced fare before they engage and start to do a booking. When they are so engaged they will accept many more add ons and upcharges than the difference in the initial fares that prompted them to choose the lower fare with the higher add on costs.

All of us say we hate that yet time and time again, the lower priced cruise fare, before extras, is the winner. So they all play that game.

I just booked with NCL. If you are new to cruising, or even if you aren't, you might want to know that all the "Free at Sea" options are not actually free. On a one week cruise we were asked to pay $155 per person in service charges if we chose the beverage package. This, they said, was to cover "tips", but was in addition to the traditional service charge that is added every day. We sailed with Norwegian a couple of years ago and got the beverage package,which was at that time actually free. I do not like their deceptive marketing and very nearly walked out on the travel agent when I heard about it. :mad:

Then by all means, don’t choose the package. Problem solved.

I frankly think it's deceptive. I did just booked with Norwegian for the getaway for a 7-night cruise. I just got off a Celebrity Cruise and I have also done to other Celebrity Cruises within the last three to four years as well as in Oceania Cruise. At no time was I charged any additional fee for my perk of a free beverage package. I always tip extra to the bartenders in cash as we go. We still decided to go on Norwegian even though I find this advertisement of an included ultimate beverage package to be a bit misleading. Yes the fine print is there but still it's an additional charge. If it wasn't for interest in wanting to check out there Norwegian line and see how it compared to celebrity I probably would have just booked the celebrity again.

You can’t please everyone all time...

I also cruise on Celebrity and don't pay the gratuities on top of their beverage package, but I pay a whole lot more for my cruise fare on Celebrity than I do on NCL, even taking into account the gratuities on the UBP and SDP.

It is really easy not to pay the gratuities, just don't pick the UBP or SDP as perks.

How many times a week does this forum go through this discussion?

To the OP: Do you really think you're the first person to realize this on the most populated crusing forum and just had to post it? If you had any common sense you would know that nothing is "free" and shouldn't have been surprised. Do you honnestly think that a company that takes in Billions of dollors in revenues every year will care if you threaten to take your few thousand dollars somewhere else. Its a free market and you can take your business somewhere else if you don't like their terms or business practices.

I also cruise on Celebrity and don't pay the gratuities on top of their beverage package,

Huh?

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/onboard-packages/beverage-packages/premium-classic-and-standard

Additional Info

*All prices listed are in USD and are subject to change without notice. An 18% service charge will be added to Soda, Wine, Water, Classic, and Premium Package prices at checkout.

I also cruise on Celebrity and don't pay the gratuities on top of their beverage package, but I pay a whole lot more for my cruise fare on Celebrity than I do on NCL, even taking into account the gratuities on the UBP and SDP.

It is really easy not to pay the gratuities, just don't pick the UBP or SDP as perks.

I just looked and to get the Premium drink package for a verandah cabin on an Alaskan cruise I looked at it required the "Go Best" package with a surcharge of $315 per person. I did the math and backed out the OBC and the free daily gratuities and the net was $127 extra for the Internet service and Premium drink package for the cruise I think the gratuities on the free-with-an-asterik UBP would be about $249 for two people for 7 days on NCL, so it's still a good deal. But you are paying something for the upgrade to a plan that allows you more than $8 per drink. I think X's way is more transparent.

I just looked and to get the Premium drink package for a verandah cabin on an Alaskan cruise I looked at it required the "Go Best" package with a surcharge of $315 per person. I did the math and backed out the OBC and the free daily gratuities and the net was $127 extra for the Internet service and Premium drink package for the cruise I think the gratuities on the free-with-an-asterik UBP would be about $249 for two people for 7 days on NCL, so it's still a good deal. But you are paying something for the upgrade to a plan that allows you more than $8 per drink. I think X's way is more transparent.
It's maybe what you're familiar with? I find it rather difficult to compare apples to apples. I know with NCL I just add the $124 in but with celebrity I've found I had to go through the whole mock booking to find the true price and then back everything out. Usually I'm like wow it's a great price with the perks, but then you choose the perks and suddenly the price is higher than the price I saw when I said yes I wanna go better or whatever it is.

I have to admit, I skimmed through all these posts. we have gotten drink packages with two different lines. On Celebrity is was included. With Carnival, it was purchased. My question is about 'private islands'. Does NCL accept the drink packages there? Celebrity does, Carnival does not. That would also be a factor in whether I would choose that particular perk.

I have to admit, I skimmed through all these posts. we have gotten drink packages with two different lines. On Celebrity is was included. With Carnival, it was purchased. My question is about 'private islands'. Does NCL accept the drink packages there? Celebrity does, Carnival does not. That would also be a factor in whether I would choose that particular perk.
On Great Stirrup Cay - yes. On Harvest Caye - no.