Carnival Magic 1/27/18 review and comparison between my cruises on RC and Carnival

PghSunny

Thanks for doing your review and comparison.

Just a side note, I agree with about Carnival's beds. I went on RCI and just returned from a Celebrity cruise and I missed my Carnival bed. I also almost booked the Harmony with my daughter and family but we ended up booking the Horizon which has now become the Pride. A big difference but she wanted to change the cruise to closer to home. We only live about 75 miles from the Pride's home port and she thought that traveling with children it would be easier than flying to Miami.

Thanks for your review

Our first cruise was on Disney and then, to save money, we switched over to Carnival and did 8 cruises. Last one being on the Magic. We loved Carnival, no complaints. But one day, last summer, I was looking at 3 day cruises to take DH for his birthday, also our Anniversary. The perfect fit was on Royal. So, what the hay. I booked it.

Well, my thoughts are very similar to yours, OP. I found Carnival a tad better in almost every way. Drink waiters actually come around on CCL. The MDR food and promptness (man, our dinners were like 2 hours on Royal and to boot, they seated us with an older pair of ladies who were relatives...on an Anniversary cruise) better on CCL. The beds are better on CCL. I even found the buffet better on CCL. We like to watch karaoke and that is offered more often on Carnival. One, and only one, area Royal did better was getting us on and off the ship very quickly (always long lines on CCL). So that was big for me, I did really like that. And then when I won bingo, on the Royal cruise, we marched right up to future cruise desk and booked our whole family of 5 for Jan 2019.

Last weekend, though, we just couldn't be without Carnival anymore so we booked the Horizon for Oct, just DH and I. Now I really wish the Royal cruise in Jan could be dumped. The Grandeur is for sale, I read, so fingers crossed it gets bought and we can cancel.

Thanks for the review and the comparisons. I was on the Indy about two weeks ago and we're booked for the Magic in October so it's a valuable read.

Have to say, I agree with you about almost everything in your review. There are many things that Carnival does a little better than Royal -- and some things a lot better. Food (and above all, free/included food CHOICES) seems to be a common refrain there. Bed comfort is another. Little things, like fast, efficient electronic check-in for muster drill (Vista, 10/2017)....whereas on the Indy, I was dumbfounded to see them using a printed list. :o

Thanks again for the review!