MSC Orchestra Worst Cruise Ever

Kaetlyncrna

To answer your questions, we loved the ports. It was a port intensive itinerary to include Marseille France, Barcelona, three stops in Greece, Crete, Malta. We did the Explorer package through MSC and were very pleased so were able to see three ports. My favorite ports were Rome, Olympia, and Athens. I did like walking around in Malta, Barcelona, but did not care much for Marseille France. I felt that the excursions booked through MSC were very reasonable, and was very pleased with our excursions.

This was my first European cruise so after reading a lot of comments, I understand that I am fairly naïve to things such as the language. I have done over seas cruises with the American cruise lines and was used to English being spoken first and then the other languages later so I acknowledge that I need to just get used to help things are done. Since English is such a universal language, I guess I expected it to be first and then whatever other languages on board, be spoken later. As far as the pushing and shoving, yes there was a lot of that to the buffet, and to all of the shuttles or wherever a line is supposed to be done.There was no orderly process and it was very frightening to me. I have cruised a fair amount, and can say that this was, overall, the rudest passengers I had ever encountered. My travel partner who had done 110 countries at last count, and multiple cruises, agreed that it was the worst food and rudest passengers he had ever encountered also. Maybe it was just the luck of the draw and this just happened to be this particular cruise. For your sake I hope so.

As for the beverage package, my issue was that they did not inform me in the downstairs dining room. I knew ahead of time what was being charged and not, but I was very surprised there was not ice tea on the upstairs buffet and the only options were water or coffee. When I went to the downstairs restaurant my first night, the server asked if I would like some wine; when II declined,he proceeded to pour me water, not telling me that it was a charge. My issue was that there was no regular water available and you either had to buy wine or had to buy bottled water to eat in the downstairs dining room.

As for the state room, we had a balcony state room and we’re very pleased for the most part. I hope you were not booked on the 12th floor. The issue with our state room was that it was directly below the buffet. We had originally had a partial view state room and they upgraded us to this one. Unfortunately at around 4 AM every morning we could hear the pounding, clanging, and furniture being moved around from the buffet. We had originally picked a state room that was in an ideal spot, but when they upgraded us, we had no choice but to take the one they had given us. The view was very good, and I was very happy about that. Our state room steward kept the state room very clean and orderly and I was very pleased with that aspect of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, I am sorry you did not like your cruise. From those points you have written here, your disappointment, I guess, that more than being the fault from MSC is that you are used to US American cruise lines and maybe you did not research enough before your cruise with MSC.

Interesting that you realize now that English, even though it is wide spoken, it is not the only main language in the world.

Your disappointment with the beverage issue in the main dining room is also a difference on how things are done in USA and in the rest of the world. In Europe and in most other countries outside the USA, you do not get complimentary water in restaurants. We always have to pay for our water. On the other hand, prices on our restaurants are final and do not come with the "disappointment" of extra charges for taxes and gratuities. I remember me complaining once because of those extra charges in US restaurants. I was not well informed. But now I know.

Your dissatisfaction with the noise of your cabin is probably a result of not looking carefully at your cabin location at the time of booking. Like they say "location, location and location" are very important criteria when choosing a cabin. Never take a cabin in an etage, which is inmediatly below the swimming pool, restaurants or spa. Also avoid those below the theater or place where it could be dragging of chairs at early hours. This is valid for any cruise line you choose. Also for US cruise lines. Sorry you had to learn it on the hard way with your cruise with MSC.

In relation to those points, I think that your travel agent has failed to give you the right information and advice.

Maybe one day, you will be able to look at this situation as a learning experience and who knows you might give MSC another chance. Now you now what to expect if you book with them.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

Thank you so much. We did not research MSC much ahead of time and perhaps that is part of the issue. They had a good two for one special and it was with all the ports we were wanting to see, so we took advantage of it.

As for cabin location, I agree with you. We originally had a cabin with a partial view and a much more ideal location, but MSC upgraded us to the balcony and assigned our room. Initially we were very excited about it but then got a little suspicious on our first night and we started hearing all the noise. We realized that we were not in a very good location and the one that we had originally chosen what is better. Since we were upgraded without a choice, there was nothing we can do about it.

Unless the food quality improves with MSC, I doubt I will give them another try, but would be open to many of the other European cruise lines that I have not tried yet. Food on this cruise really was quite bad. That coupled with the way my luggage issue was handled, would probably preclude me from wanting to try MSC again unless they do some sort of follow up, which I doubt.

As for food,I did enjoy going to some of the restaurants on shore and it was different not having to pay the extra charges. I liked that and enjoyed getting the authentic Italian food.

Thank you for the feedback and the education. This trip has been a learning experience for me and I realize there’s so much I still have yet to learn when traveling internationally. My travel partner has a lot more experience then me, but some of this took him a back as well. Thank you again for your feedback. Happy cruising

I find it odd that one of the common complaints I see about MSC is that they do announcements in several languages.

If you've done 2 minutes of research on MSC you should be aware that there is a good chance of several nationalities being on board. If you want to stay cozy in your safe North American shell, venture no further than Carnival.

The times that unfamiliarity with language is when settling problems and during emergencies. People on the crew who do not speak another language fluently and even many who do speak it fluently, can forget the second language in an emergency. People were found drowned in their cabins on the Costa Concordia because they were waiting for announcements. Of course, language unfamiliarity is convenient when trying to solve customer issues. ( /sarc)

I've been trying to decide if I want to try MSC's offer of status matching. Comments on this and other threads lead me to believe that maybe I shouldn't. Lest you think I'm an insular American. . .nope, have lived and traveled overseas for several years.

I've been trying to decide if I want to try MSC's offer of status matching. Comments on this and other threads lead me to believe that maybe I shouldn't. Lest you think I'm an insular American. . .nope, have lived and traveled overseas for several years.

If you are going to go on an MSC ship then you should definitely Status Match even if it is only to get the 5%

discount.

And I'm telling you as one of the badly affected Black Card holders (who got my card the hard way)

It would be sad to miss out on some nice perks just because a few disgruntled posters ( which includes me) have crossed swords with people who status match.

Pete

Thanks for your review. May I ask what the Explorer package is for excursions?

We are sailing on Orchestra in April. This is actually our 4th MSC cruise. The price is hard to beat!

On past cruises, we really enjoyed the pizza and pasta stations at the buffet for lunch, but did find food in the MDR at dinner pretty mediocre. They also seem to have few "everyday items" - some nights not offering any "everyday items".

Thanks for your review. May I ask what the Explorer package is for excursions?

We are sailing on Orchestra in April. This is actually our 4th MSC cruise. The price is hard to beat!

On past cruises, we really enjoyed the pizza and pasta stations at the buffet for lunch, but did find food in the MDR at dinner pretty mediocre. They also seem to have few "everyday items" - some nights not offering any "everyday items".

Tampagirl

The explorer package is a combo of three different ports and specific tours. It should be in the pamphlet for your particular cruise. Not sure if it is offered for each cruise. I cannot argue the Price of the MSC cruises as they are very good. However for us, other things such as better quality of food are worth paying a little more for. Check with MSC to see if they have an explore package for your particular cruise. It generally is a combo of two or three excursions. Hope this helps.

Tampagirl

The explorer package is a combo of three different ports and specific tours. It should be in the pamphlet for your particular cruise. Not sure if it is offered for each cruise. I cannot argue the Price of the MSC cruises as they are very good. However for us, other things such as better quality of food are worth paying a little more for. Check with MSC to see if they have an explore package for your particular cruise. It generally is a combo of two or three excursions. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much!