Circumnavigating Australia on the Sea Princess

Ken the cruiser

Two reasons.

Walking opposite to everyone else allows you to say "Hello" and pass pleasant comments.

It is like a very big roundabout, in some countries you drive round it clockwise and in others anticlockwise, some people walk the direction they drive.

Well there you go then. I had a feeling that was the answer. I'll just make sure I stay in my own lane when making a blind left turn around the corner.

Going from Honolulu to Sydney on the NCL Jewel the lecture the first sea day was Pearl Harbor: Fact, Myth,Truth, and Deception. As you can imagine the theater was "packed". People started walking out quite soon after it had started and by the end there were lots less present. There were lots of murmurs about the lecturer and I, among others, certainly passed on my feelings to the HD. Later on the cruise I went in to the theater to see how many were there, very sparse audiences. What a waste.

I believe we may have had the same lecturer on our Star cruise to Hawaii this past September. The gentleman is retired physics professor who has written books on non-linear physics. I attended several of his lectures (on everything from "The formation of the Hawaiian Islands", "Captain Cook's voyages", "The 1941 Attack on Pearl Harbor, "Latitude and Longitude", to "The pleasure of thinking" and others) - mostly for the entertainment value.

My conclusion is that any one of us could pick a subject for each day of a cruise, Google it, read a couple of articles, put together a Powerpoint and get hired by Princess as an "Enrichment Lecturer". There is clearly no peer review of his presentations.

Edited by WVBill

My conclusion is that any one of us could pick a subject for each day of a cruise, Google it, read a couple of articles, put together a Powerpoint and get hired by Princess as an "Enrichment Lecturer". There is clearly no peer review of his presentations.

I totally agree; I would love to talk about Genealogy!! Even for only 1 lecture!!

Yes, both the Sea and Sun have full Promenade Decks that are one level for walking. Three laps to mile. Unfortunately, too many walkers refuse to follow the directional arrows (left turns) and it can get interesting in the very narrow corridor at the bow with people meeting head on.

I have cruised on the Sun P several times and the Sea many times, the last ending two days ago. I have never seen any arrows to indicate which direction people should walk on the promenade deck. I have also looked for a sign, but could only see one advising that three circuits equals a mile. When I go out onto the deck, I pause to see which way most of the people are walking and go with them. On this last cruise it was counter-clockwise. Maybe it seems natural for Australians to turn left and go counter-clockwise because we drive on the left.

I have cruised on the Sun P several times and the Sea many times, the last ending two days ago. I have never seen any arrows to indicate which direction people should walk on the promenade deck. I have also looked for a sign, but could only see one advising that three circuits equals a mile. When I go out onto the deck, I pause to see which way most of the people are walking and go with them. On this last cruise it was counter-clockwise. Maybe it seems natural for Australians to turn left and go counter-clockwise because we drive on the left.
Counter-clockwise is good. Just like track and field, car and horse races. They all go counter-clockwise. It's those folks that walk clockwise, against the norm so to speak, we wonder about. But that's OK. When you're on vacation, you should be able to go in whatever direction suits your fancy.

...Unfortunately, too many walkers refuse to follow the directional arrows (left turns)...

Well, it isn't always left turns or counter-clockwise (anti-clockwise for Australians, New Zealanders, etc). It depends on the ship. I just disembarked the Sea Princess in Brisbane 3 days ago and the direction on the port side of the ship the arrow pointed clockwise (right turns)

If you want to go with the flow just look for the sign. I know for a fact that the Sun, Sea, Diamond, and Golden all have a sign because I have sailed on them and have seen it. They are not consistent, even thought it's the same sign. If it's posted on the cabin side of the Promenade Deck it shows the arrow clockwise. Take that same sign and post it on the opposite wall, the sea side, and it shows the flow going counter-clockwise. Could be a simple mistake, a crew member is told to put the sign on the wall of the Promenade Deck not having a clue that it makes a difference.

I totally agree; I would love to talk about Genealogy!! Even for only 1 lecture!!

and coin collecting:D

So how is the sea Princess.....will be doing the fall cruise OP is speaking of.....?

So how is the sea Princess.....will be doing the fall cruise OP is speaking of.....?

The Sea Princess is in quite good shape. In the last re-fit carpets were replaced in most public areas including the corridors. The furniture in the Vista Lounge has been replaced or reupholstered. The Wheelhouse Bar looked OK. The furniture there was replaced fairly recently. I noticed that the Happy Hour was in the Wheelhouse Bar from 3-4pm, not in the Legends Bar, but that might depend on the Cruise Director or Hotel Manager. The Sea Princess now has Anytime DIning for dinner in the restaurant on deck 6.:)

The Sea Princess now has Anytime DIning for dinner in the restaurant on deck 6

We did two cruises on Princess in the Northern Summer; on one there was Anytime which we took and on the other only Traditional. While we have chosen Traditional here we would not choose Anytime on Princess till we know that there have been enormous changes in the way Princess does Anytime Dining. In comparison to NCL Princess's Anytime is Mickey Mouse when compared to NCL's Freestyle Dining.

We're thinking of booking a club mini-suite on the circumnavigation cruise. Does anyone have experience staying in a club mini-suite on the Sea Princess and, if so, how was it?

Mini suites on Sea princess are like 2 cabins side by side. Not long and narrow as some others are. More like a full suite on other Princess ships. Enjoy.

