Daytona 500? broadcast on ship

kms5555

I have only seen sport playoffs televised live on the ship. We have watched the World Series Baseball and Super Bowl on the ship. I have never seen anything else televised live. The ship in the Western hemisphere does have CNN, MSNBC and Fox news programs on the TV. However those are news programs and may talk about certain sporting events but not to live stream them.

We were just on 7 Caribbean cruises from De 1 to Ja 28 on the Crown, Pacific and Regal. They had the football playoffs on Crown and Regal on MUTS and in cabin plus 1 bar. I didn't pay attention but there was some college game also.

One correction to post above - no CNN available. Watching MSNBC and switching over to FOX is like watching news from 2 completely different countries.

Last summer my coffee shop buddy told me that he'd booked another cruise--Hawaii. The last few years he has always had five or six cruises scheduled. So, this was not particularly earthshaking news. I did, though, ask when.

"Next January 18."

It took me about 12 milliseconds to realize the implication of that date.

"So, you're not going to go to Daytona for the 24 Hour." Every year he travels back for that race.

A stunned look immediately hit his face.

"I can't believe I didn't think of that."

Too late. There's no way he's going to tell his wife that they couldn't take the Hawaii cruise.

Fast forward to this past weekend. The XBGuys are watching the Daytona 24. I mention to Mrs. XBGuy that we are going to be missing the Daytona 500 because we are going to be cruising.

"What? How can that be?"

She was pretty disappointed. No, she was more than disappointed. Now, the good news, from my point of view, is that she is the one who proposed this exact cruise.

She did see some irony, though. "I was laughing at Ron because he forgot about the Daytona 24, and, then, I go and do the same thing."

So, we will DVR the race and enjoy our cruise. The risk, of course, is that we might be denied if there is a rain delay, but what are you going to do? Some people have real problems. I'm not worried, at all, about hearing the results before we get back home. When I am on a cruise, I am "off the grid."

:D