Cruise Independence Right Before Refurb?

paulmlac

We are thinking of booking Independence in March. I have read on the internet that it's supposed to be refurbed in April. So, basically, we're probably going to see it at it's worst. Would anyone avoid a ship right before a refurb?

The additional stuff to do on Independence is appealing (flowrider, ice rink, more restaurants). We'd end up in an oceanview cabin though based on availability.

The other option is Brilliance & we'd be able to get a balcony cabin there.

Cruising will be mom, dad, a 17 yr old daughter, & a 14 yr old boy.

Thanks in advance for any input the group has!

• 3 weeks later...
I thought I have read it is a mess/certain areas blocked, etc right before refurb.... I would avoid if possible.

No, not normally. With few exceptions most Dry Docks are just 5 yr check/maintenance of below waterline. This isn't a "Refurbishment" where they replace all beds, dressers, carter, curtains in rooms just isn't done...

Now if something is that bad they will normally fix or replace that item yr round. And they will add cabins or change venues of some ships during the extended Dry Dock downtime.

We were on Brilliance right before a refurb. Probably the worst part was them ripping out the carpets in the Schooner bar and some other venues and hallways while we still onboard. The amount of the dust and particles in the air was horrendous. Everyone in our party came down with respiratory illnesses during/after that cruise. The workers were wearing filtering face pieces, but of course, the passengers weren't. :)