The Sea Princess now has Anytime DIning for dinner in the restaurant on deck 6

We did two cruises on Princess in the Northern Summer; on one there was Anytime which we took and on the other only Traditional. While we have chosen Traditional here we would not choose Anytime on Princess till we know that there have been enormous changes in the way Princess does Anytime Dining. In comparison to NCL Princess's Anytime is Mickey Mouse when compared to NCL's Freestyle Dining.

We have just returned from a 14 night cruise cruise on the Sea Princess. We had Anytime Dining and found it worked very well. We usually went shortly after 5.30, but enjoyed not having to feel we would be keeping a table-full of people waiting if we were 10 or 15 minutes late. Every night the waiters asked for passengers' cabin numbers. I can only assume it was to check that they were registered for Anytime and not for Traditional, thereby leaving their allocated seating vacant in the deck 5 restaurant.

Every night the waiters asked for passengers' cabin numbers. I can only assume it was to check that they were registered for Anytime and not for Traditional, thereby leaving their allocated seating vacant in the deck 5 restaurant.

If people were found to be Traditional Diners were they asked to leave?

That would be one of the major problems solved if done every time. BUT why is it done by the waiters not being done as you arrive at the desk?

If people were found to be Traditional Diners were they asked to leave?

That would be one of the major problems solved if done every time. BUT why is it done by the waiters not being done as you arrive at the desk?

I didn't see anyone asked to leave, but I doubt that they would do that. It would be horribly embarrassing and not the way Princess usually handles things (IMHO). Maybe the list of people in the anytime dining room is checked later and if people are there when they are booked in TD, they are contacted privately on the matter. On the other hand, just the fact that room numbers are recorded would probably be enough to stop a TD person from going to the ATD room a second time.

I wondered why the question wasn't asked when we entered the dining room, but I could see that it would cause quite a delay that would just escalate. The way it was handled, we either walked straight in or had a delay of literally a minute or two. We like to share a dining table to meet people, but I saw people who were asking for a table for two, being given a 'beeper'. Also, when we left the dining room around 7.15 there was sometimes a line-up of around 8 to 10 people.

The Sea Princess is in quite good shape. In the last re-fit carpets were replaced in most public areas including the corridors. The furniture in the Vista Lounge has been replaced or reupholstered. The Wheelhouse Bar looked OK. The furniture there was replaced fairly recently. I noticed that the Happy Hour was in the Wheelhouse Bar from 3-4pm, not in the Legends Bar, but that might depend on the Cruise Director or Hotel Manager. The Sea Princess now has Anytime DIning for dinner in the restaurant on deck 6.:)

Thax for the info the last time I was on this class of Princess ship was the Dawn in '98...I looked at the deck plans and honestly can't get a feel for it....I did see she had a refurb in 2015. Appreciate your input.

We use the term "Mickey Mouse" in the UK and NZ to denigrate something that we consider to be far inferior to something else. No I wasn't trying to be funny, I really meant it. Anytime Dining on Princess can't "hold a candle" to Freestyle Dining on NCL Well it couldn't when we tried Anytime Dining last northern summer. That was confirmed when we again had Freestyle Dining in the autumn.

Mini suites on Sea princess are like 2 cabins side by side. Not long and narrow as some others are. More like a full suite on other Princess ships. Enjoy.

Interesting...no wonder they were all sold out.......also there are very few on the ship. Actually almost everything was sold out when I booked....

We use the term "Mickey Mouse" in the UK and NZ to denigrate something that we consider to be far inferior to something else. No I wasn't trying to be funny, I really meant it. Anytime Dining on Princess can't "hold a candle" to Freestyle Dining on NCL Well it couldn't when we tried Anytime Dining last northern summer. That was confirmed when we again had Freestyle Dining in the autumn.

So how does freestyle work......?

We (a couple) turn up when we want to eat, and unless it is at the really busy time, get seated immediately and served immediately. The main difference is that NCL has a VERY large number of 2 tops. which they will double up if they become short of 4 tops.

There are others but that is the clincher for us.

In Nov /Dec we did Yokohama to Sydney and had a wonderful lecturer going from Darwin and down the inside of the Great Barrier Reef. His name is Pilot Wel

He held lectures, but also his commentary came over the PA and was broadcast on the tv live as we came to interesting points around the Cape.

He used to be a captain and is now a ship's pilot, and he had so much knowledge about the history of the islands.

He made the sea days very very interesting, and helped make it a very memorable cruise!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Anytime dining if they would have kept it, like it was in the beginning no reservations at all. then in my opinion it would truly be Anytime.

Being one who has done roughly 100 days(1-21 & 1-14 all the rest 7 or less) on princess in the last 3 years utilizing Any Time dining..I believe the smoothness of Anytime has to do with ship, guest mix and length of cruise.

I have seen it run smoothly and other times total frustration for pax and staff especially on 7 or shorter day cruises.

We seldom make reservations....

Regard taking of names... Almost on all my cruises, and on the first and sometimes up to the 3rd or 4th evening there is a request to look at your cruise card to see that you do indeed have Anytime, and then request your cabin #. BTW... these are ships hold 1000+ more pax than Sea Princess, so maybe this info does not apply.

But, often during the first and second night, at traditional dining time many people arrive at the Anytime dining room and have to be redirected.

Also just and interesting tidbit......table numbers change after the first night in Anytime.

Edited by land lover